Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Desert Warrior- A TC for doom 2. Need a team!

It took me about that long to learn enough about C++ to actually add some halfway decent features to my Hexen mod. Before that, I used a Dehacked type program called Hex. It worked fine, but it was very limited. Using JHexen, I can do just about anything I want (I just need to learn how first, heheh).

Here. It works with Hexen 1.1 too. It may not have quite as many features as Dehacked, but it was good enough for me.

Oh yeah... There's a similar program for Heretic called hhe, in case you need that too.

Oh, right, i know what C+ and C++ are,
I just wasn't thinking about C. Yeah, with
C you could make vavoom do anything, maybe
even cook breakfast...

but for me, i prefer to stick with what I know.
However, I'm willing to learn C language. But
if I know that, like lizardcommando said I might
as well be maing HL mods.

Nick Perrin said:

Butif I know that, like lizardcommando said I might
as well be maing HL mods.

I mean Ct_red_pants, not lizardcommando. Whatever,
they both have fishy avatars.

I have been here for almost a year and a half, and I have never seen a recruitment thread work. What I suggest is that you make a demo with 1 or 2 maps in it, release it, and ask again, both here and in the txt file that should be included with the demo. But you’d have to make the demo pretty interesting, good enough to make people go “Whoa! Now THAT’S Something I want to be apart of!”. Maybe send it out to people who’s made wads with the kind of things you want to see in your wad.

I know that mapmaking isn’t really your thing, but you only need to make one good map showing off the features.

Except maybe the Community Chest project. That one seems to have recruited quite a lot of people so far.

well, whatever, I've already recruited
a level designer that does EDGE stuff(Lurker).

So, yeah, I'll release a demo with one or two
levels and about 4 guns, even though right now
I've made about 6.

You'll see.........

Someone else please join... but I will
release a demo and get a headline on
doomworld so people will notice.

The headline will most likely be as a review in one of the Newstuff Chronicles (mine was in #93, and what a review that was, heheheh).

I have no idea what edge is capable of but I use zdoom because I can make slopes, mirrors, wind, moving floors, wobbling floors(like the lava in quake), turning sectors, force fields, monster routs, poly-objects, laser beams(Like in quake 2), cannons, monster routs, Gravity changes, swimming in pools of water, slippery floors, colored light, fog, flying, falling damage, security cameras, and that is just off the top of my head. Damn! I didn’t realize how many features I already knew about. Now Im even more impressed with zdoom than I was before.

Zdoom is cool in many aspects, But edge has a lot of features too: swim able airless water, 3d floors, monster paths, vast weapon capability, vast monster capability, more ammo types, jetpacks, weapon specific death pain and overkill states, immunities to certain attacks, any line type you need, any sector type you need, any colormap you need, four armor types, easy to edit scripts, weapon reloads after it empties its clip, and that’s not all. Edge may run slow, but it still has GREAT potential.

Nick, I hesitate to post my reply in the original version, not because I am German and you might be - are you? dunno - jewish (felt the need to say that, errgh), it is just because I see you here for the first time and don´t know if you are a fellow Doomer and a <necessarily the same> nice guy or not. Hope to see you often here, since you have the same interest like me: Doom. I don´t want to treat you wrong. I always have problems with TC´s that want to pick up reality. Doom is science fiction. Or let us say: A nightmare, we all have had in the past and still enjoy. It is the secret place we have for our own and in which we can live our imagination (denying the sights of those folks who say that Doom is a plain violent slaughterfest).

There is WolfenDoom, which is a kickass piece of work and brings Wolf3D partiallly into Doom. Personally I like Twighlight Warrior TC (Kat :) and - yes - there is also "Marine Doom" which is more less and looks like US Gouvernment would have given the order to make it.

But:
If a war can be avoided, we should all be happy and rejoice and not make a Doom TC of it in advance. Really - as much I like to see new Wads and TCs for Doom - I don´t want to see this released - It is just disgusting. Sorry - I do hope I don´t give a false impression, I would gladly like to see another Doom TC, but anything other but the killing of real and living persons. Maybe I am a whimp.

Building a bridge from Doom to reality would verify the arguments of those who state that Doom can serve as a trigger for mental deranged persons in reality.

Originally, I wanted to post something like this:

"Will there also be missions in which the player can destroy houses of palestinian families with bulldozers? Then you should use the enhanced DukeNukem3D engine of the game "ShadowWarrior3D". Hey, just imagine Lo Wang entering a vehicle, fixing it with the toolbox he found somewhere before and say "Call me Mister Fix-It". And then - presto - roll over a family´s house :/"

Sorry!!!!!! I agree with everything you said, and that's
why I've changed the story. The only problem is, I had
two versions of this thread, right? But then a guy reported
the one on the "wads and mods" forum to one of the administrators
and the "wads and mods" version was banished to POST HELL!

The new story that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Israeli
military and that will follow through on my TC was on that thread,
so it will be up on my page soon, as the thread was deleted.

Don't worry. I'll never make that TC about Israelis. Just check
out my site soon for the new and better story, that also could
easily make the game more fun.

Nick Perrin said:

Sorry!!!!!! I agree with everything you said, and that's
why I've changed the story. The only problem is, I had
two versions of this thread, right? But then a guy reported
the one on the "wads and mods" forum to one of the administrators
and the "wads and mods" version was banished to POST HELL!

What do you mean some guy reported it? In any case they should have been merged, and in "WADs and MODs", of course. It wasn't sent to PH, by the way. If someone really tried to do that, he or she was too inept to even do that right and for some reason the thread disappeared.

