Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m8f

⬆️ Doomworld Community Top WADs of All Time (resurrected)

Ryath, thank you for voting!

The tally in the OP has been updated.

I'd like to add Heartland to my list.

10: Eviternity

9: Faithless/ Faithless Trilogy

8: Heartland

7: TNT: Revilution

6: Alien Vendetta

5: Valiant

4: Ancient Aliens

3: Doom Zero

2: No Rest For The Living

1: Deathless

Older list

On 2/27/2021 at 11:55 AM, ReaperAA said:

Also with that being said, I will update my own list:

10: Eviternity

9: Faithless/ Faithless Trilogy

8: TNT: Revilution

7: Alien Vendetta

6: Valiant

5: Ancient Aliens

4: Doom Zero

3: No Rest For The Living

2: Deathless

1: Doom 2 The Way id Did (D2TWiD)

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

I'd like to add Heartland to my list.

6: Alien Vendetta

2: No Rest For The Living

7c6.jpg

Time for my first update, but certainly not my last.

9 points to Eviternity.

9 points to JPCP.

8 pts to Valiant.

7 points to Going Down.

6 points to Freedom: Phase 1. I revisited this, and it's better than I remember it being. Also finally managed to beat E4M8. Bumping it above Sigil.

5 points to Sigil.

4 points to The Plutonia Experiment.

3 points to Freedom Phase 2.

2 points to Water Spirit.

2 points to Ancient Aliens. It's my new favorite WAD. Everything is nearly perfect: great music, great visuals, great combat, and a great balance between letting each level stand out while maintaining consistency throughout the WAD. Nonetheless, I can't justify giving it ten points because it's already #1 and it has an unfair advantage. So here it is, with two points from me.

Old post:

Spoiler
On 2/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, northivanastan said:

I'm probably going to change this a lot, since I've finished barely enough WADs to be able to vote here. There are some WADs I've already started playing that I'm sure will belong on this list when I am done, but I want to finish them before making a judgement.

Nonetheless, here are my votes:

9 points to Eviternity. Amazing map design, amazing music, amazing visuals. If it's not my favorite it's certainly the most well-made megaWAD I have ever finished.

9 points to JPCP. Might be my favorite WAD. Full of levels that are uniquely artistic, with some of the most charming graphics I have seen in a Doom WAD.

8 pts to Valiant. Best combat I have ever seen, and great music. It's just pure fun to play. I think I'd love the visuals too, had I not been spoiled by Eviternity and JPCP.

7 points to Going Down. It's more notable for how well the levels fit together into a whole than for any individual level, but some of the levels (20, 26) are also masterpieces of Doom horror.

6 points to Sigil. Platforming is hard, but I still enjoy Sigil and consider it a worthy E5. It can equally be read as a celebration of classic Doom, or as John Romero's take on Sandy Petersen's hell maps.

5 points to Freedom: Phase 1. Everyone seems to like Phase 2, but I found Phase 1 to be more fun for some reason. I think it might have something to do with how easy Doom 1's enemies are to mow down. That said, I never beat E4M8 without cheating. Too many Assault Tripods (Cyberdemons) and not enough cover.

4 points to The Plutonia Experiment. Just an all-around good set of maps, with some of the most well thought out combat setpieces in commercial Doom. I can easily see why so many mappers took inspiration from it.

3 points to Freedom Phase 2. Though not as fun for me as Phase 1, its maps are quite high in quality.

2 points to Water Spirit. I played this 3-level PWAD because I liked burabojunior's JPCP maps. I debated including this one, and I'm likely to remove it later, but its three maps are some of the prettiest I have ever seen in the Doom engine, so that has to count for something.

2 points to Plutonia MIDI Pack. I originally had TNT Evilution here, but then I remembered I could include the Plutonia MIDI Pack. These compositions massively elevate the levels they were written for and certainly contributed to my enjoyment of Plutonia.

ReaperAA, northivanastan, thank you for updating your votes!

I still have a ton of wads to play, a lot of them currently on the top of the list.

Anyway, my votes at the moment could go like this:

Going Down - 8 // Funny, fun, insane, intense, varied maps, amazing music, and it actually tells a story in Doom format.
Eviternity - 7 // An incredibly amazing, beautiful and balanced wad (except for the boss battle, I guess).
JPCP - 6 // My favourite part is that it doesn't care about your usual conventions and rules in gameplay and mapmaking, just have fun!

Alien Vendetta - 6 // Well, it's not like I'm not going to include this one, right?
The Plutonia Experiment - 5 // I'm going to tell you a story about how I started to hate (love?) chaingunners, revenant and archviles.
No Rest for the Living - 4 // I only put this one behind of Plutonia because it's way shorter!

Eternal Doom IV - 4 // Getting lost for hours in giant worlds was actually an adventure.

Suspended in Dusk - 3 // The only reason I give just 3 points to this masterpiece is because it's just three maps.

Scythe - 3 // Cool intense maps. I can't beat "Run From It", however, as much as I strafe run. :P

THT: Threnody - 2 // All the maps are cool, but MAP08 in particular reconfigured my brain.

Doom II: Hell on Earth - 2 // If voting for Plutonia is allowed, I guess this is allowed too!

Pirate Doom - 2 // The funniest thing I've seen in Doom.

SIGIL - 2 // The shortest megawad ever made.

Kusok (Kurashiki's Kuso Map) - 1 // The title is a lie, this pair of maps are not "kuso" at all! (And I wanted to add a very unknown wad xP).

Edited by Fadri

Fadri, Dimon12321, thank you for voting!

The list now contains more than four hundred WADs from 150 voters! Good job, people, keep it up!

