Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoDOOManiac

So Doom 7.0.0 (August 26, 2023) - quadruple resolution, so polished fork of Crispy Doom

1 hour ago, Heck Yeah said:

Understood. Read the article btw

Alright, thank you and sorry for assuming you didn't read it. I was just confused that you still asked for the reject overflow as something that needs to get "fixed", whereas it is really just the emulation of an out-of-bounds memory read. 

6 hours ago, fabian said:

Alright, thank you and sorry for assuming you didn't read it. I was just confused that you still asked for the reject overflow as something that needs to get "fixed", whereas it is really just the emulation of an out-of-bounds memory read. 

👍👍👍👌.

No need to say sorry lmao.🤣

Edited by Heck Yeah : I don't know

On 8/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, SoDOOManiac said:

I will look into it :)

Did you saw it ? Will you add this option of 'Smart Totals' ? Tell me your opinions. My intention is not to trouble/irritate you btw.

6 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

Did you saw it ? Will you add this option of 'Smart Totals' ? Tell me your opinions. My intention is not to trouble/irritate you btw.

I am willing to add it, I'm currently busy with some IRL stuff, but when I have time to read the Git logs for PrBoom+ and Crispy (which doesn't count Lost Souls in the kill counter since 3.1 released on November 3, 2015) I will implement an option to remove extrakills from the level stats.

I appreciate suggestions, feel free to post more here.

50 minutes ago, SoDOOManiac said:

I am willing to add it, I'm currently busy with some IRL stuff, but when I have time to read the Git logs for PrBoom+ and Crispy (which doesn't count Lost Souls in the kill counter since 3.1 released on November 3, 2015) I will implement an option to remove extrakills from the level stats.

I appreciate suggestions, feel free to post more here.

Also please provide an option, in the SoDoomy menu to not count the resurrected monsters by Archvile nor the spawning enemies from Icon of Sin as well.

Thanks.🙏

5 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

Also please provide an option, in the SoDoomy menu to not count the resurrected monsters by Archvile nor the spawning enemies from Icon of Sin as well.

Thanks.🙏

Currently I've done a basic implementation in Navigational sub-menu that toggles counting the resurrected/IoS-spawned/Nightmare-respawned enemies. Lost Souls are currently not counted at all, either ones present in the level from the start or those spawned by pain elementals.

This approach seems to be the same as the one in PrBoom+.

Do you wish it to be implemented like that?

If yes, all what remains to me is to figure out how to count end-of-level tally with or without the extrakills. This turned out to be not so evident, regardless of the crispy->smarttotals setting I get all the kills counted at the intermission screen.

9 hours ago, SoDOOManiac said:

Currently I've done a basic implementation in Navigational sub-menu that toggles counting the resurrected/IoS-spawned/Nightmare-respawned enemies. Lost Souls are currently not counted at all, either ones present in the level from the start or those spawned by pain elementals.

This approach seems to be the same as the one in PrBoom+.

Do you wish it to be implemented like that?

Yes. Just like that!

9 hours ago, SoDOOManiac said:

If yes, all what remains to me is to figure out how to count end-of-level tally with or without the extrakills. This turned out to be not so evident, regardless of the crispy->smarttotals setting I get all the kills counted at the intermission screen.

In my opinion, keep the info of intermission screen like Crispy. Percentages of kills can go above 100%, meaning death of all monsters in the level+ ressurected monsters/IOS spawned/Nightmare spawned.

1 hour ago, SoDOOManiac said:

Enjoy the pre-release. For 5.10.0 release I will update the codebase from Crispy up to its 5.10.0.

DOOM0004.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nP5DWnylTtcOdpvyxCsFhytljq2qi7EW/view?usp=drivesdk

If you see this map above there is a chaingunner and an archvile in a small sector surrounded by monster blocking linedefs.

When we grab the SSG and invulnerability, and after killing the chaingunner, the kill count becomes 1/2, and when the chaingunner is ressurected, the kill count becomes 0/2.

This doesn't happen in Prb+, Smart Totals enabled, In it, even if any monster is resseructed innumerable times by an archie, the kill count remains same, neither increases nor decreases.

So, this is the only small issue in this Smart Totals. Hope that you fix it :)

Edited by Heck Yeah

4 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nP5DWnylTtcOdpvyxCsFhytljq2qi7EW/view?usp=drivesdk

If you see this map above there is a chaingunner and an archvile in a small sector surrounded by monster blocking linedefs.

When we grab the SSG and invulnerability, and after killing the chaingunner, the kill count becomes 1/2, and when the chaingunner is ressurected, the kill count becomes 0/2.

This doesn't happen in Prb+, Smart Totals enabled, In it, even if any monster is resseructed innumerable times by an archie, the kill count remains same, neither increases nor decreases.

