Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m8f

⬆️ Doomworld Community Top WADs of All Time (resurrected)

3 minutes ago, m8f said:

Also, not much users update their votes.

Yeah, this is a big reason why older wads still sit at the top. The wads that were released after mid-2017 (savagegrant first made the original thread) are at a disadvantage. And the newer the wad is, the less votes it would likely get.

A possible solution would be to "reset and restart" the voting and make a new thread after every few years (something like a 5-year gap).

How about a weighted calculation based on how old a WAD is? Simplest way (though not strictly mathematically correct) is to calculate votes per unit time (suggest a year) - total votes for a 10 yo WAD are divided by 10 and votes for a 3 yo WAD are divided by 3...

This of course assumes a constant voting rate and does not take into consideration the increase in options to vote for (more WADs over time), but  it should raise the profile of newer WADs with proportionally more votes per unit time than an older one with many votes purely because it is old.

This does sound like a job for a statistician or an Excel ninja though...

[EDIT]

Thinking about it, if you know how many WADs in total in a given time period (year) there are, I think you can better correct based on the total number of choices available in that time period to vote for (the less choices there are, the less significant an individual vote is):

I think you could therefore also correct the average votes for that year by the total options available for that year.

I'm gonna have a play with this offline and come back with more detail...

Edited by smeghammer

Sunder - 10

Vanguard - 8

UAC Ultra - 5

Sigil - 5

If it's not too late to vote.

It isn't late, you're right on time!

But please, follow the rules: vote for 10 to 20 of your favorite WADs and you have up to 55 points to allocate any way you wish, with a maximum of 10 points for any particular release.

I can't be arsed to order this properly so I'll give everything a 5.

Lunatic - 5 

Deus Vult II - 5

Valiant - 5

Scythe 2 - 5

E1M4b - 5 

E1M8b - 5 

Adventures of Square - 5 

D2TWID - 5 

BTSX E1 - 5 

BTSX E2 - 5 

Demonfear - 5 

On the subject of newer vs older WADs, it might be worth having votes for each decade, i.e. 1993-1999; 2000-2009; 2010-2019?  Would give newer work a chance to shine in its own company.  Could still keep the "all time" one, too.

19 minutes ago, Capellan said:

On the subject of newer vs older WADs, it might be worth having votes for each decade, i.e. 1993-1999; 2000-2009; 2010-2019?  Would give newer work a chance to shine in its own company.  Could still keep the "all time" one, too.

Or build the decade list using data from the all time list

27 minutes ago, Marn said:

Or build the decade list using data from the all time list

That wouldn't address the issue of older WADs tending to be over-weighted, though.  Nostalgia plays a significant role in the choosing of favourites (and I say this as someone who would totally put MM2 on my own top ten "all time" list).

10 points = Eviternity (or however you spell it) - just so, so beautiful!

9 points = BTSX

8 points = Ancient Aliens 

7 points = Sigil (cos It was made by our lord and saviour, John Romero)

Can think of lots of other “good” WADs but those stand out from the pack of the ones that I have played :-D

My list:

1. Valiant - 6

2. Ancient Aliens - 5

3. Alien Vendetta - 4

4. Back to saturn x  - 5

5. Eviternity - 5

6. Scythe 2 - 6

7. Suspended in Dusk - 10

8. Lunatic - 8

9. Plutonia 2 - 2

10. Extermination Day - 4

Marn, Deflector, thank you for voting!

Deflector, I assigned Back To Saturn X points to Episode 1, if you meant Episode 2, I'll change it.

Reminder for @DooM Bear and @Fryuko, your votes aren't counted because you must vote for at least 10 WADs.

15 hours ago, m8f said:

Marn, Deflector, thank you for voting!

Deflector, I assigned Back To Saturn X points to Episode 1, if you meant Episode 2, I'll change it.

Reminder for @DooM Bear and @Fryuko, your votes aren't counted because you must vote for at least 10 WADs.

Well to me they both are kinda one succesion, x2 is great, but yeah let it be x1.

16 hours ago, m8f said:

Whoops! Sorry!

On 7/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, DooM Bear said:

10 points = Eviternity (or however you spell it) - just so, so beautiful!

9 points = BTSX

8 points = Ancient Aliens 

7 points = Sigil (cos It was made by our lord and saviour, John Romero)

Can think of lots of other “good” WADs but those stand out from the pack of the ones that I have played :-D

In that case, to the above I’ll add:

6 points = Valiant

5 points = Hell revealed 2

4 points = Hell revealed

3 points = Scythe

2 points = E1M4b

1 point = E1M8b

On 6/27/2020 at 9:41 PM, smeghammer said:

How about a weighted calculation based on how old a WAD is? Simplest way (though not strictly mathematically correct) is to calculate votes per unit time (suggest a year) - total votes for a 10 yo WAD are divided by 10 and votes for a 3 yo WAD are divided by 3...

This of course assumes a constant voting rate and does not take into consideration the increase in options to vote for (more WADs over time), but  it should raise the profile of newer WADs with proportionally more votes per unit time than an older one with many votes purely because it is old.

