Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you like the Joker?

The character not the movie (but you can talk about the movie if you wanna)
he's cool but saldy he overshadows all other batman villains and is overused to a point where nowadays many have Joker fatigue Dx

He's often shown as Batman's ultimate nemesis, kind of like Lex Luthor compared to Superman, a total opposite and perfect counterpart. I agree though, Joker is kind of over-used and villains are much cooler when it seems like they've been away for awhile thinking of their next evil plot. He's also reckless a lot of the time, which is a good balance between Bruce Wayne being a CEO and living a relatively orderly life in a mansion etc. I suppose the Joker is an easy character to write for, he's completely insane so there's not many limitations on what you can do there.

Danny DeVito as the Penguin is one of my favorite portrayals of a villain from Batman and would be hard for anyone else to match, but there's so many other characters they can choose from in the comics and animated series etc.

35 minutes ago, SOSU said:

he's cool but saldy he overshadows all other batman villains and is overused to a point where nowadays many have Joker fatigue Dx

You can say that again.

I like the Joker but I've had enough of seeing him everytime Batman shows up. He's overshadowing the other villains for sure.

35 minutes ago, seed said:

You can say that again.

Okay :)

Batman has such a big rogues gallery you can do a whole show with just the obscure ones (Beware the Batman is that)

It's a real shame how those lads get never used (Like Iron Mans awesome rogues gallery which never gets used because it's not the cold war anymore and the REAL MANDARIN is too racist nowadays even though he hasn't been a chinese/mongolian caricature for decades now)

No. I mean, he's fun, but he just causes trouble for the hell of it, and he's overused all to hell. I'm sick to death of him, and I'm sick to death of Harley Quinn for that matter. I wish he would disappear like he did in the early seventies, and maybe stay gone for a few millennia.

Two-Face and Penguin are far more interesting to me. Penguin is an upper class gangster, one of the only Bat-rogues who goes to prison and not Arkham. He has high society AND underworld connections, and fancies big heists, and hides guns and shit in his umbrellas. He's got so many shades of Batman's non-superfoes, yet has all these odd quirks that make him stand out from guys like Rupert Thorne or Roland Daggett. That's cool. Two-Face has more depth than any Bat-villain in my opinion since he used to be Bruce's friend and an ally of batman, and a badass DA with a dark past he tried to keep under raps: possibly abused as a kid, leading to onset multiple personality disorder when his face was scarred, the straw that finally broke his psychological camel's back. The guy's a total lunatic, but he has a strong connection to Batman that makes the Dark Knight want to help him, and makes him reluctant to fight him.

That's not to say I don't love Cesar Romero or Mark Hamill in the role.

I think he's an excellent character but he's definitely getting overused at this point. There have now been at least 5 or 6 different actors portraying the character in big-budget movies/shows, just in my short lifetime - That's total friggin' overkill. The funny thing is, the only one I thought was bad was Leto, and he wasn't actually bad, he was just going up against some serious acting titans and was doomed to being in what was already a crappy film. He's a good actor and he's done really well in other roles.

I hope the Joker gets at least 5 years of time off after this, possibly more. Other Batman villains deserve more time, and the existing Joker portrayals aren't even getting any time to sit with us before yet another one comes along! Oh yeah, Harley Quinn is pretty played out at this point as well.