Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Freedoom 0.12.0 is released!

Is the project Make Freedoom Great Again still a thing? As far I know, at least one czar renounced. And, in fact, Erick is polishing many maps of varied episodes, without being formally a czar.

At any rate, congratulations. Good job the technospider has once and for all decent sprites.

4 hours ago, Diabolución said:

As far I know, at least one czar renounced.

It was me... but no one removed me in a long time so I decided to get back to it.

Nice! Glad to know that Vanilla compat. is really, really close.

The new flame bringer sprites look pretty good as well as the new HUD face, looks less strangely thin.

All in all a pretty good update, haven't checked out the new FreeDM maps and the new music but i'm sure i'll like them a lot! Congrats to everyone involved, great work as always.

EDIT: I think a link to the manual would be nice to have in the home page.

8 hours ago, Diabolución said:

And, in fact, Erick is polishing many maps of varied episodes, without being formally a czar.

Well, whenever I do have the time. I think a lot of the maps have good layouts and can be solid levels, just some have a lot of leftovers. I hope Chapter 1 in Phase 1 is a better experience now because there were a lot of things that I found too punishing for a first chapter like -20% damage nukage.

I haven't played Freedoom before and just started Phase 1. I like it very much. It's like completely new game on Doom's engine. I am very thankful to everyone who have worked and keep working on this amazing project.

I just played through the first episode of Phase 1 (for the first time) and while the update notes says it's replaced some levels because they were too similar to ones in the original games, I had deja vu on almost every level because of room setups near identical to the ones in Knee Deep in the Dead. Like for example that exit room with all the windows and a tiny elevator before the lever.

Some general stuff about the level design:

There was a lot of "*Push button* What happened?" and in those larger levels it was kind of a pain.

Several maps relied on teleporting in enemies out of nowhere, something that was never done in the original doom and just feels lazy IMO. Doom 2 did it, it was lazy then too.

Overall I still liked it.

Congrats on the release!

I played a bit through Phase 1, everything is nice but there's one thing that is kinda noticeable: C1M1 extensively uses the Aquatex texture set but the subsequent levels in the episode revert to the stock textures. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but I think it would be wonderful if Aquatex assets were used more frequently. I believe they could nicely work to create a distinct techbase kind of style that is different from vanilla Doom's, with a more Quake/Quake II-ish vibe of sorts.

2 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Does it still require -complevel 9 to be used instead of -complevel 2?

Freedoom works with limit-removing ports since 0.11.0, so you can use -complevel 2 for a while now on Freedoom: Phase 2 and FreeDM.

Is there a place I can report minor things such as wrong texture offsets? I don't feel like they warrant their own thread.