Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Game Obsessions You Don't Understand

5 hours ago, geo said:

The need to make videos about how much a game sucks. You're really going to spend hours of your life on a game that you can walk away from?

They must be pretty obsessive to go through the process to record footage, edit footage, buy good equipment to rant about how much bad something is?

Agreed here too, that's just easy clickbait as well.

You're better off doing something more productive and creative than waste energy on telling how much you hate something.

6 minutes ago, seed said:

Agreed here too, that's just easy clickbait as well.

You're better off doing something more productive and creative than waste energy on telling how much you hate something.

This is basically making good use of a person's mind. In many ways, people tend to remember bad things, and share bad feelings about something. I personally like to talk about somebody else, but I really suppress this urge because I know this is not constructive. Well, I mean, liking something doesn't mean you should do something.

18 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

This is basically making good use of a person's mind. In many ways, people tend to remember bad things, and share bad feelings about something. I personally like to talk about somebody else, but I really suppress this urge because I know this is not constructive. Well, I mean, liking something doesn't mean you should do something.

It's more constructive to do something else, basically. Especially debating ideas, you might come up with something great or learn something in the process. This actually reminds me of a quote.

As about the other point, that's actually just how the human psyche works, for a reason or another. It leans more towards negativity, and remembers unpleasant or traumatic experiences much easier than positive things, which also tend to have a much more profound impact. And also look at vocabulary for instance: most languages have more words to describe things that are perceived as negative rather than positive.

11 minutes ago, seed said:

It's more constructive to do something else, basically. Especially debating ideas, you might come up with something great or learn something in the process. This actually reminds me of a quote.

As about the other point, that's actually just how the human psyche works, for a reason or another. It leans more towards negativity, and remembers unpleasant or traumatic experiences much easier than positive things, which also tend to have a much more profound impact. And also look at vocabulary for instance: most languages have more words to describe things that are perceived as negative rather than positive.

Yeah, it's this way, and nice quote. I'm just honest to say this makes me feel good, but in the same time, I try to make myself not doing it. However, humans are not machines, so sometimes you need to unload your stress since having too much stress is also not a good thing. That's why human is such a complicated thing if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Yeah, it's this way, and nice quote. I'm just honest to say this makes me feel good, but in the same time, I try to make myself not doing it. However, humans are not machines, so sometimes you need to unload your stress since having too much stress is also not a good thing. That's why human is such a complicated thing if you ask me.

You're not wrong there, it isn't as easy as it might sound.

And of course, you can't keep everything inside, or repress your feelings forever, it is only expected that eventually, and naturally, you're going to explode.

7 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Wasn't there a game from Epic that was about how Call of Duty sucks?

Yes.

Spoiler

Oh and video games. All you do with video games is just press keys and click the mouse.

- Anything Nintendo related that is not Metroid.

- Half Life, especially 2

- Metal Gear games

- Souls games

- PS4 games...er I mean movie exclusives

- Anything Blizzard related

- Yandere Simulator

- rouge-like indie games on Steam

- Hollow Knight

- GTA San Andreas

4 hours ago, seed said:

It's easy views, easy money, those guys don't care if it's unproductive as long as they're getting something out of it.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, Erick said:

Yes.

No. Actually it wasn't Epic, it was made by People Can Fly (Painkiller, Bulletstorm).

Unpopular Opinion: Mario Games. I hate every single Mario game. I can't stand them. I hate the graphics, i hate the game mechanics, i hate the music, and i hate Mario. Can someone please shred this little idiot to pieces, and let them rot somewhere in the woods?

On 10/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, Urthar said:

Those sports games that get released every year with a different roster of players, but are otherwise almost exactly the same game.

+1. I have friends whose sole game purchase every year is the new FIFA. Even as a staunch Liverpool FC fan, I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of buying the same damn game every year with little more than a roster update and a full progress wipe, especially if you're the sort of person who indulges in the card packs. Sensible World Of Soccer still gets fan updates to this very day. WinUAE runs on a housebrick. Save your £55 and go play that.

I don't get how there's still a X console versus Y console rivalry, or the insistence on the "PC master race" meme. They're boxes that do fancy computations. Why the competition?

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I don't get how there's still a X console versus Y console rivalry, or the insistence on the "PC master race" meme. They're boxes that do fancy computations. Why the competition?

Yea, platform wars and exclusivity are 2 things I never understood either.

Modern Racing games.

The only modern racing game I play is Onrush and even then that's really only because it reminds me of Burnout and the Need for Speed games.

Yeah graphics look nice but it feels like the same game every time to me...

Fortnite.

Yes I've played it briefly , Honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe i'm just getting old. 

Achievements.

