Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megalyth

Making maps with Max

My son is getting half-decent at level design, making his own Jetpack and Commander Keen levels with no input from me. Of course, designing Doom levels requires a much different approach, but why not give this a try with my little buddy.

God help us all, I have a sadist on my hands.

So naturally, I did most of the actual design, but under the direction and scrutiny of a four year old kid who loves revenants and cyberdemons.

This was an interesting exercise in speed-mapping. Nothing will hurry you along like a four year old pestering you. "The level is done let's play it daddy it looks amazing let's check it out arch-viles are your friends hell is a bad word daddy" and so on. Total build time is about 2.5 hours.

Good freaking luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b58fskiwfnthqv1/Max-The_Garden_of_Guns.wad

Really wasn't sure what to expect with this, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It's not a long map, but I had a lot of fun playing through it. The opening was pretty unexpected, but there's enough supplies/weapons provided to the player to make it entertaining, which can be said for the rest of the map. Would love to play more like this, honestly! If there's a Cacoward for the youngest map designer, I think your kid takes the cake. There's a bright future here. 

Decent little map.

I always enjoy making spider masterminds and cyberdemons infight, so that was a definite positive. 

Progression was a little confusing (I eventually realised that the switch past the red door opened up something in the initial room) - Maybe unleashing a few straggling monsters so the player knows that there is something in that direction.

Pretty solid little map though.