Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechaghostman2

Doom Annihilation was lame. What a disappointing movie. :/

Doom Annihilation, what a disappointment of a movie. This is the second time they've tried and failed at making a movie based on Doom. How hard is it to combine Aliens with Event Horizon? Just take the xenomorphs out and replace them with demons, and tweak a few other things too. But no, they had to make another zombie movie. I mean they're getting closer, at least this time the source of the zombies may or may not be from Hell, but it's still mostly just a zombie movie. I mean like, c'mon man. Just make an over the top action film with pentagrams and demons. I'm sure there's been some fan films that have done this better, and I'mma search for them now.

Silent Hill almost came close, but it still wasn't perfect, and it needlessly complicated things in the original story for the adaptation, and the sequel followup pretty much reconfirmed my pessimism that nothing good can come from video game movies in the long run, even if you get sort of lucky once in a while.

31 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

How to live a happy life

Step 1: never expect a video game movie to be anything but dog shit

seriously, even in really open-ended games with very few restrictions, lots of interesting and iconic visuals to work with and a million and one potentially interesting storylines that can be told, the video game film will still be frothy diarrhoea. It’s a curse. You could have a game where when you boot it up, it is literally just the script to an amazing film lying on the ground sorrounded by amazing sets, props and actors and they would still turn it into garbage, usually by ignoring it all.

God himself can’t make a good video game movie. I think someone signed some deal with Satan or something during the production of the Mario movie and now it is physically impossible to create a good video game movie. Sure you can imagine a good video game film, and theoretically it’s really not that hard to get right. Obviously, somebody would have gotten it right by now, were it possible...

But it’s not. It’s a curse from Satan. Case closed.

Video game movies aren't always bad. I liked a few of the Resident Evil movies. Pokemon Detective Pikachu was alright. The Tomb Raider movies were ok too. Not great, but ok.

Plus, anime adaptations of video games are usually good.

I just wish a bunch of these old Hollywood writers would take the games a bit more seriously when writing scripts based off them. Video games make more money than movies do now. I don't understand why Hollywood doesn't take them seriously.

48 minutes ago, Mechaghostman2 said:

Plus, anime adaptations of video games are usually good.

This is a great point that I totally ignored. Not just Anime as a genre, but the entire medium of animation gets far too little attention when it comes to video game adaptations. They're not high art, but it's pretty damn common: Mario cartoons were better than the Mario film, Street Fighter cartoons were better than the Street Fighter film, etc. Animation is just perfect for assets that were already animations in the first place. Even the most visually advanced video games have more in common with a cartoon than reality on just a purely visual level. There's a lot of untapped potential in the realm of animated films based on games!

It's a low-budget film, which is why half the action is against zombies (cheap dudes in makeup) and the other half against Imps (cheap rubber costumes). Going in knowing that makes it harder to be disappointed (unless you pre-ordered the BD or something).

"Got dang millennials and their got dang music, and vidya games, and Duber, av-o-cado toast. I know exactly how to make that vidya game story interesting, not that two dimensional filth. When they see my genius on screen, they'll tell me I produced the first good vidya game movie, I tell you whut."

- Every Director/Producer for Video Game Movies 

The list of "good" video game movies is highly subjective.

The list of video game movies I enjoyed is much easier to quantify (and definitely longer :) )

Making a good movie is hard when you:

a) Have no budget

b) Are facing unmeetable expectations

Gman's review time stamped below summed it up imo. The fact that they stood to gain nothing from making it but still did it anyway speaks to their perseverance. 

Edited by Super Mighty G

i decided bad doom movies are a good thing. what if the movie was awesome? pretty soon youd have doom games with voice acting and movie character buddies. fuuuuuk that shit. 

3 minutes ago, rampancy said:

pretty soon youd have doom games with voice acting

The Icon of Sin would like a word with you.

the icon of sin is dead. i killed it for speaking.

youre right there is dialogue esp in the latest one. i actually really enjoyed the audio logs in doom3, thought they were well done. i just wouldnt want the game to inspire a movie that made so much money that some higher ups decided that the next game had to be designed around the movie. video game movies are rarely good, but neither are games based on movies. 

