Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sofusdm

If i buy doom on steam. Will i have the .wad file?

yep! the wad file comprises all the graphical, ui, audio and level data in Doom so it'll have to be there :))

Yes. Ultimate Doom comes with DOOMU.wad, Doom2 with DOOM2.WAD, Final Doom comes with unpatched TNT.WAD and PLUTONIA.WAD, etc. AFAIK there are all classic WADs on Steam. What you buy are essentially DOS versions with preset DosBox config.

The .wad file holds the main content of the game. Level data, graphics, etc.

So it is included in the Steam version. For everything else you can also use modern ports (like for example gzdoom). As long as you have the .wad you can play Doom with the port.

Most source ports (such as Crispy Doom or GZDoom) automatically find WAD files installed through Steam too. You can just unzip these ports to some folder and start playing, no mucking about with finding and copying the WAD files :)

You might need a sourceport. Doom 1 on Steam didn't work for me out of the box yet Doom 2 did.

Yeah a doom release without the wad file would be like a car with no wheels.

I recommend getting Doom 3 BFG Edition.   Copy the BFG Edition doom.wad and doom2.wad to another folder.   And then use the iwad patcher on those copies to turn them into the regular Ultimate and v1,9.   You'll still want to try Doom 2 BFG edition (running under a port just the same) with its new episode contained in nerve.wad.

21 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

I'm not sure if steam have vanila wads. The rumors say that it replaces the vanilla medkits sprites with some that have weird two striped egg drawn on it.

Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom bougth on steam will have the originals wads.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition have a patched .wad that includes another logo for heathpacks (Pill instead a red cross) and remplaced/removed all nazi references. (MAP 31 AND 32 are the same, but without nazi decorations and nazis for example)

But ussing the patch linked by Gokuma you can play the BFG Wads with the originals Doom 1.9 wad and with no end for the living :P

3 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom bougth on steam will have the originals wads.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition have a patched .wad that includes another logo for heathpacks (Pill instead a red cross) and remplaced/removed all nazi references. (MAP 31 AND 32 are the same, but without nazi decorations and nazis for example)

But ussing the patch linked by Gokuma you can play the BFG Wads with the originals Doom 1.9 wad and with no end for the living :P

is there any thread\topic where I can see all of the sprites that has been replaced with the Doom 3 BFG edition? That got me curious, I thought it was only the red cross.

9 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

is there any thread\topic where I can see all of the sprites that has been replaced with the Doom 3 BFG edition? That got me curious, I thought it was only the red cross.

There this changelog on the first patchs.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/61818-doom-3-bfg-edition-iwad-patches/

Here also the wiki with more information.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_3:_BFG_Edition#Differences_with_Doom_and_Doom_2

Patches are available to change BFG-versions back to normal  V1.9-versions.
http://doomgate.de/files/duub/index.html

BTW: There's something called the "search function". I guess this has been answered many times before..:-)