Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

19 minutes ago, Shanoa said:

Rented it on SNES when i was 8. That red cartridge was all too tantalizing.

THIS... I still have mine but some douche canoe spray-painted some black flecks onto it and it's no longer evil looking... haha.

Just now, Chewyninja69 said:

THIS... I still have mine but some douche canoe spray-painted some black flecks onto it and it's no longer evil looking... haha.

You can say your cartridge is a mix of DOOM and Killer Instinct cartridge in it's colour scheme then!

Just now, Shanoa said:

You can say your cartridge is a mix of DOOM and Killer Instinct cartridge in it's colour scheme then!

I wish. It just looks like a rejected Doom cartridge, unfortunately. 

I honestly wasn't a huge fan of shooters for several years, but DOOM kinda caught my eye in 2016. I watched a couple of Markiplier's videos on it, and I was just awe-struck by the amount of violence and how good the game looked. It was then that I realized that this was what I wanted in a shooter; no way in Hell was Call of Duty gonna fill up the amount of power I wanted to feel.

So, all year I was bugging my dad about it, and as luck would have it, I got it for my Xbox on my 16th birthday. I'm pretty sure he just wanted to get me to shut up.

During the following Winter Sale on Steam, I managed to get my hands on all the rest of the Doom games.

In 2017, my dad helped me put together a desktop gaming PC, and then I bought the reboot again on Steam for $15 during the summer sale ($15 for 16 hours of ripping and tearing? Why the fuck not!). And then I heard about the announcement of DOOM coming to the Nintendo Switch. I love the game to pieces, so now I own 3 copies of the same game, 1 of which I can literally play during school. 666/10, would buy for a 4th time

My dad then got my stepmom an original Xbox because of the game Intellivision Lives!, but it turns out it didn't have the IV game she wanted to play, so my dad gave it to me because if he knew anyone who likes old stuff and would know what to do with it, that'd be me.

So I now own Doom 3: Limited Collector's Edition and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil on the Xbox. And with those came The Ultimate Doom and Doom II, so now I own a game from '93 about 4 times (yes, I'd be willing to shell out $20 for the Collector's Edition of Ultimate Doom on Amazon).

when i was a little kid my parents apparently didn't have any trouble with their children playing violent shooter games. A bit amusing to me, since my parents are relatively conservative, but that doesn't really instantly mean they think video games are the devil.

I was too young to remember the specifics, though. All I can remember is that I never really found Doom that scary.

What do you remember when you played DOOM for the first time? let's talk about the first DOOM game you played and one memory when you played it.

here's mine:

when i was...like,4 years old my first DOOM game was DOOM64 ( i still have it on my old N64) and the pinky demon was really scary for me, until 3 years later (yeah it took me so long beat the game even playing in "be gentle" skill because i didn't get the controller pack and im always losing the passwords) when i reached map17:watch your step, i was like:

"OH MY GOD its that map from the gameplay demo"

like 10 minutes later at the end of the map, when the last demon died, a loud groar played and at this moment i paused the game because it made me jump, the TV volume was really high and i said "what was that?!", then i continued the game and explore the arena, weird footsteps filled the arena:

"bon-clang...bon-clang"

and i was wondering where it come from these sounds when suddenly:

-AAAAAAHHH-

i heard an explosion and the doomguy scream, my screen was filled in red, i could barely see what killed me, when my vision was clear i got shocked:

"I DIED IN ONE HIT!!??"

then i saw...it, THE CYBERDEMON or: 

"THE MONSTER FROM THE INTRO" the first time i saw him.

standing in the fog of the map, staring at me, pointing his rocket launcher at doomguy's dead body:

"IS HE THE FINAL BOSS OR SOMETHING? man the 15th map was unfair but this..."

i stared at him for 20 min wondering what the hell happened, everything happened very fast, i finally decided to restart the map and kill him, i died and restarted many times, a big bullet sponge, i was really scared i forgot i have the "car engine"(BFG 9000) so i killed him with rockets and super shotgun, the cyberdemon died, and i felt so tired, the battle finished at 9:00pm (it started at 4:00pm), i just pressed the exit switch:

"did i beat the game?"

stats screen:   N   O   "entering level 18:spawned fear"

"ok that's enough for today"

i turned off the N64 and took a long rest of the game and preparing my shotgun for more: RIPPING AND TEARING!

i love you DOOM64, my first doom and first game i ever played :)

Cfycy8C.jpg

"recreation" of the scene with the cyberdemon. i learned how to strafe at this point