So, this is the only small issue in this Smart Totals. Hope that you fix it :)

I have realized what the problem is, it's not as simple as I thought.

The variable called 'extrakills' is strictly kind of 'extraspawns', so what I currently do (subtract the 'extrakills' from plr->killcount) is insufficient: if the monster is IoS-spawned/respawned/resurrected but has not been killed yet, it gets subtracted from the kill count with 'smart totals' while it shouldn't.

I'll have to figure out the solution for that.

1 hour ago, SoDOOManiac said:

I have realized what the problem is, it's not as simple as I thought.

The variable called 'extrakills' is strictly kind of 'extraspawns', so what I currently do (subtract the 'extrakills' from plr->killcount) is insufficient: if the monster is IoS-spawned/respawned/resurrected but has not been killed yet, it gets subtracted from the kill count with 'smart totals' while it shouldn't.

I'll have to figure out the solution for that.

Ok boss! Notify me when the issue is solved.

22 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

Ok boss! Notify me when the issue is solved.

I tried to solve the problem yesterday, but my fix still doesn't work, so I asked @fabian on Github :)

On 8/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, SoDOOManiac said:

I tried to solve the problem yesterday, but my fix still doesn't work, so I asked @fabian on Github :)

Ok..👍🏻

So Doom 5.10.0 has been released on Aug 24, 2022 to introduce the PrBoom+'s Smart Totals setting subtracting the extra spawned/respawned/resurrected monsters and their kills from the automap level stats.

So Doom-specific changes

• "Smart Totals" setting subtracting the extra spawned/respawned/resurrected monsters and their kills from the automap level stats has been implemented, requested by @Heck Yeah at Doomworld forums.

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom

New features and improvements

• Proper support for widescreen assets has been added (by @SmileTheory, thanks @ghost and @chungy).
  • The bezel bottom edge to the left and right of the status bar in widescreen mode is now preserved (thanks braders1986 and @SmileTheory).
  • Special treatment is now applied to the No Rest for the Living and The Masterlevels expansions - even during network games, demo recording and playback. This includes level transitions to the secret maps and back, finale text screens, par times, etc. (thanks Coincident and Keyboard_Doomer for input from the DSDA community).
  • Menu scrolling with the mouse wheel has been improved to be more responsive (by @JNechaevsky).
  • All textures are now always composed, whether they are multi-patched or not. Furthermore, two separate composites are created, one for opaque and one for translucent mid-textures on 2S walls. Additionally, textures may now be arbitrarily tall.
  • Freedoom Phase 2 and FreeDM are now explicitly named in the Doom 2 Episode menu.
  • The status bar is now redrawn in the Main, Episode and Skill menus, where it could get overridden by custom graphics (thanks @JNechaevsky).

Bug fixes

• A crash has been fixed when the -record and -pistolstart parameters were used simultaneously (thanks Spie812).
  • An optimization inherited from MBF has been fixed which led to sprites not being rendered on the lowest possible floor (thanks @retro65).
  • Only non-sky flats are now checked for the swirling effect.
  • Crushed non-bleeding monsters are not removed off the map anymore, their sprites are replaced with the invisible SPR_TNT1 instead (thanks ZeroMaster010 and sorry for the desyncing demo).
  • Sigil is not auto-loaded anymore with the Freedoom Phase 1 IWAD, since Sigil's own texture definitions may clash with the ones from Freedoom (thanks @Some1NamedNate).
  • A brightmap definition for an animated flat sequence in HacX has been fixed.
  • Some fixes to the "--enable-truecolor" configure option have been implemented (i.e. the --disable-truecolor option, the rendering of the status bar bezel, fuzzy column drawing and the translucency factor - thanks xttl).
  • Window height adjustment when changing window size has been brought back at the cost of the window shrinking when repeatedly changing the widescreen option.
  • Parts of the status bar being visible during the initial wipe in widescreen mode has been fixed (thanks xttl).

DOOM0031.png

Edited by SoDOOManiac

Here's So Doom 5.10.1 pre-release compensating the lag behind Crispy codebase up to version 5.10.3 (the release will likely also be 5.10.3).

The most significant change is aspect ratio limiting, useful for insanely wide monitors, implemented in a slightly different way than in Crispy Doom.

DOOM0018.png

Edited by SoDOOManiac : Some details

Dear users of my port, I aim for maximum clarity of all the menu item descriptions and values.

If you like this wording change Widescreen Rendering -> Wide screen/c-thru HUD (as wide/compact/cockpit HUD are about the translucent HUD),

please give this message an INVUL like.

If you don't like it, feel free to give it an INVIS like.

UPD: feel free to try So-Doom_5.10.1++_pre-release.zip

5.10.1+.jpg

Edited by SoDOOManiac : Added another pre-release

So Doom 5.10.3 has been released on Sep 1, 2022.