Yes please bombard my session with dumb real world awards I couldn't care less about while I'm trying to get immersed in the game itself.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:33 AM, Matthias said:

I just don't understand why some people are so much online-oriented... Actually I would understand it... What I don't understand why MOST OF GAMERS are online-game oriented. I mean - outside of social bubble of retrogamers... Whenever I meet someone who is a gamer, he usually plays CS;GO, LOL, WOW, WOT and all these MMORPG...

I get the feeling you're referring more to people who play exclusively online games, in which case I agree - Being totally on my own and escaping into a game world is something that I like to do every now and then. But, if not for multiplayer/community, I'd have to say in all honesty that I'd probably have been bored of Doom years ago by now. The community of interesting people and their many different creations and perspectives is what keeps me around, and as far as the game itself, the ability to play against opponents with an actual brain is amazing.

I think it must be totally down to perspective. I remember a week or two ago Linguica said something along the lines of "Doom PVP is boring and repetitive", and I just thought it was a total knee-slapper for a DOOM fan to mention repetitive gameplay. Single player Dooming has so little variance where mutliplayer Dooming has so much - an imp is always going to slowly and stupidly lumber towards me and occasionally throw a fireball. I'm not shitting on Doom when I say this but, whoop-tee-freakin-doo.

Now, on the other hand, a human opponent can totally outsmart me, or I can outsmart them, or they might be better at map knowledge while I'm better at aim, or whatever other various combinations of possibilities. I find it amusing to refer to what is possibly the only gamemode with the potential for "truly surprising" enemy encounters as repetitive when the entire formula of Doom's gameplay is based around easily choreographed, repetitive attacks and behaviors from the monsters. (Not an insult to be clear, having clear and simple rules is not a bad thing). Of course, you get unexpected enemy encounters in SP Doom from playing new maps, so I guess the same basic thrill is achieved by different means.

All this is making it sound like I find SP Doom boring, which I certainly do not - I just can't play SP for more than about an hour before I save and move onto something else until tomorrow or later. Perhaps this is the mindset of many MP gamers, they're seeking that thrill of potential unexpected challenges, of course combined with the built-in dopamine release we get from a feeling of friendship or comradery which often forms in more social games. Of course, there's the fools who carry on like in that video Ajora posted.. I can't imagine you win many comrades with that kind of behavior. At least I hope not.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, JudgeDeadd said:

Since I've grown up with a PC and MS-DOS games instead of the NES, I could never really understand the Americans' obsession with Zelda and Mario and Contra and all that. To be frank, the only NES game I've truly enjoyed was River City Ransom. As for the other NES "classics"... well, I tried to play them, and my impression... well, "I guess I had to be there".

Super Mario Bros. especially.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, best game ever, immortal classic, etc., but it don't change the fact that I've tried playing the game and found it more frustrating than fun. The controls feel awfully slippery; it's like Mario slides on ice whenever he walks or jumps, and it's damn near impossible to land precisely. (I do like the high variety of the levels, though.) What's bizarre is that I've seen this game touted many times as the epitome of perfect jump physics... it's like we've been playing completely different games.

Did you grow up with Commander Keen? I don't often say this because it's very silly, but I thought Commander Keen was shit when I was a kid. I mean, I thought the game itself seemed awesome in some ways (referring specifically to Keen 4 and 5, Goodbye Galaxy) but the way that Keen "locks" to the floor when he's walking and that awkward pogo stick control.. I could just never wrap my head around it. I feel like the exact same game but where Keen controls in a more Mario-like fashion would be a blast for me.

This has to be another matter of perspective, though. Super Mario Bros was my first platformer ever and I was quite serious about speedrunning it in bygone years, I've never actually met another person who can do a sub 6 minute run on that game, so I guess my opinion is skewed towards it. If I had started with Keen, which was almost as likely since PC and NES were basically my two main funboxes as a kid, I might be nodding along in 100% agreement right now..

On 10/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, seed said:

I've grown up with NES clone systems and thus TONS of NES games, and I have to agree here too. I mean sure, I played Mario and Contra in particular and they were pretty good and fun to play, but just like Pokemon, I still don't get how they've become so popular and what exactly people find so appealing. Is it the characters, is it the music, is it the visual design and theme? Maybe all of these and more, but I dunno...

Too many games that came out on NES were the best at the little role they filled and have yet to be surpassed, imo. That may sound weird, so I'll give an example: I've always loved the game Joust. It was perfect for what it was, and when I get a wild hair up my ass telling me "you want to play Joust now", no other game can scratch that specific itch. The same applies for many games I love (on a variety of consoles), and of course I could play Joust on some other console, but some titles are NES exclusives and never got better looking reboots or sequels of any kind, so you really can't get that particular thrill you're seeking from any other game - either an NES or an emulator is required at that point! I get random urges to play various games I've enjoyed in the past throughout any given week and I find there's a decently high chance it ends up being an NES game whenever the urge strikes.