F2LZDDE.png

I first saw Doom over a friend's shoulder as he played it not long after it's release. I was already well familiar with Wolfenstein, and was pretty blown away. I not long after found the shareware version on a magazine coverdisc - I want to say PC Review was the mag's name. A UK one I believe. I bought it as soon as I could. I ran the setup and tried to run the game but was disappointed to discover it would not run even though I had the required CPU and 4MB of RAM. Some time after, I discovered the F5 trick that bypassed the config.sys and autoexec.bat. With things like mouse drivers no longer being loaded, the more or less full 4MB was free and Doom ran. My cry of delight apparently nearly finished off our dog Ralph who was resting after being hit by a car - sorry Ralph :(

Well mine is a bit weird I guess? There was this series on Youtube I used to watch when I was a young lad it was called Creepy Bad Endings and while I was watching the playlist of the series I got onto the tenth video this was about DOOM's ending with daisy's head on a stick. Let's just say I couldn't sleep that night. But sooner or later I got DOOM 1 on the Xbox 360 and then finally on Steam... And now I like DOOM alot I guess.

I first saw Doom in 1995-1996, was watching my friend play it over his shoulder. I did not have my own computer at the time and would only see the game at his house, and we would visit their family rarely. I remember I had a dream about a Doom level, and I still remember some of the dream: I was that impressed with the game!

But I myself played it for the first time I think only in around 2001.

I first played the shareware version of Doom at my cousin's house. I remember the game looking dark, but kind of colorful at the same time. Not like cartoony like Wolfenstein 3D, but somewhat realistic. I don't really remember the level I played. I remember seeing some blue color (might have been a floor texture) and the sky texture.

I played it once my father let me try it, because I was no longer afraid of those demons

I remember I was 4 years old, so, doom bring me so many good memories, I only remember playing without enemies....

I watched my friend's older brother play e1m1 and die almost immediately.  It scared the shit out of me, especially the way that Doomguy's face went from wary to bloody.  As soon as I got home, I downloaded the shareware version.

Edited by Dirk

I first played doom64 when I was like... 7? I have no clue about my first thoughts on it. I do remember three or so years later when I played The Ultimate DooM on XBox 360 and I remember thinking it was awesome.

The first time I found out about Doom was when I was 5 or 6 years old, and I was watching navgtr's review of Toy Story on SNES. I liked to explore random parts of YouTube at the time, and I didn't really know any better, nor did I think that much about Doom's mentioning in the video at the time. Nowadays, I've realized that that section of the video was recorded in E1M4's maze.

This was the video in question. Doom gets mentioned at 2:39.

I was 12 and the palette was pale compared to the one I knew from “Heretic,” which was my first FPS ever. My first impression of “Doom 2” was actually so bad I didn’t return to it until I was 13, with Doom95 (640x480 helped a lot). Now, I don’t play “Heretic” any more, however I keep good memories.

For fun, here's a couple of mis-rememberings from experiencing Doom as a kid:

- When the game was first released, I remember watching over my dad's shoulder as he played the game. For some reason my brain "distinctly" remembers him playing through E4M6, but that's impossible because Ultimate Doom hadn't been released at that time.

- First time I played E1 myself (still a wee dude), I thought E1M7 had a fast-paced music track with hella drums. No idea how I got that impression but I was weirdly disappointed when I later replayed it and the music was just about the opposite of what I expected.

And now one I'm pretty sure i 'member correctly: kid-me also got a glimpse of Heretic E1M1 when someone was playing it once, and they were stuck on the opening room because they couldn't figure out where the yellow key was -- we all sucked at FPS's back then. :P

SNES Doom when I was like 13, rented it out so many times it probably would've been more sensible to just have bought it, and then Ultimate Doom when we got a computer with Windows 95.  Then Doom II, Final Doom, Doom di Doom Doom Doom 

I remember Imps creeping me the fuck out.  Actually, every new demon I encountered did that.  But I was like 9, so, whatever.

Would have been around late 1995, though it didn't start with Doom!

My earliest memory is actually of Wolf3D, but it became Doom very soon after - My brother, my dad and myself all huddled around an old PC in awe of how amazing the game looked. My dad laughed at the "Can I play, daddy?" skill level, I'll never forget that..

The very first Doom version I ever owned was the 1.666 shareware. The majority game never scared me in my single-digit years other than the hanging barons on Tower of Babel and of course the decapitated rabbit ending absolutely terrified me when I first saw it around age 7, but the entire game that aside was more just enthralling and atmospheric as opposed to flat out scary, even to my child brain.