Known Issues

• Free standalone IWAD version of REKKR (REKKRSA.WAD) doesn't run properly with the inner DEHACKED lump (i.e. so-doom -iwad rekkrsa.wad), it should be run with suppressing loading the internal DEH and loading the external REKKR.DEH (i.e. so-doom -iwad rekkrsa.wad -nodeh -deh rekkr.deh). You can get both the WAD and the DEH in this bundle with Chocolate Doom. The same issue is present in Crispy Doom 5.10.3 which So Doom 5.10.3 is based on.

So Doom-specific changes

• "Color Revealed Secrets" SoDOOMy setting has been changed to "Map Secrets" with expanded set of values: default (not mapping hidden lines or those without floor/ceiling level change), default + color revealed (colored mapping of revealed secrets' lines that are not hidden or without floor/ceiling level change), force (standard mapping of all seen lines of secret sectors) and force + color revealed (standard mapping of all seen lines of unrevealed secret sectors + green mapping of all revealed secret sectors' lines). Inspired by @Revae's REKKR total conversion for Ultimate Doom where most secret sector lines are labeled hidden.
  • Aspect ratio limit option has been introduced, working the same way as Crispy Doom but with more values. This should be useful for playing on really wide monitors with aspect ratios 18:9 and above. To add this option I had to unite the Rendering and Visual menu sections under one header.
  • Changed wording of widescreen rendering and see-through HUD combined option.

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom

New features and improvements

• The translucency map is now always recalculated and no more loaded from a file or lump.
  • Autoload directories are now also supported for "sideloaded" PWADs - i.e. nerve.wad, masterlevels.wad and sigil.wad (thanks @Raddatoons).
  • Smooth automap rotation and srolling have been implemented (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Autoload directories for PWADs are now supported (thanks @OpenRift412 for the suggestion and @rfomin for the prior implementation in Woof!).
  • Basic accessibility features have been added and can be toggled in the Accessibility menu of the setup tool:
  • Flickering Sector Lighting (disables sectors changing their light levels)
  • Weapon Flash Lighting (disables weapon flashes changing the ambient light levels)
  • Weapon Flash Sprite (disables rendering of weapon flashes sprites)
  • Palette Changes (disables palette changes upon damage, item pickup, or when wearing the radiation suit)
  • Invulnerability Colormap (disables colormap changes during invulnerability)
  • Some colored text has been reverted back to the pristine Vanilla experience. As a rule of thumb, UI that has been inherited from Vanilla does doesn't get any colorization anymore (thanks @OpenRift412).
  • Screenwidth values are now rounded down to the nearest multiple of 4 in hires mode, and up in lores mode. This makes sure we end up with a screenwidth of 852 px for a 16:9 ratio in hires mode, which is exact twice the width of the widescreen assets, and with a screenwidth of 428 px in lores mode, which is the next integer multiple of 4 (thanks @buvk).
  • A CMake toggle has been added for the truecolor mode (by @zx64).

Bug Fixes

• Rendered sector lightlevels are now saved in savegames if they are different from the logical lightlevels, fixing a regression intruduced with A11Y support (thanks Alaux).
  • The green color translation range has been fine-tuned so that light-blue isn't preferred over green anymore (thanks maxmanium).
  • The CMake build system has been updated for A11Y (thanks @vanfanel).
  • In NRFTL the TITLEPIC is only replaced with the INTERPIC if the former is from the IWAD (thanks @OpenRift412).
  • Overlaid automap remainings are now cleared from the demo loop (by @JNechaevsky).
  • Adjusting of the BLOCKMAP boundaries to match the Vanilla algorithm has been reverted. Although this was done in the Vanilla algorithm, it doesn't match what's done in the algorithms used by MBF and Boom - and thus PrBoom+ which uses the latter. This fixes sync for one demo reported by galileo31dos01 on 5L1C.wad MAP01.
  • The Compatibility menu has been removed from the setup tool, it is obsolete for all games now.
  • The translucency table is now always calculated at gamma level 0, fixing potentially incorrect entries (by @JNechaevsky).
  • The episode menu is now rendered with the HUD font if the graphics are both from an IWAD and if the patch width for "Hell on Earth" is longer than "No Rest for the Living" (thanks thanks @hackneyed-one).
  • Automap rotation variables are now properly initialized, preventing line shaking (by @JNechaevsky).
  • The weapon sprite coordinates now remain unchanged if neither variable bobbing nor weapon sprite centering is enabled. Coincidently, this will bring back the sloppy bobbing of the chainsaw weapon sprite during its idle frames.
  • Interpolation of the Archvile's fire sprite is now suppressed to mitigate it being spawned at the wrong location.
  • Status bar positioning, drawing of fullscreen patches and the bunny scroll screen have been fixed on big-endian systems.
  • The window height is now prevented from shrinking when changing widescreen modes.
  • The smooth automap lines features has been fixed for truecolor mode (by @zx64).