Now, if some game came along that provided me the same kind of satisfaction and gameplay that Joust does but looked and sounded nicer, and perhaps had more to offer, then I suppose I could give up Joust forever and truly "move on" from it. As it stands, no other game fulfills that exact little niche that Joust does. (Again Joust is just a random example I pulled outta nowhere, you could substitute any number of games in it's place)

On 10/10/2019 at 11:14 PM, geo said:

The need to make videos about how much a game sucks. You're really going to spend hours of your life on a game that you can walk away from?

They must be pretty obsessive to go through the process to record footage, edit footage, buy good equipment to rant about how much bad something is? Then they feel to justify the cost and time sink fallacy, they need to keep doing it until 5 years later they have to mention how depressed they are.

LOL I get this, and the irony of creating negative-vibes content where you're constantly complaining for years and then ending up depressed is not lost on me, but I think it's gotta be noted that critics are - or, at least were - universally shit on by the masses. It takes nuts to openly express an unpopular opinion, even about something trivial like video games. After all, something being trivial doesn't necessarily prevent people from becoming passionate about it as I'm sure we're all evidence of in one way or another.

If someone put hours of effort into making a video just to shit on my bad game, it's kind of flattering. I did something and it got a strong reaction! Yay! Not only that, but from their criticisms I may be able to take notes and build an exponentially better game next time around, avoiding the design pitfalls that my previous game suffered from (at least in the eyes of that critic). Even if they have nothing of value to say, I can still get entertainment out of the nerd rage present in such videos, and the entertainment would be all that much sweeter knowing my creation warranted such a passionate reaction.

Edited by Doomkid

Every game after the year 2000. It's like everyone were waiting for the new millennium to start to make everything worse.

The typical copy-and-paste minimal effort "horror" games that come out every year like clockwork since 2014 (and the idiots who make videos of them pissing their pants over this shit). They follow the same formula of a vast amount of no actual gameplay, followed by some asshole in a fursuit popping up and screaming louder than a toddler that didn't get their way at a store.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, The_SloVinator said:

- Souls games

- Hollow Knight

These are quite similar, so let me explain, as a fan of this type of games.

Personally, I think that they actually have a lot in common with... Doom. I love them because - contrary to "PS4 movie exclusives" - when I play them, I actually feel like I'm playing a game. A game that doesn't think I'm stupid and have to be guided from start to finish. I love the fact you have many places to go from the start, you need to remember the way, you yourself need to judge if some area is too hard and maybe it's worth to explore another one first. It's non linear map design at its finest.

As for difficulty, the funny thing is... these games are good in making you THINK they're difficult, while they aren't. When you get used to them, you'll notice you die rarely, but you're still tense because you now that death has meaning here, you can lose something (but not to the point of being unable to progress). Also, no other genre makes bosses to satisfying to defeat. I used to hate boss battles in games - after some Souls games, I love them.

As for Hollow Knight, I used to think it looks stupid, WTF, some cartoon bug in black and white - but gameplay and design is just spot on, and after a while I started to dig the aestethic too.

So, I know why you might not like it and I don't want to convince you otherwise, I just wanted to explain why some people love these games.

2 hours ago, Szuran said:

As for difficulty, the funny thing is... these games are good in making you THINK they're difficult, while they aren't. When you get used to them, you'll notice you die rarely, but you're still tense because you now that death has meaning here, you can lose something (but not to the point of being unable to progress). Also, no other genre makes bosses to satisfying to defeat. I used to hate boss battles in games - after some Souls games, I love them.

The problem here is that many people got too used to hand-holding in other games, and when they're left alone to figure their way through the game, things take a drastic change. If you're careful enough and paying attention to the game (and maybe read a guide or two), the Souls games aren't as difficult as their reputation dictates.

I definitely don't understand why people buy stuff like Ghost Recon Wildlands, where there's basically no end and you just spend forever messing around in a sandbox online. Having previously played online shooters and the like, I do understand the appeal of things like Overwatch and TF2, although I don't bother with them myself... But being a dedicated online-multiplayer-only gamer I just don't "get". Especially with all of the MTX and regular large, expensive DLCs that come around. You're either grinding a lot to play most online games competitively, or there's a pretty big financial outlay.

I knew a load of guys a few years ago who would "casually" play console games, which translated to a bit of playing stuff like Assassin's Creed, mixed in with some seriously heavy FIFA, CoD, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Fortnite or Battlefield online multiplayer time. They probably spent just as much time playing games as I did, but because it was online multiplayer rather than going through campaigns or stories, they just didn't see it the same way.

