Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FirebrandX

Am I THAT wrong??

Lightning_Hunte said:

I just downloaded your playstation sounds... Great stuff! I will be waiting for the Mp3s :) The versions I have are kind of muffled in some parts. it would be nice to be playing Jdoom with the perfect sounds I used to remember in the creepy playstation version. Could you upload your blood .ded file for me as well if you find the time? I don't really care for Cheb's blood pack. It is a little TOO much blood, it covers the sprites and you can't see anything lol.

Here's the link:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/firebrandx/temp/Bloody.zip

I didn't really change much except for the pain-hits. I can make other changes if you need, but I'm sure you probably know how to do this yourself. Btw, can you give me a link to Cheb's blood pack? I want to see how it looks myself.

Edit: I just downloaded the entire Cheb pack for myself to check it out. I see exactly what you mean about the moreblood deds. It's like a big stain on the screen. It's too much. Mine are just little partical sprays that come out when you shoot the enemies.

Edit 2: I tried out your Sparks file. NICE!! This is just another one of those little touches that add to the jdoom experience. No offense to Cheb, but I tend to stay away from his stuff. I prefer to splice in other work like your Sparks file. I use carefully chosen Abbs models and edit the deds to my liking. That's what's so cool about the ded files. Once you get the hang of how they work, you can tweak the effects any way you like.

BTW you should try abbs' alternate firecans. I talked with him on those and got him to add the detail on the wood. A sort of charcoal effect where they are in the flames.

I've finished converting and uploading the first PSX Doom music track. The MP3 is at 160kbps for better quality, but the file is almost 10 MB in size. I won't have enough room to store all of the roughly 20 tracks, so I'm going to rotate each mp3 link every 24 hours. If any sites want to host these superb quality PSX music tracks, just give me credit for making them. Thanks!

Here's the link (I had to zip them to avoid some server problems I've had):

http://www.twingalaxies.com/firebrandx/temp/psxdoom01.zip

(I'm a bit late here, but anyway:)

ZDoom vs. JDoom?

ZDoom rules every time! It has really cool features that enhance the gameplay (see any decent ZDoom-specific wad), and also looks and feels more like the original DooM. All JDoom has is fancy new graphics, which need a fantastic PC with a 3D accelerator anyway. (ZDoom doesn't) Also (in my experience), JDoom and Legacy are a bit unstable and crash quite a bit. (ZDoom doesn't)

I've never had jdoom crash on me once. I also use Boomsday if I want extra features like prBoom has. It's basically jdoom with prBoom features and it works great! The correction to your post should be that zdoom rules every time on YOUR computer. Those of us who have voodoo cards shouldn't have to be bagged on because of it. Trust me, if you came over to my house right now and played jdoom on my system and settings, you'd drool. I'd have to call the fire department to use the jaws of life on your arm to pry it from my mouse. ;-)

Imo everyone who flames others for preferring a specific port over another is a lamer who deserves to get his ass whupped. I'm certainly not surprised that one of the guys who flamed you happened to be Crendowing. That guy just ended up acting like a jerk when he was here.

I too prefer JDoom over ZDoom, mostly because of the kickass visuals you get when you fire the plasma rifle.

I wouldn't have worried about it so much, except he went WAY overboard with it. He used gigantic sized fonts that made the screen fill up after 3 lines. He acted like I just killed his dog while screwing his mother and he made no attempt to control his anger. The venom in his post totally caught me off guard and.. well.. It pissed me off. I guess that's what he wanted though.

FirebrandX said:

He acted like I just killed his dog while screwing his mother and he made no attempt to control his anger.

Good job you didn't get on to DeepSea vs WadAuthor; then you might have got really flamed.

FirebrandX said:

I wouldn't have worried about it so much, except he went WAY overboard with it. He used gigantic sized fonts that made the screen fill up after 3 lines. He acted like I just killed his dog while screwing his mother and he made no attempt to control his anger. The venom in his post totally caught me off guard and.. well.. It pissed me off. I guess that's what he wanted though.

And I can hear that good ol' crennyboy hasn't changed ONE bit.
What forum was that on?

I've finished the digital rip for PSX music level 02. Here's the download link for level 1 and level 2:

(cycled out)
(cycled out)

I'll leave these up until 6am U.S. central time tomorrow. Then I'll cycle in the next 2 levels and update this post with the new links. Get 'em while you can boys, these are simply the best quality PSX doom rips using the PS2's digital fiber-optic cable.