Crispy Heretic

• The -demoext parameter (even though enabled by default) only applies to demos loaded on the command line.
  • Weapon pickup messages are now shown in cooperative multiplayer mode (by @xttl).
  • All Crispy Doom specific cheats have been ported over and adapted accordingly (by @xttl).
  • An Automap overlay mode has been added.
  • There are now separate mouse sensitivities for turn, strafe and y-axis.
  • Heretic now has a "demowarp" feature, i.e. support for using both -playdemo and -warp on the command line (thanks @thom-wye).

Crispy Hexen

• Hexen: Restore pointers to mobj_t with garbage identity as NULL pointers (by @Dasperal).

SoDoom_5.10.3_release_pic.png

Edited by SoDOOManiac : removed special lines mention

So Doom 5.12.0 has been re-released with some updates on Dec 26, 2022.

The aim of this release is to update the port with all the improvements of Crispy Doom code base while keeping the features that were removed from Crispy (squat weapon down on landing from height, weapon recoil thrust, aspect ratio limitation option for pixel aspect ratio = 1, i.e. square pixels).

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom (most notable ones)

• Changing settings in SoDOOMy menu with left/right arrow keys has been implemented by Michael Day.
  • Default difficulty feature has been added by Philip K.
  • Support of REKKRSA.wad and REKKRSL.wad (Sunken Land, Steam edition) IWADs has been implemented, now Crispy and So Doom always attempt to load the DEHACKED lump from the IWADs.
  • By hitting Multiplayer spy key you now get full point of view of the player whose gameplay you're watching, i.e. produced and heard sound positions and status bar with respective status face background color.
  • LETITSNOW cheat code, merry Christmas!

DOOM0049.png

Edited by SoDOOManiac : Re-release with some updates

2 hours ago, SoDOOManiac said:

So Doom 5.12.0 has been released on Dec 22, 2022.

The aim of this release is to update the port with all the improvements of Crispy Doom code base while keeping the features that were removed from Crispy
(squat weapon down on landing from height, weapon recoil thrust, aspect ratio limitation option for pixel aspect ratio = 1, i.e. square pixels).

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom (most notable ones)

• Support of REKKRSA.wad and REKKRSL.wad (Sunken Land, Steam edition) IWADs has been implemented, now Crispy and So Doom always attempt to load the DEHACKED lump from the IWADs.
  • By hitting Multiplayer spy key you now get full point of view of the player whose gameplay you're watching, i.e. produced and heard sound positions and status bar with respective status face background color.
  • LETITSNOW cheat code, merry Christmas!

DOOM0049.png

And a happy new year!

So Doom 5.12.1 has been released on Jan 31, 2023.

The most important changes in this release are performance optimizations (visplane hash, drawsegs optimizations, sprite sorting) from Boom family ports originally by Lee Killough, thanks to @Julia Nechaevskaya for sharing the experience of porting them.

So Doom-specific changes:

• Fixed a bug of level stats not displayed, brought when merging Crispy codebase.
  • Visplane hash improving the performance at critical vistas of Sunder.wad MAP15 up to 500% speed improvement (from 10 to 60 fps!)
  • DRAWSEGS optimization (~12% of speed improvement on epic.wad MAP05, ~13% of speed improvement on Sunder.wad MAP10)
  • Sprite sorting (~23% of speed improvement on nuts.wad)
  • Fast framerate menu item now comprises the vsync setting (totally uncapped framerate is now with crispy->uncapped 1 or 2 with FPS limit set to 0).
  • Screen wipe is now optional.

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom (most notable ones):

• FPS limit menu item has been implemented.
  • LETITSNOW cheat is now a harmless one like SHOWFPS.
  • 5.12.1 is the first So Doom version to feature a 64-bit release.

So Doom 5.12.1 32-bit version

So Doom 5.12.1 64-bit version

so_doom_5_12.1_release.jpg.d3f0d55916b451572ccf1a7c3dc79a74.jpg

Edited by SoDOOManiac : Link fix

I had forgotten. Do the Boom performance optimizations cause any incompatibilities with vanilla doom wads or...?

2 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

I had forgotten. Do the Boom performance optimizations cause any incompatibilities with vanilla doom wads or...?

I'm not the one who knows for sure but logically if they did, it would be a bug.

Boom's optimized functions are meant to do the same job as the original ones without any deterioration.

6 hours ago, nickxcom said:

Another great source port to add to the collection! Good work @SoDOOManiac. Played through the first five levels of Jamal Jones and I'm impressed.

Thank you for the kind words!

Posting the link to GitHub page with README just in case, so that the new players can familiarize themselves with key bindings, command line parameters and cheat codes that were not present in Vanilla Doom.