Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka with OpenGL, please test

Here is a version of Eureka DOOM Editor which has been updated to use OpenGL for rendering the map views (both 2D and 3D).  I would appreciate it if some people could test this Windows package and let me know if it works or not.  For Linux you would need to get the source from git and checkout the "gl-3d" branch, and compile it yourself.  I cannot build the MacOS package.

eureka-124p93.zip

Edited by andrewj : updated attached package

Seems to work okay for me. I ran around both Doom II's MAP01 and Heretic's E1M1 without issue, stuff displays apparently as expected in both 2D and 3D mode. (I haven't used Eureka before.)

A couple nitpicks, but which are presumably unrelated to the move to OpenGL:

- the side panel is non-functional in 3D mode. Instead there's a top bar that appears to tell you about whatever is currently highlighted. Perhaps that side panel could be hidden while in 3D mode?

- the drop-down selection box for changing between editing modes will go out of the window when open, which is troublesome with a maximized window. Though it jumps up after mousing over the tiny sliver that's accessible between the current selection and the desk bar, so it's still usable, it's just a bit odd.

tMQOWX4.png

18 hours ago, andrewj said:

Here is a version of Eureka DOOM Editor which has been updated to use OpenGL for rendering the map views (both 2D and 3D).

I'm glad to see you're doing something with Eureka. Does this mean that you've regained your interest and will keep updating Eureka? Hopefully so, because I enjoy using it, and I think others do also. If not, I reiterate my thanks for making the editor that we have; I think it is a rather good one.

Is there a particular advantage to using OpenGL that prompted you to update v. 1.24 to utilize OpenGL for rendering the map views?

I drew these linedefs in a clockwise direction, with the pointer pointing into the drawn sector. Yet, on closing the sector, all linedefs switched to pointing outward.

4sUQj8d.png

Is that supposed to be the default?

Edited by Kappes Buur

On 10/8/2019 at 11:31 PM, Gez said:

the side panel is non-functional in 3D mode

Thanks Gez for testing it.

I am thinking about the side panel, it basically only follows the 2D view, so you can select things in 2D, switch to 3D and change textures or heights (etc) and the 3D view will show the changes.  But selecting things in 3D mode does not really "select" them for the side panel.  So I plan to improve that soon.

the drop-down selection box for changing between editing modes will go out of the window when open

This is some strange behavior of the FLTK toolkit that I don't know how to fix or workaround.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, Pegleg said:

Is there a particular advantage to using OpenGL that prompted you to update

It is much much faster at drawing the 2D and 3D views.

22 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

I drew these linedefs in a clockwise direction, with the pointer pointing into the drawn sector. Yet, on closing the sector, all linedefs switched to pointing outward.

The logic is that one-sided lines without a front side are invalid, so instead of making invalid lines Eureka flips the lines.  If you build a sector inside another sector, they will stay facing outward.

However I guess you expected the drawn lines to stay facing the way you drew them, which is reasonable, so I probably should make that the default and possibly have an option for the other thing.

10 hours ago, andrewj said:

It is much much faster at drawing the 2D and 3D views.

Indeed it is! It was effectively impossible to edit big maps with sector rendering enabled, but now it's smooth.

the drop-down selection box for changing between editing modes will go out of the window when open, which is troublesome with a maximized window

I did find a workaround for this issue, so thanks again.

Here is a another windows package for testing.  Still very "alpha" and not well tested, though I appreciate any bug reports.

Two main features in this package, one is a new "Ratio lock" feature which can force new lines to have a particular width:height ratio -- and it applies when dragging a vertex too.  The second feature is an expanded 3D mode which highlights stuff in the panel, shows the current selection, lets you move things, insert new things, and drag floors and ceilings of sectors up/down.

The ratio lock has some default key bindings: unshifted 'U' key will unlock it (turn it off), and the combinations ";0", ";1" to ";8" (semicolon followed by a digit) will enable a particular ratio.

eureka-125p05.zip

Edited by andrewj : fixed a bug with dragging single vertices

A minor issue I've noticed:

When you open from the same IWAD another map (File/Open Map), the caption on main window displays the previous map.

Image3.png.25ecab85f0ae33d5117f97965b5e8a39.png

I guess that's the ratio on the x and y axes. A perfectly diagonal line would then have a 1:1 ratio.

19 hours ago, jval said:

When you open from the same IWAD another map (File/Open Map), the caption on main window displays the previous map.

Bug noted.

17 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

What do these numbers represent?

Yeah it is the width/height ratio.  Later I plan to have a preference setting on what to show: length, angle or ratio.

I just tried this out and it appears that the sky hack isn't working. Is this a limitation of the renderer or can it be fixed?

Also noticed is the issue with map names in the title bar, as earlier mentioned by @jval

Software mode-

Spoiler

dc7sbnr.png

OpenGL mode-

Spoiler

DOVt5nA.png

48 minutes ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

I just tried this out and it appears that the sky hack isn't working. Is this a limitation of the renderer or can it be fixed?

Yes the sky hack is currently not handled in the OpenGL renderer, I plan to fix it sooner or later.

Another difference with the OpenGL renderer is that non-power-of-two textures, like the small doors which are 72 pixels high, won't tile vertically.  The S/W renderer implements the BOOM semantics of using a modulo (%) operation, even in vanilla where such textures would actually produce tutti frutti.  I plan to fix it too (it's one of those things where the remaining 20% of features takes 80% of the work...)

Here is another test version.  This one implements key combo menus for certain things, e.g. in 3D mode you can use the "e s" key pair to change edit mode to sectors, and "e w" to change edit mode to linedefs (w for "walls").  The ratio lock also uses key combo menus, e.g. "u 1" for 1:1 ratio, "u s" for user-defined ratio, and "u n" for unlock (none).

I'm hoping this version fixes the crashes that some people are getting.  Other changes include: the ratio lock is more strict, ratio of current draw line is shown, make void islands by drawing lines anti-clockwise, rendering of floors in 2D view will apply lighting too, ESC key can cancel a current action, fixed window title not showing the correct map name.

eureka-125p08.zip

Edited by andrewj : fixed bug with recent files list