Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Game Obsessions You Don't Understand

24 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

This is a weird problem when you have too big of an audience I guess, but it seems it's a nice "problem" to have TBH... regular streamers probably don't have that big of an audience to worry about.

No. Keeping your chat as "follower-only" is a nice way to say "I'm a spoiled brat who wants to harvest followers. Follow me to interact with the audience and myself or GTFO." At least, that's the way I see things, I see no excuse for preventing people from interacting with you. It's childish and reeks of entitlement.

38 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

My personal complaint about streaming is that, eventually the streamer will get into the "commercial" reaction because they are making a living (I didn't say there's something wrong with that), so personally I prefer talking to someone that is closer to me. That's why I mostly don't watch streams.

Yeah, things do change once you start doing things for money. You change your approach, and eventually things become less fun, because you're no longer doing it necessarily because you like to, but you need to make a living. It becomes a business, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but I'm not a fan of the idea honestly.

I personally do not accept money. I take requests for stuff and whatnot, but if I'd do, I would only accept that to keep the channel alive, and not for requests or whatever. Money complicates many aspects of streaming actually.

32 minutes ago, seed said:

No. Keeping your chat as "follower-only" is a nice way to say "I'm a spoiled brat who wants to harvest followers. Follow me to interact with the audience and myself or GTFO." At least, that's the way I see things, I see no excuse for preventing people from interacting with you. It's childish and reeks of entitlement.

I understood your point, and I also agree with the negativity because of this. However, sometimes you imagine there are 100 people talking in the same time, this becomes not so interaction anymore. Also, sometimes people just come in and say stupid $h!t like accusation or whatnot, but they won't pay to say those, so I guess it's a good way to prevent this. This is Internet, and people just want to dump whatever they want in words. Besides this, I am completely agree with you, and I strongly agree with "when this become business, it loses the 'heart' of it".

42 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I understood your point, and I also agree with the negativity because of this. However, sometimes you imagine there are 100 people talking in the same time, this becomes not so interaction anymore. Also, sometimes people just come in and say stupid $h!t like accusation or whatnot, but they won't pay to say those, so I guess it's a good way to prevent this.

But here's the thing: Trolls and assholes will just follow you, take a dump on your stream, unfollow, and then leave (of course after getting banned, but you get my point anyway). Follower-only streams do not prevent this. Subscriber-only chats might do, or at least bring the risk down to a minimum, because yeah what kind of a piece of shit do you have to be to subscribe just for the sake of spreading toxicity and idiocy? It's simple logic really - don't like what you're seeing or think it isn't worth your attention, stop watching and move on to something you find more enjoyable and entertaining.

Follower-only chats also don't make things more manageable either - if your active viewers, or most of them, are followers who enjoy chatting, and not lurkers of people who end up joining your session, you'll still be flooded with messages. I'm not trying to impose my views on you or anything like that, I just don't see any benefit of such a chat.

14 minutes ago, seed said:

Follower-only streams do not prevent this. Subscriber-only chats might do

Oh my bad... I said that because I thought it's subscriber only, not follower only.

For me it's coop play.

Ok so I get that people find playing a game with someone else fun. But it has such little appeal to me I can't understand it in an emotional level.

For me, as soon as you get someone else involved, especially with voice chat;

- Delete Immersion / atmosphere

- Delete your own pacing

- Delete independence of playing as little or much progress as you desire and when

- Delete attention to what story the game has to offer

Take those away from the game and I lose interest in the game itself.

Competitive multiplayer is fine for me as it is designed around these factors and I often don't have to interact with others beyond attempting to eliminate them.

Every new sports game release, They look like recycled versions of the exact same game but with small changes here and there, don't see why it's worth repaying full price for it again every year.

I don't understand the fixation the industry has on realistic, tactical military shooters. I play video games because I get to jump into a completely different reality, and so a simulation of real-world war is unattractive since I have no desire to simulate that part of being.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, Doom_Dude said:

I don't really get why rogue-like is a popular thing. I can see it as a game mode but I don't know how many times I spotted a new RPG on Steam and see it's a rogue-like and I take a pass on it. Getting killed and having to start over doesn't appeal to me. I can barely stand save points, which can be fine if they're not too far apart.

Oh and another thing. I don't even give a rats ass if I ever try VR or not. hah.

Spoiler

Nah, roguelikes are fun to me, but because they are ACTUAL ones. The turn-based, grid-based ones, if that.
I like planning tactics in an indefinite time and getting immersed in the games' mechanics.