On 6/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, <<Rewind said:

Fixed. Now adheres to wad count requirement.

Ancient Aliens

Rewind: 10

Eviternity

Rewind: 6

Paradise

Dark Universe

Sunlust

Sunder

Deus Vult II

Rewind: 5

Back To Saturn X Episode 1

Rewind: 4

Back To Saturn X Episode 2

Rewind: 4

Sigil

Rewind: 2

For the next update, I'd like to kindly request a vote update.

I wish not to reward gzdoom-compatible wads:

Paradise -6

Dark Universe -6

Eviternity +2 (6 ➡ 8)

Abandon +10

@<<Rewind You can only allocate 55 points. So in order to add Abandon and increase Eviternity's points, you would have to decrease/adjust the points of the other wads you rated.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

@<<Rewind You can only allocate 55 points. So in order to add Abandon and increase Eviternity's points, you would have to decrease/adjust the points of the other wads you rated.

they did

2 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

Paradise -6

Dark Universe -6 

1 hour ago, northivanastan said:

they did

face palm at my own dumbness.

<<Rewind, thanks for updating your votes!

I don’t recall answering this, so here we go; I apologise that I have kept the lost solely to full megawads

and as such some shorter wads might have easily have made the list.

10 points - Valiant - probably my favourite doom experience where the tweaks add value to the gameplay as well as exhibiting excellent level design.

9 points - Going down - Probably one of the most fun experiences I have ever had. It has a very unique personality, just for reference the music makes this wad as it is a audio representation of the game.

8 points - Sunlust - Too hard for me, but I truly marvel the craftsmanship of this wad. It remains the pinnacle of the top end of difficulty this game has to offer.

7 points - Ancient Aliens - Another skillsaw classic, love the thematically but didn’t wow me as much as Valiant.

5 points - Scythe 2 - This really married the good elements of 00s mapping and inevitably spawned the classics of the following decade.

5 points - Speed of Doom - Darkwave’s maps in particular still look and play great even today. Those cavernous levels in particular deserve the love.

5 points - Kama Sutra - This is in my view the sequel to hell revealed (Oddly SOD would essentially be HR3 to me in spirit). It is flawed but has some wonderful moment (Most from Gusta).

3 points - No End in Sight - A fantastic full UDoom wad that marries both true classic styling and modern ways of thinking (E4 in particular for the latter).

2 points - Eviternity - Honestly this is only this low because I simply haven’t played this enough to really immerse myself like the ones above.

1 point - 2002 A Doom Odyssey - Nostalgia coming into this, it was the wad I spent a lot of time with when cannonball was a speedrunner (Not a very good one), so it deserves a point.

3 hours ago, MtPain27 said:

Struggle: Antaresian Legacy (antares031)

You haven't made a video on this. The next episode of DoD?

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

You haven't made a video on this. The next episode of DoD?

Coming this season

9 Back to Saturn X - Episode 1

9 Back to Saturn X - Episode 2

9 Back to Saturn X - Episode 3

7 Miasma

5 Doom the Way Id Did

5 Doom 2 the Way Id Did

3 Vela Pax

3 Freedoom Phase 1

3 Freedoom Phase 2

1 Wow.wad

7 hours ago, MtPain27 said:

Coming this season

Hell yeah! I was considering asking that question myself. Sad as it may sound, I've been hoping for a Struggle vid since I first found your channel. Looking forward to it!

On 3/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, dei_eldren said:

Si6il - 8

Moonblood - 7

Hellish Rogues - 7

Serenity - 7 (i'll only include that from the trilogy...)

Scythe - 6

Alien Vendetta - 5

Kama Sutra - 5

Eternal Doom - 4

Doom the Way ID Did - 4

Hell Revealed - 2

i realize this is a bit soon after my first vote, but i feel that i must update...i promise i try not to update this so soon again.  Interesting to me that as much as i still enjoy the classic 1990s and early 2000s stuff, they are getting eclipsed by modern sets (Kama Sutra will never fall from the list, though, because it's special to me).

SiGil - 8

Moonblood - 7

Doom Zero - 7

TNT Goes Boom! Episode 1 - 7

Endless Torture - 7

Hellish Rogues - 6

Lunar Outpost 359 - 5

180 Minutes Pour Vivre - 3

Eviternity - 3

Kama Sutra - 2

And thanks to m8f for maintaining this interesting list that i so often browse!

Edited by dei_eldren

MtPain27, cannonball, jerk-o, thank you for voting!

dei_eldren, thank you for updating your votes!

@jerk-o, you still have 1 point left.

3 hours ago, m8f said:

@jerk-o, you still have 1 point left.

He also made a 9 point vote for a WAD no one has played yet, lol.  Does that count?

I guess I will finally cast my votes on this since I have been following the thread for quite some time now:

10 - Ancient Aliens

9 - Eviternity

8 - Sunlust

7 - The Plutonia Experiment

6 - Vanguard

5 - Crumpets

4 - Counterattack

3 - Brigandine

2 - Valhalla

2 - Demonastery

Edited by VanaheimRanger

13 minutes ago, VanaheimRanger said:

He also made a 9 point vote for a WAD no one has played yet, lol.  Does that count?

Are we sure about that? Maybe it's not the one you're thinking of, but BTSX E3 was released four years ago!!

7 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

Those who have will been seen Instructions to the Rusty Time Machine can share their opinion on it at any point of time they desire. Please don't post reviews yet to avoid time paradoxes, but voting is OK, I guess.

VanaheimRanger, thanks for voting! You have assigned 56 points, so I subtracted 1 point from Demonastery as it is the last in the list. Please let me know if you want to assign your points differently.