Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

You know what would be awful?

If the baron of Hell, cacodemon, and the revenant all carried chainguns with the same tics and speed as the heavy weapon dude. 

The infighting would be insane and mostly decided by max HP at that point

Spoiler

5jDpMg9.png

Yo dawg, we heard you like chaingunners, so we put some rapid-fire hitscanners in your monster closets so you can RIP while you run.

25 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

lost soul with chaingun

Thought about it, but there's limits, man. 

Lost Soul with Berserk Fist, Revenant's missiles with noclip, actions from @Job fantasy/avatar turn to reality.

Awful thing that actually happened to me - Archvile revived Revenant squashed by elevator.

1 hour ago, BBQgiraffe said:

lost soul with chaingun

44 minutes ago, Job said:

Fun fact: The beta version of Doom (Press Release version) actually had a lost soul with a ranged hitscan attack (not continuous like the chaingunners, but still)

3 hours ago, Job said:

I've actually managed to somehow make a custom enemy that actually did fire while charging. I don't know how I done it, but it WAS a side effect.

I'll see your hitscan rockets and raise you a dual-wielding SSG with a tightly focused spread and zero cooldown 

It would be even more awful if they all had the Zombieman attack because then the game would be really boring.

Job's idea would be a lot less awful. I decided to prove it by making it! 

badguycg.zip

Just load that DEH in your favorite port and enjoy getting perforated.

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It would be even more awful if they all had the Zombieman attack because then the game would be really boring.

Job's idea would be a lot less awful. I decided to prove it by making it! 

badguycg.zip

Just load that DEH in your favorite port and enjoy getting perforated.

Genius! I'd love to try this, but I'm at work. Anyone willing to post a demo video or LMP? 

15 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

It'd be worst of all if it were Chuck Norris.

that feeling when your opponent has IDDQD instead of you :*(

33 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Please tell me there is Chuck Norris Doom out there somewhere 

I've played it. It works like this.

1. You spawn in E1M1/MAP01.
  2. The Spider Mastermind/Icon of Sin dies in E3M8/MAP30.
  3. Roll credits!

On 10/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, Job said:

If the baron of Hell, cacodemon, and the revenant all carried chainguns with the same tics and speed as the heavy weapon dude. 

Cacodemon and Revenant:

• Actually, as long as the cacodemon and revenant retained the same pain chance, whether they had chainguns would be incidental because you could still stun-lock them with relative ease, assuming you had the proper weapons to do that.
  • If the revenant still had rockets and a punch and the cacodemon still spit lightning balls and had a bite attack, and they would only use the chaingun at certain distances, they would be essentially the same enemies that they are now.
    • If the use of the chaingun was determined by RNG, that would be a bit of a pain, because you would lose predictability in how the monsters would attack and when they would attack that way.
      • I suppose then, you could just get next to them, forcing them to melee, assuming the chaingun didn't replace the melee attack (see next bullet point, no pun intended).
  • If the chainguns replaced their melee attacks, them having chainguns would likely be incidental because you would just have to keep them at a distance and fight them the same way you do now.

Baron of Hell:

• A chaingun-wielding Baron of Hell would be a bit of a pain to fight, due to the hitscan nature of the attack, but it would be great in infighting situations.
  • Similar to the first two monsters, if the chaingun was only an option based on distance or replaced the melee attack, it wouldn't be much of an issue, for the same reasons described above. Similarly, if the chaingun use was dictated by RNG, that would be a bit more of a pain due to a loss of predictability.

So, all in all, the situation you present wouldn't really suck all that much or at least not any more than usual.

What it would do was present interesting challenges for mappers to effectively use these new chaingun-wielding monsters to maximum advantage, which, if done properly, might elevate them higher on the "Monster X sucks" scale.

But the most awful thing of everything you ever can imagine would be...

* D * A * I * K * A * T * A * N * A *   II

I always thought rocket launcher zombies and plasma gun zombies would've been an awesome addition to Doom and a great expansion to its' techbase side.  Like the plasma zombies just shoot single shots, like at the same rate as the trooper/shotgunner, but of course if there's a group of them it would turn into chaos - and then rocket launcher zombies.... just imagine the carnage.

And I always thought the arch-vile should've had a melee attack.