I'll also never forget the joys of downloading WADs online around '97-'98 when dad bought me the Ultimate Doom with Doom95. Before that, I only had a Shareware CD and a bootleg copy of Doom2 that my brother had somehow acquired. There was something amazing to me about simply downloading and playing user made wads when I was a kid. I still love it of course, but back then it felt like discovering a whole new world or something.

Edit: The old PC I first played Wolf on was actually my uncles laptop at the time, a huge beige monstrosity. Even though I was just a babe I remember being obsessed at first sight, all I had seen before that was NES.

Edited by Doomkid

I'm kinda young so it wasn't too long ago, I had heard about Doom for a while in 6th grade(my family is full of nerds) but never got to play it until my absolute chad of a science teacher loaded it up on a few computers(I remember it was DosBox because of the window name) and let kids play a bit, around my turn it was E1M4, god that was so cool.

I remember watching my brother playing the shareware back in 1994. He wouldn't let me play it because he said I was too young (But just old enough that he allowed me to watch him play it). He made it to the second level when I had to go to bed. The next day, he was at the computer station and had completed most of the game.

When I first played doom, I remember having so much trouble getting the soulsphere in the command center. I must have saved and reloaded 30 times before I was able to hit the switch and get on the elevator in time.

I also remember killing myself with the rocket launcher so many times that I stopped using it for a time.

well we had a mac, it was a performa 6115 with a cdrom, and doom 2 was ported to the mac before ultimate doom was. my dad bought a bundle of marathon and doom2 from the macworld catalog we used to get in the mail every month. little did i know (i was 10 at the time), that at the last minute the mac port was delayed for almost a year. so i would come home from school every day looking for the box on the front porch. in retrospect, that year of waiting and hoping is probably why i love doom so much to this day. 

From my perspective, Doom just kind of came out of nowhere. I had played Wolf3d and my older brother would download games from BBS pages. As I recall the demo for Raptor: Call of the Shadows was 1.4 megs and took approximately 24 hours to download. (48k probably, 56 was a bit later) I played Doom shareware and then the full game, and I remember some of the changes that happened as it went through the different patches. In the earliest versions there was the swastika shaped sector that was later changed, my brother and I recognized it right away as a reference to Wolf3d and went on our way. When it was altered later, this was one of my first experiences with a game being changed after it was released - until then, this concept was foreign to me. 

The first thing I remember is the opening shot with the blue carpet, as it's been said before, this view establishes the capabilities of the engine right away, and I knew this would be a different beast than Wolf3d before it. When you go up the stairs to the left, the green armor is sitting on a small raised platform with scrolling textures on it - at first I thought the platform itself was actually rotating. The imp on the tower in the zig-zag nukage room was also a big mystery, only seeing the fireball at first I wondered to myself "what the hell is up there?"

Seeing the sky also stands out in my memory as others have said, the wide open outdoor areas were a relatively new concept and quite immersive at the time. Obviously I wouldn't have made it to episode 3 on my first time playing, but Mt. Erebus E3M6 is the first time I experienced what is now called "open world" gameplay - it was non-linear and different than anything that had come before - like hell's largest sandbox or something. 

1 hour ago, RomDump said:

When I first played doom, I remember having so much trouble getting the soulsphere in the command center. I must have saved and reloaded 30 times before I was able to hit the switch and get on the elevator in time.

LOL very relatable. I actually remember seeing my dad getting shitty with that spot since you have to walk back through that nukage tunnel to get out, he was practically dead by the end of it. It wasn't until replaying the original Doom in my teens that I realized you could just... Stand on the lift and simply press the switch while standing on it... That's a moment from years later I remember because I felt like such a moron for having struggled with it!

32 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

I remember some of the changes that happened as it went through the different patches. In the earliest versions there was the swastika shaped sector that was later changed, my brother and I recognized it right away as a reference to Wolf3d and went on our way. When it was altered later, this was one of my first experiences with a game being changed after it was released - until then, this concept was foreign to me.

I had a similar experience. When I first joined Doom Connector, I was still using the common 1.666 Doom 2 bootleg, but it was unknown to me that it was pirated at the time, so I couldn't join CSDoom/ZDaemon servers. Some kind soul, I think Doom Rampage most likely, sent me v1.9 which took over an hour on the shitternet of that era. It worked for online play so I was happy to have it, but the missing silver jail bars on Map02 led to me thinking that 1.9 was actually a bootleg version, so I kept using the shitty 1.666 bootleg for single player for at least a year or two after that. It didn't take that long for me to get further interested in Doomy stuff and eventually learn my original copy was the shittier version of the two. Why they removed those bars in Map02, we may never know.