Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Whats your favourite music genre?

If it's weird, extremely fast, extremely noisy, chaotic or if it blows out your woofers if you play it too loud, I'll like it.

Death metal, grindcore, jazz, drum'n'bass, hiphop with a hardcore beat, synthwave, composer music/contemporary "classical", harsh noise, breakcore, it's all good.

I'm not sure what the genre is when you combine an R&B singer, Jazz drummer, Motown bassist/Classical keyboardist and a Blues guitarist, but I like it...

Nineties Industrial Metal or trashy teen pop sang by 30+ year olds. They both have enough synth to deafen a horse.

Extreme metal, particularly black, but besides that I also like dark ambient, dungeon synth, folk/celtic music, (neo)classical, and -wave stuff.

Mostly stuff on the Rock or Metal end of the spectrum, but I'm not picky. A good song is a good song. To my ears, that can be achieved in many ways, sometimes through traditionally pleasant-sounding melodies and other times through interesting/abstract/unexpected means. Different rhythms and scales can create such vastly different vibes that are all appealing to me. I love the sound of "destruction" that would accurately describe a lot of death metal, but I also love the sound of "paradise" as found in a song like Peaches en Regalia, and many many things in between.

The only music I find kind of annoying is traditionally described as "bubble gum", but even some of that sounds nice to me, like early Beatles songs. A lot of the modern poppy-type stuff kinda annoys me too, the little repetitive electro-beats for lack of a better term, but again I don't like dismissing it because some of it sounds genuinely great.

Basically, if it has a sound that would be fitting for a bunch of pink unicorns happily jumping around, or if it has a sound that for some reason strikes me as "fake" or "done for the money" or whatever else, that kinda annoys me and I usually don't like it. This makes up one small piece of the music pie as far as I can tell, though, and even then there are exceptions. People who passionately hate certain types of music baffle me.

7 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Hard EBM / Electro-Industrial / Aggrotech, Rhythmic / power noise, Industrial metal, Witch house, Synthwave.

Ooooh yes, Witch house.

I guess it would be rock, hip-hop, and electronic in the most general sense. These terms almost seem silly now because there are so many sub-genres. Subtypes are good for identification purposes, and also a potential source of jokes. I only listen to Downtempo Post-Apocalyptic DIY Jazzcore remixes, personally.

WARNING: Rant ahead - 

Spoiler

I've always had a very random musical taste so to choose a genre seems strange. I remember as a toddler listening to records with giant headphones, and apart from the children's albums I had, the Prince song "Rasberry Beret" was the first one I recall wanting to listen to repeatedly. Then I was raised up on the Beatles when I was shown how to play 45's on a normal record player. Some of the bands I was exposed to early on were artists like the Bee Gees, Doobie Brothers, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen. First and foremost I'm attracted to the percussive elements of music, even if drums are entirely absent. The interplay of beat vs. melody and the potential for music to describe a wide variety of emotion has always attracted me. I like bands that can do heavy and soft music, both catchy jamz as well as more melodic ambient pieces. The first music I bought for myself when I was young consisted of 2 cd's - Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" and "Totally Krossed Out" the album with that "Kris Kross'll make you jump" song. The first mixtape I ever made was choice songs from my brother's Led Zeppelin albums. Bands like Zeppelin, Tool, Radiohead, the Tea Party, Smashing Pumpkins and the Flaming Lips have been hugely influential on me for their ability to perform a variety of styles.

I grew up alongside hip-hop as well, so some of my favorite music to this day is rap/hiphop stuff. Eventually punk, metal and industrial were my favorites for many years, but this phase largely ended in the early 2000's when I was shown electronic music by an old friend. I knew of "dance" and "techno" or whatever, but this individual introduced me to the likes of Aphex twin etc. which opened up my perception of what electronica could be. Around this time my brother also went off on his own wacky tangent, listening to a lot of Portishead, Bjork and Massive Attack, stuff like that. 

Nowadays I'll play a 3 minute pop song by a relatively new band just as likely as I'll listen to one of Basinski's 60 minute disintegration loops. I've noticed a lot of the stuff I like now is labelled "experimental" by journalists, even though the bands themselves, when interviewed, say that it takes a lot of effort to appear so improvisational. What I listen to all depends on how I'm feeling at the time of course, so it might be French House music, Dub Reggae the next thing or maybe orchestral ambient rock from Iceland. It's tough to say.

I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music. But most of the time I listen to Classical music, Metal or anime music of all things. (terrible, shameful I know)

Although heavy metal was my earliest musical obsession, and certainly the aesthetic I stuck with, being the cringe edgelord I am.

p-funk   <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
prog rock

zeuhl!
post-punk and industrial
real slow metal and sludge

cute noisy indie

ambient electro IDM warp scener stuff, kinda

chiptune and game OST on teh pc opl/c64/st/amiga side