Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Is it Doomguy, Doom Marine or Doom Slayer?

My take is:

Doomguy – Doom 1 & Doom 2

Doom Marine – Doom 3

Doom Slayer – Doom 2k16 & 2020

I'm gonna be honest I don't really like the name "doom slayer" i think it's kind of trying too hard. Do you know what I mean? Doom slayer makes him seem like some all powerful tough guy, but I prefer to think of him as just some random guy. Hence "doomguy." Doom slayer just seems like it's taking itself too seriously.

...In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of Armageddon, his soul blistered by the fires of Hell and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Umbral Plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the crown of the Night Sentinels, and those that tasted the bite of his sword named him... the Doom Slayer.

This it's too epic to ignore, so from DOOM to Eternal it's the Doom Slayer.

The Doomguy from the original games is apparently now the Doom Marine, as Doom Eternal pre-order bonuses talk about a "retro-inspired DOOM Marine skin". Also the Doom Slayer in Doom 2016 was referred to pre-release as the "DOOM Marine". Odd!

Of course, in reality, Doomguy is a personality-free self-insert, as admitted by id Software at the time, so anything else is a retcon.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:27 PM, doomsucksass said:

Our hero.... (or Flynn Taggart)

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Buddy Dacote

Flynn Taggart, Buddy Dacote, John Kane, John Grimm, John Stalven, William Blazkowicz, whatever... They are all the same.

16 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

I'm gonna be honest I don't really like the name "doom slayer" i think it's kind of trying too hard. Do you know what I mean? Doom slayer makes him seem like some all powerful tough guy, but I prefer to think of him as just some random guy. Hence "doomguy." Doom slayer just seems like it's taking itself too seriously.

Actually, DOOM Slayer means: "He who has killed all Doom games, He who wasn't contained in Hell"

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

You all are forgetting about Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3! (PC version only)

DOOMGUYProSkater.jpg

I like how Doom Guy has max speed but terrible stats for everything airborne.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:50 AM, Zulk RS said:

Actually it's Flynn Taggart.

only if you're playing the Call of DOOty mod by Chubzdoomer.

The name Flynn Taggart from the laughably bad novelization where it turns out that the demons are actually aliens cosplaying as demons. The only reason I can see for that name being semi-popular in the community is that it's the oldest semi-official source that gave a name to Doom's protagonist.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:57 AM, Gokuma said:

Bitterman - hero of Strogg War but transformed by experiments while captive.

Bitterman is the protagonist of the original Q2 campaign.  If you look close at the various landing pods that the marines were dropped in, they all have different names/callsigns on them (some of them are easter eggs like "Willits") and yours is "Bitterman".  It's also shown/voiced in the intro cinematic if you pay close attention.  I'm not sure where the transformed while captive bit comes in but the ending of Q2 does show that you crash back on Stroggos after killing the Makron and implies that you maybe die (or get captured afterwards, I guess).  Interesting that that concept existed before Q4, I had forgotten that.

Doomguy across the board. I am of the opinion that anyone who calls Doomguy anything other than Doomguy have only played Doom 2016.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, Zulk RS said:

Actually it's Flynn Taggart.

That is a name given to the main character of the terrible Doom novels. As I said earlier in the thread, in the original game at the time it was released, "Doomguy" is you.

While it is fun to speculate, really over analyzing Doom lore is an exercise in pointlessness because it is clear no one at id gave much of a damn until Doom 2016 and Doom 3 was a self-contained reboot. Doom Eternal looks like it may have a big overarching story which ties all the threads together as best as it can. It will interesting to see.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, incel said:

My take is:

Doomguy – Doom 1 & Doom 2

Doom Marine – Doom 3

Doom Slayer – Doom 2k16 & 2020

This ...

In the known DooM history on this planet this must be the correctest counted sequel in order off apereance ever posted!

On 11/24/2019 at 3:30 PM, Gez said:

The name Flynn Taggart from the laughably bad novelization where it turns out that the demons are actually aliens cosplaying as demons. The only reason I can see for that name being semi-popular in the community is that it's the oldest semi-official source that gave a name to Doom's protagonist.

The keycards, Taggart. Tell us what they mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA

On 10/12/2019 at 1:07 AM, wolfmcbeard said:

It was Doomguy for Doom and Doom 2
It was Doom Marine in Doom 3
Now it's the Doom Slayer.
Now if you're asking which one is canon, then no clue, probably all of them.

3 was a reboot and the new ones are a reboot, they all have their own cannon