I mean, I can offer you all some decent actual roguelikes, but "roguelikes vs roguelites" is a battle I have no chance of winning here. For reference, try DoomRL.

Still don't get what's the deal with roguelites, though, especially Binding of Issac - basically a 2D Zelda clone but with only randomly generated dungeons, a confusing storyline and characters.

Also,

Borderlands, specifically, the series as a whole. The idea of an ARPG in first person with guns and a comic-like artstyle sounds pretty boring to me. 

Auto Chess. I can't stand MOBA classes being chess pawns.

DUSK, which I honestly found it to be... boring. I'd rather play Doom or Blood instead, really.

8 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Still don't get what's the deal with roguelites, though, especially Binding of Issac - basically a 2D Zelda clone but with only randomly generated dungeons, a confusing storyline and characters.

I sort of can explain this part, but it's a minor opinion IMO since most of the people don't play like this.

Firstly, the storyline and characters don't really matter, just like Doom. It's there, but you shouldn't be too serious about it since it doesn't make too sense whatsoever.

Then, the gameplay, yeah, it's basically a randomly generated dungeon you have to fight through. I mostly play for winning streaks since this basically shows how much understanding of the game because there are so many screw you moments of these types of games due to the RNG. However, using your understanding and skill to get out of the pickle and win is really satisfying. In other words, probably it's very satisfying that you can beat a run that many people can't beat it.

However, people like to just reset until they have ridiculously overpowered run and blast through everything. That's the playstyle I don't do and I don't understand what fun is that.

3 hours ago, Chezza said:

For me it's coop play.

Ok so I get that people find playing a game with someone else fun. But it has such little appeal to me I can't understand it in an emotional level.

For me, as soon as you get someone else involved, especially with voice chat;

- Delete Immersion / atmosphere

- Delete your own pacing

- Delete independence of playing as little or much progress as you desire and when

- Delete attention to what story the game has to offer

Take those away from the game and I lose interest in the game itself.

Competitive multiplayer is fine for me as it is designed around these factors and I often don't have to interact with others beyond attempting to eliminate them.

If you know the person you're playing with, it's great. But I don't see the appeal in playing coop with a stranger.

But yeah, if it's you and a friend, or a sibling, playing coop, then it's a hoot. Otherwise, no real appeal to me.

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Nah, roguelikes are fun to me, but because they are ACTUAL ones. The turn-based, grid-based ones, if that.
I like planning tactics in an indefinite time and getting immersed in the games' mechanics.

I mean, I can offer you all some decent actual roguelikes, but "roguelikes vs roguelites" is a battle I have no chance of winning here. For reference, try DoomRL.

I like roguelikes but Issac never clicked with me.

All those features exist in Enter the Gungeon which I could play for all eternity.  RNG won't stop a good player yet the game has so many features to remind you that not everyone will kill their past :p

12 minutes ago, Pegg said:

I like roguelikes but Issac never clicked with me.

All those features exist in Enter the Gungeon which I could play for all eternity.  RNG won't stop a good player yet the game has so many features to remind you that not everyone will kill their past :p

It's a shame that the modding part of the game is so limited, both in terms of contents and creators.

The base game itself is excellent though

14 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

It's a shame that the modding part of the game is so limited, both in terms of contents and creators.

The base game itself is excellent though

It's surprising that there is even mods for that game, I stopped playing it cus I entered a salt mine but eh. (Goddamnit those Pillars suck)

I would like to play mods, and more if they have a console, though.

3 hours ago, Archanhell said:

It's surprising that there is even mods for that game, I stopped playing it cus I entered a salt mine but eh. (Goddamnit those Pillars suck)

I would like to play mods, and more if they have a console, though.

Check out Mod the Gungeon

+ Mod Workshop then.

You'll find lots of goodies there.

The former is a modding API and features a console (that lets you use god mode, give weapons for example), the latter is where people mainly post their mods.

Reaction videos. Seriously, whenever I look for a trailer for a upcoming game, or DLC trailer, the first page of videos will be a bunch of random youtubers making *REACTION* VIDEO!ONE!!!ONE!!. It's almost becoming a hassle to just look for a trailer without random youtubers exaggerating their over the top wild emotions in trailers. Most cut scenes in trailers are so generic, yet these youtubers act like they never seen something so "amazing".

When I was looking up the Terminator trailer for Mortal Kombat 11, I had to scroll through quite a bit of those *REACTION* videos just to find that one peaceful trailer.

