Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Blizzard issue severe penalties for Hearthstone player supporting Hong Kong protests

4 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

The thing you quoted, NIH talked about generally, not the subset of games you're talking about. Yeah, playing the game listed here doesn't affect,

I don't think you understanding what I'm getting at.

Saying you won't play their games is not the same as not buying their products.

If you don't own a game, buying them would give them money, ie, supporting Blizzard.

If you own a game, not playing a game that you already own changes nothing.

but you have to see things as a whole, not just by yourself. 

Which has nothing at all to do with what I was saying.

I think we're in agreement in the sentiment here, but you're missing the distinction I'm trying to make.

1 hour ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

I can only presume you mean "buying" instead of "playing"--as not playing games one already owns won't change anything.

Let's remind ourselves real quick that stuff like WoW and Hearthtone exists, both of which milking their playerbase for cash on a regular basis. Then there are also MTXs in for example overwatch... And besides that, yes I am fairly certain that the majority of folks will buy blizzard games in the future regardless...

2 hours ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

I don't think you understanding what I'm getting at.

I'm really confusing now, but well, my English sucks, so probably that's why I don't understand.

2 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I'm really confusing now, but well, my English sucks, so probably that's why I don't understand.

What they were getting at is plain nitpicking over semantics.

9 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

What they were getting at is plain nitpicking over semantics.

Sorry for the additional bother, but I think you're a good person to ask since I feel that you know me quite a bit, and are willing to explain. First, I have to say, each time I'm reading these types of discussion in English gives me a headache because I'm personally feeling that I'm lacking some basics of English (yeah, no joke). That makes me in some of the situations that I understand every single word in a sentence, but I have no idea what the sentence is talking about.

What I read from your original post is that those people will continue to play Blizzard's games anyway. I mean by play, includes both buying stuff in game, and buying new games because they don't have a fundamentally difference anyway because this supports Blizzard, just in different ways. Am I reading this correctly?

I'd boycott them but TBH the only Blizzard game I ever bought was Warcraft II back in the days.

4 hours ago, reflex17 said:

...they have been more out-of-step with what fans want for the past few decades....

Not really. They've just cultivated a new fanbase that is less hardcore/cares less about good storytelling.

WoW taught Blizzard all about what most people want. People want to play a simple game that appears hardcore.

19 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Yes

Thanks for the detailed confirmation, eh, I mean one word ;P  (JK)

I should've put this in the last post, but I was busy doing some stuff and I forgot... 

Spoiler

The sentence "What they were getting at is plain nitpicking over semantics." means the person who quoted you is nitpicking the "playing" and "buying" thing instead of raising proper examples for further meaningful discussion? BTW, I need to look up what "semantics" mean so that increases my confusion in this, but I learned a new word at least.

9 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Not really. They've just cultivated a new fanbase that is less hardcore/cares less about good storytelling.

WoW taught Blizzard all about what most people want. People want to play a simple game that appears hardcore.

I suppose I meant fans as different from more casual players. The market has changed yeah and you can't blame them for trying to adapt. Mobile markets may be 50% of the current gaming market but Blizzard have also, in recent years until now, completely destroyed more than one of my favorite game series. And yes I understand it is their product and they can change it however they want.

Retail wow is a whole other kettle of fish, analytics are not the same as player opinion, and every dev video I've seen from the last expansion is them constantly backtracking and apologizing for bad systems and class design. If people want their MMO to be full of farmville minigames and all that, then so be it. Things change over time, the true reflection could be found in the player numbers which they don't release anymore as far as I'm aware.

This is like a textbook case study in how to create a PR disaster of gargantuan proportions.

Looks like a few Blizzard workers did a walk out yesterday which was great, because it's not Friday and there's no 3 day weekend incentive to walk out.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/blizzard-employees-staged-a-walkout-to-protest-banned-pro-hong-kong-gamer

While I'm trying to remain oblivious to whatever plight China and Hong Kong are going through, I thought this would add more discussion.

54 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

get.png

"Chinese players paid by the chinese government and bots employed by the chinese government support Blizzard's course of action."

I'm very sorry for this guy. Because I hate the government of China.

Oh, if you only knew, what happens in this country. Some national minorities (especially, turkic people like uighurs, kazakhs, kyrgyz people and tatars) are opressed in this country. I, as a panturkist and the enemy of totalitarian and autoritarian countries, can't be indifferent to this.

Good old Global Times reports. BTW, probably no one likes the government of China, but oh well.

Edited by GarrettChan

Spoiler

6dl7pf67cpr31.jpg

Nice dictatorship you got there blizzard. (Might just be a bug, but that's a lot of bullshit and they probably reverted it after it got backlash)

Edited by Pegg

This is now beyond pathetic.

So they're going through with this BS to the very end. Nice digging of your own grave you got there Blizz, you've just succumbed to an all-time low.

What I'm getting at this is that:

If you want to destroy a company:

1. Play their games;

2. Get decent at their games;

3. Use one of their outlets to get involved in politics;

4. Profit!?

The worst part could be 2. You need to get good at the games provided by a company you hate this much to have such a big plan.

What I'm getting at this is that:

If you want to destroy a company:

1. Play their games;

2. Get decent at their games;

3. Use one of their outlets to get involved in politics;

4. Profit!?

The worst part could be 2. You need to get good at the games provided by a company you hate this much to have such a big plan.

I don't think he hated Blizzard up until this point, but he definitely hates it now, and for good reason.

7 minutes ago, seed said:

I don't think he hated Blizzard up until this point, but he definitely hates it now, and for good reason.

I'm obviously joking about this bro. Right now definitely whatever Blizzard does won't end up in good situation. There's no good way to deal with this situation. Of course, using somebody else's thing to express your politic opinion definitely will have some consequences from that "somebody" no matter how bad that "somebody" is getting into. To me, I don't really know whether this player is a savior or not.

Spoiler

BTW, on my book, liberate HK doesn't mean supporting HK protesters.

8 hours ago, GarrettChan said:
Spoiler

BTW, on my book, liberate HK doesn't mean supporting HK protesters.

Spoiler

Do you mean "detach Hong Kong from China completely" by any chance?

I am living in China. The Chinese people, especially young people, are extremely patriotic. So, all this talk about "Chinese players funded by the Government" and "Chinese Bots controlled by the Government" seems a little bit ridiculous to me. They are just that patriotic and nationalistic.

Also, the Hong Kong people never ever said something about "liberating" Hong Kong from Mainland China. If that would have been one of their demands, the protests would have stopped very quickly a long time ago. They know they can't really demand it (many probably want, many don't) and their focus was imho about keeping their freedoms promised by the government in 1997 at the handover. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by elend