Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Blood is underrated AF

Hey guys, long time no see ;)

Ok, I know this is DOOMworld and not BLOODworld. But still, being a huge doom lover myself, I came across a build engine game called Blood. I played it and I enjoyed it more than Plutonia and harder doom maps. The game is not 100% perfect, yes. It has creepy cutscenes and a few more problems. But overall, it's a really good game and it never got the doom solution, it has source ports and recently got remastered, but the source code for the game was never released and so all these source ports are just a reversed engineered version and none are using the OG code. 

And I found things that would make a decent doom enemy (not by mechanics but the design) like the gargoyles and maybe hellhounds. And heck, the protagonist is a psycho badass.

I wanted to ask has anyone played the game? What are your opinions about it?

I've seen blood discussed on these boards countless times and in other FPS communities, so it's definitely a well known game. Honestly I think its a fun game, not my favorite FPS but I can see the appeal.

But ya, Blood is pretty well known and a lot of people who are into old school FPS games have definitely heard of it, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

6 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

so it's definitely a well known game

Maybe it is a well know game, but it never is respected that much. No source code, no proper source port.

Even BloodGDX is a RE engine... (Fresh Supply is a good remaster but it needs work and it may be a good one IDK)

6 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks, man.

I've heard people call Blood underrated enough times to the point where I don't think it can any longer be called underrated. A cult classic, sure, but not underrated. 

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

A cult classic, sure, but not underrated. 

The reason I call it underrated is not because of the recognition, but the respect. It doesn't have a good community, it's not getting a good sequel, it's not being improved as Doom did. (I'm not saying it's underrated because it's not Doom. Point is, Blood needs more respect)

It's pretty good, wouldn't put it up there with Doom, then again, I'm a weirdo who doesn't really care for Duke Nukem either.

5 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

wouldn't put it up there with Doom

Right, but still it's better than DN(Don't get me wrong, DN is great, but Blood is better)

1 minute ago, The Doommer said:

Right, but still it's better than DN(Don't get me wrong, DN is great, but Blood is better)

I agree, I think Blood is better.

9 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Does it get respect like DN? I think not...

On this message board, it gets quite a bit more respect than Duke Nukem 3D. 

Blood is easily the most jerked-over Build Engine game on retro forums. If anything, it's overrated.

37 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Not really. It never got a good sequel. 

Then game is underrated by developers, not the community.

I wouldn't really say that FS is a good remaster, it's okay but it's by no means good or perfect.

I think the problem is that Monolith lost the original code for it, and until Nightdive bought the franchise recently, Atari owned it, and they didn't want to do anything except sit on it. But that doesn't change the fact that the original code is lost. It's hard to make a reliable source port without the original code, hence why everthing that's come out has been re-writing the code as close as possible.

The code wasn't lost, they were asking for too much for it. IIRC Jace Hall said he had access to the code.

Edited by Avoozl

6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Blood is easily the most jerked-over Build Engine game on retro forums. If anything, it's overrated.

Agreed. Infact in some countries (like Russia I think), it is even more popular than Doom. How the hell?

I personally consider Duke3D better than Blood due to better level design+progression, more fair combat and better aesthetics/environment variety. Though I do consider Blood's weapons to be superior to those of Duke.

@The Doommer If u like Build engine games. I recommend trying out Ion Fury as well.

Edited by ReaperAA

4 hours ago, Blake00 said:

No argument from me on this topic. I love it!

There's a good chat over on the ZDoom forums about BuildGX which is a GZDoom of sorts for build engine games and sure enough it supports Blood.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65669#p1115812

Actually, no, it isn't.

GZDoom is about editing features - BuildGDX is merely 5 game engines using the same Build backend in parallel, and the single games are rather basic feature wise. The Blood port in BuildGDX is clearly the most advanced, though.

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

The code wasn't lost, they were asking for too much for it. IIRC Jace Hall said he had access to the code.

This. The source was never truly lost, people such as Jace Hall always had it, but due to legal issues it could never be released.

3 hours ago, Jello said:

I think the problem is that Monolith lost the original code for it, and until Nightdive bought the franchise recently, Atari owned it, and they didn't want to do anything except sit on it. But that doesn't change the fact that the original code is lost. It's hard to make a reliable source port without the original code, hence why everthing that's come out has been re-writing the code as close as possible.

NDS did not buy the franchise, they just reached an agreement with Atari who allowed them to do a remaster. They also had to return it a while ago, so basically FS is officially dead. Based on what I've seen on Duke4, Kaiser allegedly said we're better off using NBlood at this point, if it's true, it's quite telling.

FS had the chance to be the best version of Blood, but it was rushed out the door and they never had the time to properly fix it, so it ended up as average at best unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Back on topic now, yes, Blood is anything but underrated these days, it gets plenty of recognition and still has an active community, which, if anything, is growing bigger. It never got a good sequel, sure, but the game is by no means underrated at this point.

I don't think Blood is underrated, but Blood II definitely is! I played this game many years back and I still remember plenty of interesting moments.

16 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@seed Yeah, what do you mean FS is dead?

Support for FS has ended.

After NDS had to give the game back (probably fulfilled their contractual obligations or something), they recommended sending bug reports to Atari, and they hope they'll be able to work with them again in the future to fix the remaining bugs, but considering the track record of Atari (and how Kaiser allegedly recommended people to forget about FS and "just move on"), it's safer to assume they themselves aren't confident they'll be able to do anything else with the remaster in the future.

50 minutes ago, damned said:

I don't think Blood is underrated, but Blood II definitely is!

Yeah, I didn't enjoy B2 that much at all.

2 hours ago, seed said:

Back on topic now, yes, Blood is anything but underrated these days, it gets plenty of recognition and still has an active community, which, if anything, is growing bigger. It never got a good sequel, sure, but the game is by no means underrated at this point. 

No, definitely not underrated. Those who knew FPSs back in the 90's definitely knew about it. The only reason I never played it back then was the legal situation here in Germany - this was one of the games that was totally impossible to purchase and it took years until I managed to get hold of it, unfortunately then it was too late - I was already on Windows XP and this game still ran on DOS - quite unappealing.

There's one thing about Blood that has been putting me off, and that is the artwork style. I never got into this weird, anachronistic setting the game presents - of the early shooters the one I preferred most were those who tried a bit more realism in their map design, like Redneck Rampage - that game still looks good today and not nearly as dated as all the rest, including Doom and Duke Nukem.

I wouldn't say it's underrated. I think Duke Nukem 3D+Blood+Shadow Warrior are three best build games. Not only in my book, but in general many people seem to see it that way.

Also... the real underrated build game is actually Exhumed :)