Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Is it Doomguy, Doom Marine or Doom Slayer?

All sound amazing but nobody has really gave the Doom man a name, so which is it?

I personally think Doomguy is the best sounding, I called him that as a kid so that's probably why.

It was Doomguy for Doom and Doom 2
It was Doom Marine in Doom 3
Now it's the Doom Slayer.
Now if you're asking which one is canon, then no clue, probably all of them.

It's one of those "all trucks are automobiles, but not all automobiles are trucks" kinda things for me.

All Doom Slayers are Doomguys, but not all Doomguys are Doom Slayers.

"Doomguy" is just a nickname made up by the Doom community, the marine in Classic Doom was never given a specific name because he was intended to be the player's avatar.

Doom Slayer was made for Doom 2016 though.

The vessel is of no consequence; the spirit of the Doomslayer taken residence within a chosen avatar is the embodiment of justice unleashed upon his demonic prey. That is the only thing necessary to know. It does not matter who is the BFG or who pulls the trigger. 

5 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Is OP a Bear, Detective or Boy with too many questions?

Hey, he is just asking and he has just joined.

Anyone who thinks Doomguy and Doom Slayer aren’t literally the same guy let me know so we can have a fist fight and settle this like men

For me, Doomguy for the Marine from the classic Doom games, Doom Marine for the D3 guy, and Doom Slayer for the D2016-Eternal guy. Doomguy and Doom Slayer are the same in my book, the D3 Marine absolutely isn't.

The UAC refers to him as both Doom Marine and The Slayer in Doom 2016. Also I remember when the official Doom pages kept calling him Doom Marine and commenters were like: "He's Doomguy! who's this Doom Marine?!?" whether they were joking or not I couldn't tell. It's all the same to me, regardless of whether or not it's the same person. In general I just use Doomguy to refer to the protagonist.

Edited by tempdecal.wad

Doom 3 has like three different Doomguys, because the one from the main campaign is not the same as the one from Resurrection of Evil, and it's a third who's in the Lost Mission.

The best way to look at it, IMO, is that Classic Doomguy is not the Doom Slayer. But the Doom Slayer, somehow, is all the Doomguys at once. It's a one-way-only relationship.

Space Marine, or simply Marine. Even Doom 2016 suggest this.

Doomguy is technically correct. Why???

My mother language is Spanish and I used to call him "El Ruso/That Russian guy" or "El hombre de Doom, El de Doom" which means basically Doomguy.

This is the name all Doomers pronounce in any language. Except in Chinese as Doomwiki.org states, hehehe.

Doom Marine is a name that appeared circa Doom 3 era, both Id's and Doom RPG's webpage suggested this name stating in Doom RPG you reprise the Doom Marine again from Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3.

Doom Slayer is a demon-term for the Doomed Space Marine, they (demons) baptized Doomguy with this term, that the UAC doesn't know yet... only you who have heard it from the stones from Hell.

In Doom Eternal , The UAC now calls him "Slayer" using the same formula as "Terror Billy" in Wolf TNC that never appered in Wolf TNO. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Personally, I call him William Blazkowicz (Classic Doom) John "Juanito" Kane based on the D3 novels (Doom3) sometimes...

Edited by Gerardo194

At this stage I use them all interchangeably. But I reckon we will find out in Eternal its all the same dude.

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

But I reckon we will find out in Eternal its all the same dude.

IMHO, this would be the most silly thing that could happen... why??

Hugo said we will find out if Doom Slayer is the same and the one from the classic games or not... to me what he said was silly.

Let's imagine four different timelines of our reality where Doom Eternal was released and Doomers are expecting these results:

1st timeline: "He is Doomguy"

2nd timeline: "He is not Doomguy"

3rd timeline: "I knew from the beginning he was Doomguy"

4th timeline: "I knew from the beginning he wasn't Doomguy"

Now the question is: Who will win, who will lose in our reality?

If 1st and 3rd timelines won, 2nd and 4th would be pissed off.

If 2nd and 4th won, 1st and 3rd would be very disappointed.

Others are expecting the Doom Slayer to be the Betrayer, Doom64 canon, Doom Slayer to be a completely new character, Doom Slayer to be from Argent D'Nur (Eternal now has came up with Sentinels Homeworld, so...), Martian Warrior from Doom 3, etc.

We all know that there are Doomers out there expecting for one of these aforementioned results...

Spoiler

There's no need to clarify this, You the player, Doomguy's avatar, the only flesh and blood that walked between dimensions (official, pwads and mods) know Doom Slayer is the main Doomguy from the Doom games. Classic and D3 references in Doom 2016 are proof of it. 

I explained something similar in an old thread here about Doomer's generations...

3 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

My mother language is Spanish and I used to call him "El Ruso/That Russian guy"
[...]

Personally, I call him William Blazkowicz (Classic Doom) John "Juanito" Kane based on the D3 novels (Doom3) sometimes...

Blazkowicz is a Polish name, not a Russian one. And the Blazkowicz family from Wolf 3D is supposed to be American anyway.

According to Quake 3 Arena's manual, it's just Doom.   And there's Crash and Phobos.  But that's confusing AF to have a space marine named Phobos on Phobos.

Quake 1 guy is called Ranger.   Then there's another Quake 1 guy in Q3 called Wrack.

Quake 2 people according to Q3 are Private Nathan Grunt and Major Wayland (female).

These two I'm not sure if they were in Q2 or just made up for Q3:

Bitterman - hero of Strogg War but transformed by experiments while captive.

Tankjr - spawn of a human Tank Commander and an Iron Maiden of Stroggos.

16 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

What about Quakeguy? What the hell was his name

He is you. As is doomguy. Ranger et Al are quake 3 made nicknames and aren't in the original games.

Patch is correct. In the lore of classic doom, doomguy has no official moniker. The manual refers to you as a space marine, nothing more. In doom 3, some characters call you marine. Doomguy and doom marine are community created monikers for convenience so whichever term you like is accurate.

Only doom 2016 gives the player a moniker of sorts but it's still not an actual name like John or BJ. He is still "you".

The novels I do not believe are considered official cannon.

Personally I believe the doom Slayer is the original doomguy and that doom 2016 are an alternate universe. Hell I believe has different properties to regular dimensions so after doom 64 he didn't age, didn't get hungry etc. But then Hayden calls on him because, as the bot himself says, you've played this game before. That's my take anyway. Will be interesting to see what eternal brings lore wise.

Edited by Murdoch