Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

We Need to Preserve the Vanilla Quake Experience

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

I agree with the principle but are you sure you are on the right website? Isn't there a "Quake community" somewhere?

I did post this on quakeone.com, but I wanted to put it here too so that word gets around a bit more.

doombutalsoquakeworld.com

might as well absorb our slipgate rocket jumping shambler slaying brothers at some point

How do you know the tall pixels are the intended ones? It's pretty clear with Doom, since 320x200 was the only supported resolution, but as your own screenshots shows Quake supported a ton of different resolutions. Looking at round shapes in the textures there is no consistency. Some are very clearly designed with 1.2 tall pixels in mid, others are not.

It is possible to render with tall pixels without changing the aspect of the underlying scene. Doom stretched both together but I don't think Quake did.

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

doombutalsoquakeworld.com

might as well absorb our slipgate rocket jumping shambler slaying brothers at some point

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED 

I have a CD copy of Quake 1. I'm pretty sure it's preserved. Do you want me to put it in a museum with a 486 PC?

7 hours ago, boris said:

How do you know the tall pixels are the intended ones? It's pretty clear with Doom, since 320x200 was the only supported resolution, but as your own screenshots shows Quake supported a ton of different resolutions. Looking at round shapes in the textures there is no consistency. Some are very clearly designed with 1.2 tall pixels in mid, others are not.

Look at the Quake logo in the 200p screenshot. It it's more proportionally accurate to the actual logo. Also, same with the id software logo.

In the game all is fine, but applying scaling to the HUD was simply not an option when Quake was released, i.e it looks really bad to scale from 640x400 to 640x480 without some sort of compensation like texture filtering or alternative assets.

The scaling factor for a HUD is normally small, so you end up with different pixel proportions which makes the whole thing very uneven.

Once you reach 5-6x the original asset size on your display, i.e. full HD monitors, it will no longer distract but on anything smaller it'd look bad, unless you apply texture filtering.

That's why ZDoom-based ports (and probably others as well) do not scale all 2D elements by this 1.2 factor, in particular the fonts. When this code was written it wasn't an option and changing it now will cause its own share of problems because many mods were designed for a HUD with a 1:1 pixel ratio.

I don't want to be drawn into an argument over this but it seems clear the Quake menus and HUD are meant to be stretched vertically. The game runs in DOS at 320x200 VGA which means the artists were working in the same milieu as they had been for all their previous games and it is beyond dispute that they were aware of non square pixels. For further proof look at the menu itself:

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 5.56.04 AM.crushed.png

There's the id logo of course, which only looks correct with stretched pixels, but also notice the seemingly pointless graphic on the side has been drawn so that it precisely fits in the space above the full status bar. That is not an accident.

10 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

In the game all is fine, but applying scaling to the HUD was simply not an option when Quake was released, i.e it looks really bad to scale from 640x400 to 640x480 without some sort of compensation like texture filtering or alternative assets.

The scaling factor for a HUD is normally small, so you end up with different pixel proportions which makes the whole thing very uneven.

Once you reach 5-6x the original asset size on your display, i.e. full HD monitors, it will no longer distract but on anything smaller it'd look bad, unless you apply texture filtering.

That's why ZDoom-based ports (and probably others as well) do not scale all 2D elements by this 1.2 factor, in particular the fonts. When this code was written it wasn't an option and changing it now will cause its own share of problems because many mods were designed for a HUD with a 1:1 pixel ratio.

Quake was meant to be displayed on a CRT. The display would not scale from 640x400 to 640x480; it would run in 640x400 natively and draw 400 lines on your 4:3 monitor, and their wider spacing compared to 480 lines would "stretch" the "pixels". There are no pixels on a CRT, only lines.

Also I've been playing Quake in square pixel 4:3 for years and years and somehow never noticed this despite my familiarity with Doom and Wolfenstein. I've previously always played "low-res" Quake in 640x480, even in DOS. There exists a limit-removing DOS Quake called QDOS, but it is even less accessible than original DOS Quake and running modern maps will often demand more memory than the DOS allocator can deal with and crash the game.

Edited by Woolie Wool

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

I'd propose someone make a Chocolate Quake but isn't the game brown enough already?

*nudge-nudge* kek

....unless?

3 hours ago, fraggle said:

I'd propose someone make a Chocolate Quake but isn't the game brown enough already?

Cappuccino Quake? 

2 minutes ago, DoomedFox said:

Cappuccino Quake? 

There's already a map pack called Coffee Quake with a focus on vanilla style maps. Nice try though ;)

2 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

But why official WinQuake and GLQuake didn't support 640x400?

WinQuake does support 320x200 and 640x400 on some setups. But here's the thing. It doesn't correct the image to 4:3 on modern systems. However, it DOES correct it on Windows 9x versions. But there is no way to do it on modern Windows 10 hardware to my knowledge.

"vid_wait 1" (or a different value, can't remembrer very well) I remember fixing the weird speed issues I used to have with DOSBox Quake. As I increased the cycles to make the game run smooth, the game would start skipping or running too fast. Maybe you're talking about a different issue though.

I'm all for preservation and redundancy of games. it's surprising how easily data can be lost. there are popular games for which we don't have the source code, in fact, the Prince of Persia source code was only recently rediscovered on floppy disks buried in a closet somewhere.