5 hours ago, ZealknightMR said:

Reaction videos. Seriously, whenever I look for a trailer for a upcoming game, or DLC trailer, the first page of videos will be a bunch of random youtubers making *REACTION* VIDEO!ONE!!!ONE!!. It's almost becoming a hassle to just look for a trailer without random youtubers exaggerating their over the top wild emotions in trailers. Most cut scenes in trailers are so generic, yet these youtubers act like they never seen something so "amazing".

WOOOOOOH MAN THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME, like DAMN DOOD!!!! Ohhh my GOD A FAMILIAR CHARACTER?!? WOWWW!!!! 💯🤩🤑🤯😃 THIS is my TOTALLY GENUINE and not at all FORCED and PAINFUL reaction!! WOOOOOOH!!!

..Is this attempt at selling my insipid reaction to <piece of popular media> working yet? Where’s my Google Adsense check?!

@Doomkid oh wow, you're validating something I already love and acting more excited than I am about it! You have a new subscriber friend.

13 hours ago, ZealknightMR said:

When I was looking up the Terminator trailer for Mortal Kombat 11, I had to scroll through quite a bit of those *REACTION* videos just to find that one peaceful trailer.

Spoiler

Still don't get why does it become a popular thing...

Spoiler

oh,that 2 girls 1 cup thingy

Marking it as a spoiler because I don't want derail the thread.
And adding some more games...

Basically any MMO survival games + BR genre (since I've heard people claiming BR to be a subgenre of MMO survival games). They are boring, some are full of cheaters. But I guess people play it because they like to suffer + gaming with a friend is fun.

Ubisoft's games, AC specifically. And I don't get why many people critizized every new AC games for being carbon copies of their predecesor, yet they still played them.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, seed said:

No. Keeping your chat as "follower-only" is a nice way to say "I'm a spoiled brat who wants to harvest followers.

I haven't been keeping up with the conversation but i saw this comment and just wanted to say that i agree. When i'm in a twitch stream/chat and it's time for a raid or something and the raid ends up in a channel that's in "follower-only" mode, especially if it's a small channel with only a few hundred or less people watching, i usually just leave as i see that as being just...ugh.

I can understand doing it if you have like 10k+ viewers but with a few hundred or less it's not cool. At all. I don't just follow someone randomly. I usually watch them for a bit, communicate with them if i can and then decide if it's a channel that i'd like to watch and/or be a part of (the community i mean). I'm not going to follow someone randomly just because someone shouted out "go follow this channel" or so i can talk in their chat, even if i can unfollow afterwords. You have to earn my follow imo.

Anyways as for the topic, games i don't understand that people have obsessions with: mainly MMO/MMORPG's like StarCraft/WoW or BR games like Fortnite, PUBG, even games like DayZ (even though i admit that i used to play the old beta/alpha around 4-5 years ago).

Also Hentai/nudie type games that i see on Steam all the damn time. I don't understand the obsession with those at all.

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

Starcraft isn't an MMO.

Thanks. I meant RTS. While i do understand the obsession with RTS games, I'm not big on them even though i have played a few in the past such as AOE 2 HD Edition, Warcraft III and C&C Red Alert but usually only with friends.

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

brutal doom and its followers/offsprings/bastards.

I don't consider myself a offspring bastard but I guess you don't understand 

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

Because it's the most well known. People who play Brutal Doom religiously probably aren't Doom community regulars, they probably saw TotalBiscuit or whoever play it and got into it. They probably don't know about many other gameplay mods except maybe the stuff that's popular on Zandronum. 

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

7 hours ago, ketmar said:

Yea, same here...

I don't hate BD (or Project Brutality, for that matter), its fans (I used to love it in the past, so I can see where these folks come from), or whatever, it's just that some people can be quite obnoxious about it (and even insist on having various mods and wads compatible with it, that's not only not nice, but not up to you in the slightest. Or you can DIY).

I sometimes feel like people who prefer it especially over the original like the idea of Doom, but not Doom itself. They don't seem to care about other mods/wads either.

7 hours ago, Chezza said:

I don't consider myself a offspring bastard but I guess you don't understand

heh. sure, i meant "mods inspired by BD/continues it in some way are BD followers". but i like your way of thinking.

No problem with BD or PB, but I do wonder how the fuck people play those WADs if all you hear is THUDDDATHUDDATHUDDA AAARH HUEEEGH WUUGUUUHHHGORGL. There could be fifty cyberdemons lurking behind that red door, but you'd never hear it because the dying zombiemen are dying too loud.