Edited by rampancy

Much of the critique of the movie was buried long ago under the alt-right crying over the female lead, they had determined the movie to be garbage on day one for that alone because "not muh angry masculine Doomslayer". It's the same crap that makes us unable to offer legit critique of anything anymore and is obnoxious when 95% of videos about this, or anything, are clearly promoting an ideology instead of being on topic and objective. Likewise, flip the viewpoints and you have much of the defense from the opposite side of the agenda.

That seems like something not worth mentioning(and I have before on the subject of modern Doom and this film), except a majority of the videos I have seen in my recommendations feed on Youtube about this film have been from alt-right channels crying about its existence. It also shoves plenty of their "Doom Eternal is (ourgame)" vids onto me. I don't know why. I think it's because YT sees I watched some Doom gameplay vids and their algorithm promotes channels with larger subscriber counts, but I don't sub to alt-right channels, I don't watch them, and I flag them as "not interested". That doesn't stop YT from begging me to watch the angry rants of some political channel. I am sorely tempted to log out and not use an account any further. It gives me the impression that there's too much modern right-leaning stuff going on with the game franchise now for me to want to touch and I've begun to dislike Doom 4 & Eternal for that. I'll stick with the original games.

They tried. They wanted to focus on OG Doom as canon instead of Bethesdoom but opted to put the camera on an unrelated marine squad instead of the main hero, aiming for a "prequel" I suppose. The Imp looks off by choice, their claim it's "totally the original imp" is clearly wrong. But at least it has Hell, unlike how the execs canned that in 2005(even if they're the bad guys, showing hell whatsoever is apparently going to promote it or something- we got those complaints in 1993 from evangelicals too). But visually, this isn't Doom, it's a generic script that has a few minor ties- and I know going by OG Doom there isn't much to work with for world-building but come on. This is the same industry that botched Max Payne, which needed no alterations, and was more-or-less ready to film. Even the novels messed it up because of some evangelical nonsense preventing actual Hell from being used, they had to be aliens, and from somewhere in the second book onward they became a total mess that ignored the games. Be thankful we never got that movie based on Acclaim's Shadow Man, the script treatment was 100% unrelated to the game.

But politics have to ruin everything now, and if you critique anything like this, you're labeled a nazi because the actual nazi voices are so loud they drown out the real voices. You like it even slightly, or don't hate it 100%, you're a man-hating paid shill or something. There is really no point in getting involved or expressing an opinion if you are not pushing one of the extremist viewpoints anymore because you'll get lumped in with one or the other. I regard the movie is bad but I don't care that it exists. It doesn't ruin my life that it exists. Eventually I'll become so apathetic to the constant extreme left vs right arguing that goes on daily that if they announce a meteor is headed our way, I won't care.

"Making a good movie is hard when you:

a) Have no budget

b) Are facing unmeetable expectations"

A lot of small productions have shown this to not be the case. It's usually the executives and marketing who ruin things. Execs who pay money buy don't know the property get their ideas shoved in, marketers want X, and any idea of doing it right gets thrown out the window. Case in point, Hellboy- a movie where the execs tried to ruin it with their dumbass ideas, got told "no" by del Toro, and they punished him by cutting the budget, erasing the advertising budget and guaranteeing it would bomb because he didn't play ball. This is also why Paramount is now suing Star Trek fan films- they're better than what gets spewed out officially. Budget is also less of a concern when good CGI can be done on home PCs now.

Edited by diosoth

28 minutes ago, diosoth said:

But politics have to ruin everything now, and if you critique anything like this, you're labeled a nazi because the actual nazi voices are so loud they drown out the real voices. You like it even slightly, or don't hate it 100%, you're a man-hating paid shill or something. There is really no point in getting involved or expressing an opinion if you are not pushing one of the extremist viewpoints anymore because you'll get lumped in with one or the other.

