Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

"Block sound" not working?

Question

So I switched from DB2 to GZDB and found that there's a "block sound" option, which would be super useful - if it worked. It doesn't for me. Is it because I use the vanilla D2 map format? Or am I doing something wrong? I simply choose linedefs and mark "block sound", but even when I block every entrance to a room and shoot outside, all monsters inside go crazy.

5 answers to this question

The block sound linedef flag was also in DB2 (in fact it has nothing to do with the editor, obviously), and it works. You're likely just using it wrong ;) It's no surprise, though, since it's not intuitive at all. First, it doesn't literally block sound, it just keeps monsters from hearing you (and wake up unless their ambush flag is set). Also monsters only won't hear you if there are two sound blocking lines between you and the monsters. If you go to Sound Propagaion Mode you'll see that sectors behind one sound blocking lines will be colored yellow, and only the sectors behind a second sound blocking line will be gray.

I've read somewhere that the 2 lines thing is here to provide a better sound propagation experience (so for example if you have 3 lines one before the other the monsters will wake up according to their distances from you and not all at the same time)

1 hour ago, Simomarchi said:

I've read somewhere that the 2 lines thing is here to provide a better sound propagation experience (so for example if you have 3 lines one before the other the monsters will wake up according to their distances from you and not all at the same time)

That's pretty much exactly what it's for. Doom2 MAP01 is a demonstration of this as it has sound-blocking lines down the hallway, where you are in the hallway changes which group of monsters wake up further down, without making the propagation effect abrupt.

Doom 2 MAP01 is also a good example about problems with the linedef flag and sound propagation. It's clearly intended for the monsters in the next room to not hear you when you shoot in the northern half of sector 1. The flag on linedef 190 is useless, though, since it completely (i.e. both sidedefs) belong to sector 1. Sound Propagation Mode in the DB2 successors makes is pretty easy to find out problems like that.