Fortunately Peter mentioned many of the more valid points made there again, notwithstanding the new direction of your TC.

Carnage said:

Zdoom is cool in many aspects, But edge has a lot of features too: swim able airless water, 3d floors, monster paths, vast weapon capability, vast monster capability, more ammo types, jetpacks, weapon specific death pain and overkill states, immunities to certain attacks, any line type you need, any sector type you need, any colormap you need, four armor types, easy to edit scripts, weapon reloads after it empties its clip, and that’s not all. Edge may run slow, but it still has GREAT potential.

DAMN STRAIGHT! edge can do a lot of the stuff that the guy said zdoom can, if not easier to script and if not more stuff. But what Carnage said is not it: he forgot custom attacks, as many sounds as you wish(see, that's the thing about EDGE- as many this or that as you want, all varying in their own specific way), bullet casings, unlimited frames for guns, enemies, sounds, blah blah blah. E-mail me if you want the full list of HOW EDGE STANDS OUT FROM DOOM AND ITS SOURCEPORTS.

Huh, I did not read the second thread, I thought it were more or less the same. Sorry :)
Great, make it - and I think there are many people here who would gladly help you. I would do - but I am not very experienced in designing wads, but I am sure you will get a very good team here.

And then it came to my mind, that there are also fragments real historical events and characters in Wolfenstein3D. The difference is that in Wolf3D and WoolfenDoom this connection to real history was mixed up with science fiction. Plus there is not the actuality of events like we are confronted with today.

Anyway, supercool, I am happy that there is a new Doom TC in the making :)

Will visit your site.

Ok, so these example TC's are not appropriate then?

School themed (whether it be shooting it up or defending classmates)
Current Events (IE the a Doom mod with Palestineans and Israelis)
Terrorist stuff (IE be the Al-Qeida or other terrorist groups)
Any other "controversial" TC ideas.

Hmm, makes sence to me! Although I can see someone making a TC of the first idea, I just hope no one is actually gonna make a TC based on the last two ideas. It would be, weird...

Nick,
It sounds like you really know what you are doing. I think that if you have an idea you should go with it. Only a fool takes all advice that is given to him but a fool doesn’t consider the advice either. I am no veteran but I think that you should start your game the way you envisioned it and let it evolve from there. That may be what you were going to do anyway and if you were than I say good luck and I hope it works out for you. There is nothing sadder that to see a TC die because the creator(s) had no support. I’m sure you will find people to back you up when you get some demos for the doomers to play. At first I was skeptical but after thinking about it I don’t think you should change your project to much just because some of us told you to. I think it would be boring to have all of the TCs to be the same. I still don’t like the idea that the game is or was going to be about the Israeli special forces but tough shit for guys like me. Go with it and you are sure to have support if you are persistent enough. :)

Nick Perrin said:

actually, bullet casings are not viable
in Zdoom, although you can make it appear so
as just an image that is part of the weapon
sprite.

Have you even PLAYED Immoral Conduct Dehacked, or are you just making shit up as you go along?

The assault rifle in IC fires out shell-casings as it shoots out bullets.

Trasher][ said:
Have you even PLAYED Immoral Conduct Dehacked, or are you just making shit up as you go along?

The assault rifle in IC fires out shell-casings as it shoots out bullets.

Okay, smart person. Glad you're so smart. A few questions to test if casings really do work in zdoom:

1. First, after shooting the shot and watching the casing go, look in the direction that the casing flies. Do you see it go flying around, bounce a couple times, and then stop on the ground? let off about 30 shots rapid-fire, and use mouse-look at the ground. do you see any casings?

2. I know that casings do not fly in ICD. First of all, dehacked is not capable of this. Second, check the frames in ICD with wintex. do you see any casing sprites? No. The casings are just part of the weapon sprite to make it appear as if the casings are actually there.

3. E-mail Cory Whittle at cwhittle@isn.net and tell me. What does he say? He will confirm everything I just stated.

Cory Whittle knows how to make casings. But not in Zdoom. In EDGE.

Archaeo said:

Nick,
It sounds like you really know what you are doing. I think that if you have an idea you should go with it. Only a fool takes all advice that is given to him but a fool doesn’t consider the advice either. I am no veteran but I think that you should start your game the way you envisioned it and let it evolve from there. That may be what you were going to do anyway and if you were than I say good luck and I hope it works out for you. There is nothing sadder that to see a TC die because the creator(s) had no support. I’m sure you will find people to back you up when you get some demos for the doomers to play. At first I was skeptical but after thinking about it I don’t think you should change your project to much just because some of us told you to. I think it would be boring to have all of the TCs to be the same. I still don’t like the idea that the game is or was going to be about the Israeli special forces but tough shit for guys like me. Go with it and you are sure to have support if you are persistent enough. :)

I have recruited 2 team members, and maybe a 3rd, unsure at the time if he's going to join for sure. Of course, I could do the project with just me and someone else, but how hard would that be for a TC? And even though you have a point, so do the other people. It shouldn't be based around the Israeli Special Forces, which it no longer is. The TC, however, will still feature all the same stuff: gameplay, levels, worldwide missions, and high fun-factor. All excpet for the realism, which makes the game less fun so it's out. The game will still be more realistic than doom, obviously.

And in regards to the demo, it should be ready somewhat soon.

I would like to join this team. With my help, your tc may turn out just like the rest of mine!