I'd take a step back from whatever internet drama centre you frequent if political shitflinging is ruining your entertainment. I'm sure there are places where you can discuss and critique films without idiots pushing some agenda.

the prince of persia sands of time movie is lovely and sexy

even if its not great literature or whatever

frankly I've seen Aliens four or five times and I can't imagine needing another space marines vs monsters movie in my life >:) I will never watch this

It was lame? What a surprise :O
Guys if you really wanna watch a good video game movie just watch stuff that inspired the game in the first place or movies that were inspired by the game. For example Jacob's ladder is the best Silent Hill movie :D

9 hours ago, diosoth said:

But politics have to ruin everything now, and if you critique anything like this, you're labeled a nazi because the actual nazi voices are so loud they drown out the real voices. You like it even slightly, or don't hate it 100%, you're a man-hating paid shill or something. There is really no point in getting involved or expressing an opinion if you are not pushing one of the extremist viewpoints anymore because you'll get lumped in with one or the other. I regard the movie is bad but I don't care that it exists. It doesn't ruin my life that it exists. Eventually I'll become so apathetic to the constant extreme left vs right arguing that goes on daily that if they announce a meteor is headed our way, I won't care.

And where exactly are you even finding such arguments and agendas? I'm yet to see anything even remotely similar to what you're describing here.

Perhaps you just need to stop frequenting those places and find others where you can have a proper discussion.

1 hour ago, seed said:

And where exactly are you even finding such arguments and agendas? I'm yet to see anything even remotely similar to what you're describing here.

Perhaps you just need to stop frequenting those places and find others where you can have a proper discussion.

I don't see it here in DoomWorld, but it is out there.

People are becoming more polarized, online and IRL, spreading it to every aspect of life.

I have my own thoughts about cause and cures but needless to say, I'm glad to see the movie's getting some appreciation just for the fact that they sincerely tried.

Doom3 was the best game to date to make a movie off of, but I think a movie based on the events leading UP to Doom2016 could work just as well, perhaps better, ending with the immortal Doom Slayer starting his rampage.

2 hours ago, seed said:

It's mostly in places like YouTube now. I've seen comments complaining that they're "feminizing Doom" which is not a vibe I got from the film at all. Being an edgy right-wing bigot is really popular on YouTube right now. 

Doom Annihilation is alright. I expected a total cringefest but ended up liking it.

It felt a lot closer to the source material than the pathetic 2005 movie.

Having a Doomgirl as the hero didn't bother me, because it's done right.

19 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

The only decent video game movies are the first Mortal Kombat, the first Tomb Raider, and Dead Or Alive

I'd go with Mortal Kombat, first Silent Hill movie, first RE movie and i guess the first Tomb Raider movie.

For anime i always enjoyed the Street Fighter movies.

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

WHEN WILL THEY MAKE A HALF-LIFE MOVIE?????!?!?!!?

Oh yea that is still planned (same for the Portal movie).

But until then, enjoy your time with fan films such as Beyond Black Mesa, Escape from City 17, and The Freeman Chronicles :p.

I saw it today and actually liked it. Not easy to make a low-budget movie. I think it was as good as it could have been in that budget. Props and sets reminded me of Stargate SG-1. And it was kinda like the events before Knee-Deep in the Dead mixed with Doom3, with vibes from Aliens and Event Horizon.

Not bad, everything considered!

On mercredi 9 octobre 2019 at 5:13 AM, Mechaghostman2 said:

Pokemon Detective Pikachu was alright.

But it's not a video game movie; it's just a movie set in a setting from a video game. Alright so let me channel the spirit of Internet fanboy rage:

Detective Pikachu sucks because it really takes a huge dump on the game, god for a start the stupid and pointless "detective pikachu" talks, what a fucking travesty this is, everyone knows pokemons can only say the syllable of their name, and there's not a single pokemon capture or trainer fight and they don't collect all the gym badges how dare they call it a pokemon movie they can't respect the entire point of the series it's obvious it's a lame cash grabs done by talentless hacks with not one ounce of respect for the franchise oh man I'm really angry and I hope all the people who "worked" on this piece of shit die in a car wreck

Ewww, enough of that.

Doom Annihilation is lambasted because it's a movie about space marines fighting against demons, but it's not a 3-hour section of 🤘𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔇𝔬𝔬𝔪 𝔖𝔩𝔞𝔶𝔢𝔯🤘 slaughtering hapless demons in first-person perspective while spouting memes from the Doom comic, which is the only thing that The Internet would have accepted as a good Doom movie.