Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Game Obsessions You Don't Understand

As the title says, what video game or games have you seen people obsess over, but you just don't get what the big deal is all about?

For me it was Undertale.  

For me it's all online videogames, because... I am 100 % single player gamer and I understand the online games like LOL, WOW, Fortnight and these games could be fun, however it seems the most people play ONLY these games.

It's like you meet someone new and he's like "I am a gamer!" and you "oh orly? Me too! What games do you play?! I like Doom and Hexen a and you know, these old games, but recently I liked Amid Evil and new Doom from 2016 and so on... You?"

"You know... Dota, CS:GO, World of Tanks..."

Ok, whatever man :D

All competitive MP games, and Pokemon as a whole.

For the latter, I never understood the appeal as Pokemon never managed to capture me (be it games, cartoons, whatever), and the first... maybe seemed interesting like almost 10yrs ago, but now they're a cancer in the industry. They're also so full of MTX and toxic people I have no idea how others can stand playing them, they're one of the main reasons why I lost my interest in MP as a whole.

The game that I failed to comprehend the fandom for was Five Nights At Freddy's. The sheer amount of Youtube coverage that game series received as it became popular was infuriating - all the channels I enjoyed around the time suddenly moved their interests to that game series because it was easy views.

1 hour ago, seed said:

All competitive MP games, and Pokemon as a whole.

Speaking of Pokemon, I never understood what the big deal was with Pokemon Go, and I still don't. The idea of actually going to places (I.E Getting off your seat and walking there) never appealed to me. Nowadays I don't play a lot of mobile games, as my taste has changed and I prefer to buy games whole.

1 hour ago, Doominator2 said:

Any MOBA, Probably one of the most boring genres out there.

^This. And there is also the fact that I hate DotA for causing the death of classic RTS games.

Minecraft, not the game itself but the vast majority of You Tube channels dedicated to let's plays of this game. Minecraft is a pretty boring game to watch a let's play of, even with mods, it doesn't help that those let's players tend to be annoying and overreact. 

Pretty much all the current popular ones, Minecraft, Fortnite, PUBG (is that one still popular? I know it was months ago), Pokemon GO. Well I guess anything that's generally MMO.

Also a select few mobile games like Candy Crush which are basically reskins of classic online games.

25 minutes ago, Fraggle Rock said:

Speaking of Pokemon, I never understood what the big deal was with Pokemon Go, and I still don't. The idea of actually going to places (I.E Getting off your seat and walking there) never appealed to me. Nowadays I don't play a lot of mobile games, as my taste has changed and I prefer to buy games whole.

The idea is actually great. I don't play Pokémon GO, but I play geocaching. You have to search for real physical cache containers and sign logbook inside.

It's fun, because it's like collecting packages in GTA, except in real life.

It shows you new places around your home you never seen before. It adventurous. You sometimes lost on a place you don't know, map looks very different from real and so on... But you're really happy when you actually managed to find the cache and/or way back home.

It motivates you to actually walk, which is something you can do while you playing videogames.

And you don't even need the app installed. You can just write down the coordinates and a hint and that's it. Or you can just print the map.

i get online FPSes and tank sims cos frustration is addictive even if most gamers (including me lol) are not really interested in efficiently practising an action game, plus there's always crowds of people playing. i understand DOTA stuff and Smash for the same reason - high playerbase, lots of tutorials out there, you tend to feel like you couldve won and there's a million conditional things you can blame to save yr ego. i understand WOW and things like Path of Exile cos pursuit of the most optimal way of accruing resources is basically some robotic real life shit already and plenty of people are psychopaths. i understand Pokemon and Stardew Valley cos lots of work has gone into making them adorable, I get Undertale cos it's a clever send-up and its dialogue feels like it was written by a person and very unarchetypical in general. Undertale is a good game!

but i don't understand people who speedrun Final Fantasy X - the run is ten hours of agony and dialogue skipping and no-one'll respect the record because all it represents is a series of favourable coin-flips. possibly the most pointless diversion among pointless diversions

Edited by yakfak

2 hours ago, seed said:

toxic people I have no idea how others can stand playing them, they're one of the main reasons why I lost my interest in MP as a whole.

Mute voice-chat, problem solved (unless you're playing teamwork-heavy games like CSGO, at that point you know what you're getting yourself into. but even then it's not a big deal as long as you join casual lobbies / avoid competitive)

Fortnite, my little brother lost a game and started screaming and crying(he's 12) he has online classes(he spent all of 6th grade being a cunt so now no-one wants to be around him and the second closest middle school is a half hour drive) so he spends all fucking day on Fortnite.

I don't really get why rogue-like is a popular thing. I can see it as a game mode but I don't know how many times I spotted a new RPG on Steam and see it's a rogue-like and I take a pass on it. Getting killed and having to start over doesn't appeal to me. I can barely stand save points, which can be fine if they're not too far apart.

Oh and another thing. I don't even give a rats ass if I ever try VR or not. hah.