This does sound like a job for a statistician or an Excel ninja though...

[EDIT]

Thinking about it, if you know how many WADs in total in a given time period (year) there are, I think you can better correct based on the total number of choices available in that time period to vote for (the less choices there are, the less significant an individual vote is):

I think you could therefore also correct the average votes for that year by the total options available for that year.

I'm gonna have a play with this offline and come back with more detail...

You make some really good points and agree you would probably need some fairly well honed statistical skills to get the historical wad to modern wad vote ratio right!

Although, just to play devils advocate, an old wad that gets votes may actually be better than a new wad :-P

I say that cos a new wad might get heaps of votes, not necessarily because it’s a great wad but because it is new. Once it stops being new you might find that it gets significantly less praise over time.

A good example of this is awards for movies and games :-P You will often find that things that come out in Q4 get the awards even though something better came out earlier simply because they are fresh in people’s minds :-P

All that said, I don’t think it matters too much for this purpose and am just a bit of a fellow stats nerd :-P

4 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

I say that cos a new wad might get heaps of votes, not necessarily because it’s a great wad but because it is new. Once it stops being new you might find that it gets significantly less praise over time.

Absolutely - my thoughts were making the assumption that the voting rate remained the same over the entire time DW and voting has been available - but that obviously will not be true as the numbers of DW members changes over time and the availability of mobile devices increased, computer ownership and all kinds of other variables - not least in recent months with the COVID crisis, as I am sure there are many more members since then.

good example of this is awards for movies and games :-P You will often find that things that come out in Q4 get the awards even though something better came out earlier simply because they are fresh in people’s minds

Of course - that is why a sample over longer is better - these kinds of fluctuations will be taken into account if a year is considered the unit and a large number of years are averaged. You could of course get REALLY complicated and assume a month is the smallest unit and do a monthly calculation with nice graphs and annual trends over time etc... But as I said, that is for an Excel ninja...

a bit of a fellow stats nerd

Hah! not so much a stats nerd (that's my wife...) but definitely a code/logic nerd :-)

DooM Bear, thank you for voting! Again, you haven't specified a BTSX episode, so I assigned the points to Episode 1. Let me know if you want to change it.

The tally in the OP has been updated.

10 points - Hell Revealed I

9 points - Winter's Fury

8 points - Scythe I

7 points - Requiem

6 points - Back to Saturn X EP1

5 points - Eviternity

4 points - Zone 300

3 points - Valiant

2 points - Jenesis

1 point - The Darkening I

ASaltShaker, thank you for voting!

I noticed a weird pattern: sometimes a vote appears right after I update the tally. It seems like people wait until I process the previous voter. If you want to vote, please vote right away, it's easier to process points in batch. And don't forget that you can always edit your points later, just post again here.

Been playing Doom since 1993 and now found the time register so I can vote! :) So much to choose from.

There are wads which might seem similar to my favorites and which I would recommend to just about anyone but which are just not my cup of tea for different reasons (BTSX, Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Winter's Fury). I also excluded commercially released content which I love (Plutonia, NRFTL).

Here we go:

10 points - Doom 64 for Doom 2

10 points - Doom Zero

7 points - Valiant

7 points - Doom 64: Retribution

5 points - Deathless

5 points - Doom the Way id Did

5 points - Sunlust

2 points - Doom 2 the Way id Did

2 points - Plutonia 2

2 points - Whispers of Satan

Yeet

10p - Congestion 1024

9p - Hell Revealed II

8P - Sythe (original)

7p - Hell Revealed

6p - Chillax

5p - Alien Vendetta

4p - deus vult

3p - Valiant

2p - No rest for living

1p - Sunlust

Warrex, waciej, thank you for voting!

Rince-wind, thank you for updating your votes!

10 points - Alien Vendetta

9 points - Eviternity

8 points - Scythe 2

7 points - Sunlust

6 points - scythe

5 points - Ancient Aliens

4 points - Valiant

3 points - Plutonia 2

2 points - Hell Revealed II

1 point - Paradise

I can't be bothered to order my list, so I'll just give each one a 5.

5 - Memento Mori

5 - Hell Revealed

5 - Alien Vendetta

5 - Scythe

5 - Scythe 2

5 - Doom II The Way Id Did

5 - Perdition's Gate

5 - Hellbound

5 - Back to Saturn X Episode 1

5 - Eviternity

10 - Ancient Aliens

10 - Eviternity

10 - Valiant

7 - Scythe II

5 - Scythe

5 - 1000 Lines Community Project 2

2 - Community Chest 4

2 - Hell Revealed

2 - Alien Vendetta

2 - Doom Zero

On 9/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, Ajora said:

The last thread should have gotten a sticky. Hopefully, this one will deservedly get stickied. 

Yea, this thread deserves to be pinned, it would be very useful for people new to classic doom who want to find good wads :)

JuanchoES, E.M., Horus, thank you for voting!

@E.M., note that you have 5 points left.

For this thread to be pinned, somebody has to ask moderators, and it would be weird if I do it myself.