Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

I Want To Finish This Map Very Badly

Hello, everybody. I am currently playing through AV, right now on Demonic Hordes, and have got almost every single thing done on this map, but there is a problem: a lost soul is trapped on that pit with the pain elementals, and I do not know if it is possible to jump inside it. You see, I don't want to cheat, and don't want to play the map again too, because it is very long and has got more than 1200 monsters... Anyone got any sugestion?

11 minutes ago, Rayziik said:

Go to the exit. It's just a lost soul.

I'm using ZDoom, and they count as kills in that source port.

You can disable the feature that counts the lost souls or you can simply ignore it. That feature only shows you how many enemies are there in the map, but lost souls are not counted in the total percentage in the intermission screen, so you are beating the map with 3 100% in any case, and even a demo is going to be considered an UV-MAX

As far as I'm aware it's canon to Doom's gameplay that Lost Souls don't count towards kills anyway, at least as of version 1.6 of the engine. A Pain Elemental can and often does spawn them outside the boundary of the map, so getting 100% would be impossible pretty regularly on any map that features PEs near walls, so they're not counted (among other reasons). Don't sweat it.

Keep in mind that scoring 100% wasn't as a "big deal" before as it is nowadays, so don't take it to heart if you can't kill every monster in older maps without cheating, because some may be stuck in inaccessible areas or never see the light, e.g. the token archvile in Anti-Christ (Plutonia map27). Lost souls are the least of your worries, for that matter of course (;

8 hours ago, Rayziik said:

Go to the exit. It's just a lost soul.

This. Getting 100% monsters is not that big of a deal. Sure, maybe if you are missing an entire room full. But one Lost Soul?

On a big map with lots of monsters... it's like trying to cut every blade of grass in your yard. You're going to miss some. But the job is still done.

6 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I heard you can kill him by splash damage if you shoot rockets at the structure he's in at a certain angle. 

Don´t you mind just telling me a bit more about it? I still will finish the map if I can't kill the Lost Soul, the others convinced me that it really is not a big deal, but now I'm quite curious...

31 minutes ago, DSC said:

Don´t you mind just telling me a bit more about it? I still will finish the map if I can't kill the Lost Soul, the others convinced me that it really is not a big deal, but now I'm quite curious...

I think he's talking about MAP27: Anti-Christ of The Plutonia Experiment, where an Arch-vile that is seemingly out of reach can be slowly killed by rockets' splash damage. In your specific case, I'm not sure if you're able to kill the lost soul inside the well since I seem to remember the hole is quite large, and if the lost soul is near the centre it's probably impossible to kill it even with splash damage.

7 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I think he's talking about MAP27: Anti-Christ of The Plutonia Experiment, where an Arch-vile that is seemingly out of reach can be slowly killed by rockets' splash damage. In your specific case, I'm not sure if you're able to kill the lost soul inside the well since I seem to remember the hole is quite large, and if the lost soul is near the centre it's probably impossible to kill it even with splash damage.

The Lost Soul is not near the center, though. Does that mean I can kill him?

5 minutes ago, DSC said:

The Lost Soul is not near the center, though.

I just loaded the level to check, and the only way I see to kill it is to lure a flying enemy to the pit and when it's near the Lost Soul quickly kill it with the Rocket Launcher, the splash damage should be enough to obliterate the Lost Soul. However, you've probably killed every other enemy around so it's probably impossible to kill it in your current situation :/

10 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I just loaded the level to check, and the only way I see to kill it is to lure a flying enemy to the pit and when it's near the Lost Soul quickly kill it with the Rocket Launcher, the splash damage should be enough to obliterate the Lost Soul. However, you've probably killed every other enemy around so it's probably impossible to kill it in your current situation :/

Oh, too bad then... Guess I will just noclip...