Biggest thing I don't understand though? Streaming. How do people spend hours watching somebody else playing a game? I can just about manage watching people play my maps for feedback purposes, and even that depends on player skill and quality of feedback. I can't imagine how you'd do it if you're not invested in hearing what they think about the game.

- Battle Royal

- MOBA

- Minecraft

- Hero shooters

- MMO FPS

- Pokemons

- why Gears IP isn't dead

34 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Biggest thing I don't understand though? Streaming. How do people spend hours watching somebody else playing a game? I can just about manage watching people play my maps for feedback purposes, and even that depends on player skill and quality of feedback. I can't imagine how you'd do it if you're not invested in hearing what they think about the game.

The big thing about streaming is often interacting with the streamer or the chat while the game is played, rather than the game itself IMO. However, that's the reason why I enjoy watching streams. Some don't like chatting and might prefer to lurk and just have something to watch for their enjoyment.

6 hours ago, Szuran said:

These are quite similar, so let me explain, as a fan of this type of games.

Personally, I think that they actually have a lot in common with... Doom. I love them because - contrary to "PS4 movie exclusives" - when I play them, I actually feel like I'm playing a game. A game that doesn't think I'm stupid and have to be guided from start to finish. I love the fact you have many places to go from the start, you need to remember the way, you yourself need to judge if some area is too hard and maybe it's worth to explore another one first. It's non linear map design at its finest.

As for Hollow Knight, I used to think it looks stupid, WTF, some cartoon bug in black and white - but gameplay and design is just spot on, and after a while I started to dig the aestethic too.

So, I know why you might not like it and I don't want to convince you otherwise, I just wanted to explain why some people love these games.

That's cool.

I should've been actually clear with my list.

The thing I can't understand about Souls games is majority of gamers see this as an opportunity to boast their gaming skills & meme the hell out of the series for "destroying casuals". That specific obsession is rather annoying to see, especially the comparisons i.e. "this x game is dark souls of x series"

I did hear that Souls games aren't difficult once you get used to the game mechanics & have patience.

As for the Hollow Knight, literary nothing about it seems appealing for me. Played it for 4 hours, trying to give it a chance but ended quitting it due to no fun I had with it.

- Every time you attack, you bounce backwards a bit.

- Map making was a tedium for me. You need to get a piece of paper, explore the area & sit on the bench to update the explored area on the map.

- Story wasn't engaging.

- Didn't like the aesthetics & music either.

To each their own.

1 hour ago, The_SloVinator said:

- Every time you attack, you bounce backwards a bit.

You get an upgrade for that. ;)

5 hours ago, Phobus said:

Biggest thing I don't understand though? Streaming. How do people spend hours watching somebody else playing a game?

The only streams I like to watch are Devstreams because they are actually interesting and show what's coming in future updates...etc, would rather play the games.

4 hours ago, Alper002 said:

The big thing about streaming is often interacting with the streamer or the chat while the game is played, rather than the game itself IMO. However, that's the reason why I enjoy watching streams. Some don't like chatting and might prefer to lurk and just have something to watch for their enjoyment.

Yea, pretty much. Playing stuff live and interacting with your audience, and vice versa, is one of the main attractions of streaming, it's a pretty pleasant experience when things go well too. You could say "what's the deal with this" in the case of gameplay videos too, like, why waste time watching someone else's footage when you can play the game yourself.

It basically comes down to entertainment imo, but it depends on what everyone is looking for. I'm personally doing this for fun. Ironically, I'm not big into streaming - there's only a select few streamers I watch, and I hate those channels with "follower only" chats (spoiled much?), with flashy and noisy notifications, and chats full of memes, emotes, and low tier sarcasm.

5 hours ago, Phobus said:

But being a dedicated online-multiplayer-only gamer I just don't "get". Especially with all of the MTX and regular large, expensive DLCs that come around. You're either grinding a lot to play most online games competitively, or there's a pretty big financial outlay.

I think that's what I like to call "ego masturbation" more often than not - people who only play those kinds of games because they're "the big thing", "to keep up with the rest", or, to avoid being perceived as "filthy casuals" (social pressure). These people don't give a damn about MTX, grinding, and so on, they just don't want to be considered "losers". And yes, I've run into plenty of people like that in everyday life, such folks do most certainly exist. Of course, there's another group that prefers those games simply because they do, or they're highly competitive by nature.

1 hour ago, seed said:

and I hate those channels with "follower only" chats (spoiled much?)

This is a weird problem when you have too big of an audience I guess, but it seems it's a nice "problem" to have TBH... regular streamers probably don't have that big of an audience to worry about. My personal complaint about streaming is that, eventually the streamer will get into the "commercial" reaction because they are making a living (I didn't say there's something wrong with that), so personally I prefer talking to someone that is closer to me. That's why I mostly don't watch streams.