@Doom_Dude Why I enjoy rogue-lites, such as Risk of Rain and Caveblazers (my first one I beat was Rogue Legacy), because there is auxiliary progress even if you lose a game, there's stuff to unlock and eventually you'll have an easier time, especially if you commit to learning from your mistakes and get better anyway, but that's just normal for a new game. While a rogue-like is all or nothing. I don't know if I'd enjoy that kind of stress, it certainly doesn't respect your time if you hope to get anywhere at all anytime soon.

4 hours ago, Matthias said:

"You know... Dota, CS:GO, World of Tanks..."

Why are you talking like CS:GO is a bad game?

11 minutes ago, DSC said:

Why are you talking like CS:GO is a bad game?

Probably because he thinks it is, and so do I tbh. That game stopped being any good after it left the beta for me, and especially after it got all those crappy "rebalancing" updates a couple of years ago. I've seen it even got a Battle Royale mode, can't get more desperate than that...

39 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Mute voice-chat, problem solved (unless you're playing teamwork-heavy games like CSGO, at that point you know what you're getting yourself into. but even then it's not a big deal as long as you join casual lobbies / avoid competitive)

Hence why I explicitly said "competitive", but even on more casual friendly games one can easily find themselves getting kicked non-stop for no reason and eventually getting blocked... who knows what for. So fun.

The communities of those kind of games are more toxic than post-explosion Chernobyl (and the games themselves aren't really all that great to begin with). I've got better things to do (and study) than wasting time with them, and I can no longer see how they're still found enjoyable by people.

The only times I see people getting votekicked in casual de_ is when they're wasting other people's time running around the field aimlessly, and even in the random occasions when there's a troll who just likes to randomly votekick players the others will usually just vote no if they don't see a reason to votekick you, that same troll might even get votekicked soon afterwards.

EDIT: It's ok if it doesn't click with you though. it happens.

Edited by sluggard

I can sort of see the appeal in most games even if I don't like them, but one genre of games I will never get are the "clicker" games. Why people play those is way beyond my mind.

I like how all y'alls (ok just most) X-amples can easily be X-plained by "because children" :D

44 minutes ago, seed said:

Probably because he thinks it is, and so do I tbh. That game stopped being any good after it left the beta for me, and especially after it got all those crappy "rebalancing" updates a couple of years ago. I've seen it even got a Battle Royale mode, can't get more desperate than that...

CSGO was horribly balanced when it was in Beta. It was also really buggy and rough-looking in certain areas. During its Beta, most of the best CS players in the world were still playing 1.6, which at the time had much bigger prize pools than CSGO. The only truly dominant CSGO team during the earlier years was Ninjas in Pajamas who still hold the LAN record for 87 straight matches in a tournament setting. In 2012 the Russian/Polish juggernaut Virtus.pro made international headlines when they announced that they'd be switching from 1.6 to CSGO, but they failed to achieve anything in 2012-2013 (their roster was also very unstable during this period), and wouldn't actually win a CSGO tournament until ESL Katowice 2014. NIP was dominant to the point where the game just wasn't very exciting as an eSport. 

What are your problems with the balance adjustments made in 2017? Looking it up, the only balance changes were made to the Tec-9 (slightly improved single-shot accuracy), the Five-SeveN (slightly improved single-shot accuracy, substantially decreased accuracy while moving), and a bunch of minor tweaks to the Dual Berettas, P250, and Revolver. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any constructive criticisms for the balance tweaks that were made in 2017. By far the most controversial balance adjustment ever made to CSGO was in April of 2015 when movement speeds while scoped with the AWP were dramatically reduced. A lot of people were really upset when this happened (I for one thought it was the correct move to make right from the start). But over time, the CSGO community has come to universally acknowledge the nerf as the right move (which it absolutely was). The most unbalanced CSGO ever was was right after the 2015 Winter Update when the Revolver was introduced. That thing broke the game right in half. And do you know how long the Revolver existed for during its earliest incarnation? Two days. There were also problems in the past with the CZ75, AUG, and Tec-9, but they all paled in comparison as to how broken the Revolver was for exactly two days. 

How is CSGO as an eSport desperate? The game is thriving like never before. How does a Battle Royale mode in any way affect the core game; bomb defusal? It's just a neat little extra that has had precisely zero negative impact on the game. In fact, a lot of people really enjoy it.

Please tell me how the "rebalancing" updates in 2017 have in any way damaged the game. I am beyond fascinated to hear what you have to say.

1 minute ago, SOSU said:

I like how all y'alls (ok just most) X-amples can easily be X-plained by "because children" :D

Says the guy whose advice for people to getter at doom is limited to "Just stop dying", which clearly is a stunning display of maturity.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Says the guy whose advice for people to getter at doom is limited to "Just stop dying", which clearly is a stunning display of maturity.

You just don't wanna hear the truth :V
xD

I should do something on topic:
MMOs, i tried getting into some but besides like CoH which i played for a month or so other MMOs got me bored after a few days :(

Those sports games that get released every year with a different roster of players, but are otherwise almost exactly the same game.

28 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Just stop making jokes after a ton of advice has been given loool works every time