There's just one problem, though. I haven't decided to release only the next episode (second one), or wait until they're all done.

I've been playing CG3 for months now, and I STILL can't beat it. Danm it's hard, and fun too.

Edit 2: I tried out your Sparks file. NICE!! This is just another one of those little touches that add to the jdoom experience. No offense to Cheb, but I tend to stay away from his stuff. I prefer to splice in other work like your Sparks file. I use carefully chosen Abbs models and edit the deds to my liking. That's what's so cool about the ded files. Once you get the hang of how they work, you can tweak the effects any way you like.

BTW you should try abbs' alternate firecans. I talked with him on those and got him to add the detail on the wood. A sort of charcoal effect where they are in the flames. [/B][/quote]Glad you liked the sparks :)
I already use Abbs alternative Firecans. They are pretty cool looking. His new barrels are neat too.
I downloaded both Mp3s now. You can switch them anytime. I can't download them untill about 10:00 U.S. central time tonight (when I get off work) So you might have to leave them up a while. So far I like the quality of the Mp3s!

Ravage, Elby's mp3s are done using the PS1's analog jacks and are compressed at 128kbps. Mine are done from the PS2's digital fiber-optic cable and are compressed at 160kbps. The sound quality is pretty much identical to the actual game.

L.H., I'll get started on the next 2 tracks and have them up in a couple of hours.

I thought my tracks were almost identical. :P

And sorry about the flame thingy. Hopefully it doesn't stop you from posting at the Depot forums.

Elby, your tracks are more than sufficient for 99% of the public. Mine are just for picky snobs like myself who can hear the difference between 128 and 160. I actually prefer 192 on classical music or orchestras, but that would be over-doing it on Doom.

On the flamey thing, I probably should have been a little more discrete in my comment about Zdoom graphics. I had no idea people were so extremely passionate about the program, so I didn't really think anything of talking out my ass. I was just frustrated zdoom couldn't capture the Doom64 experience, which is what I was after for that level Kaiser converted.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Also (in my experience), JDoom and Legacy are a bit unstable and crash quite a bit. (ZDoom doesn't)

Hmmm interesting U.D., concerning Legacy and ZDoom I've found the exact opposite to be the case.

ZDoom and JDoom, what hasn't been said here? When it comes to visual quality I'll take JDoom. I love ZDoom for it's many features and the such. For some people they have stated that JDoom is just "eye candy"...well, how sweet it is brother! When I can run Doom in 1024x768 and 32 bit color, it's breathtaking. I also run the 3-D models as well and it's just great. When I want the pure feel of what Doom is all about then I play PrBoom, it's about as close to the original Doom as you can get and still use higher resolution settings. So, here's the ports I play, PrBoom, ZDoom and jDoom. It depends on how I want to play that day, I leave my options open.

Long Live Doom!!!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

PSX Doom music tracks 3 and 4 are now up:

cycled out
cycled out

1 and 2 will now be cycled out. I'll just cycle them every 12 hours to speed up the process.

Coopersville said:

I say ZDoom sucks all the time, especially to the newbs who play multiplayer with it on GameSpy.

WTF?

Lazer said:

ZDoomGL?

Big problem with ZdoomGL: No mouse scroll-wheel for weapons. That's an automatic F on the report card. I've also had other minor beefs about the display too.

I never use the mouse wheel for that (doesn't roll smooth enough anyway). Instead, the mouse wheel can be pressed down like a third button. I use that to move backwards in some games, like Quake, Quake 2, and Team Fortress.

FirebrandX said:

Ravage, Elby's mp3s are done using the PS1's analog jacks and are compressed at 128kbps. Mine are done from the PS2's digital fiber-optic cable and are compressed at 160kbps. The sound quality is pretty much identical to the actual game.

i just ripped the audio tracks right off the game disc. no cables, maximum audio quality. hasn't anyone else thought of that? They don't make a fun download though at 192kpbs ;)

to be honest, i've not tried jdoom. I used the gl rendering in Legacy and was not impressed, but jdoom looks far superior. maybe i'll try it out this weekend, (besides i'll have to get it eventually to play Underworld). I just prefer the original look of the game in high res.

Use3D, watch out! You might be caught lying. Doom music tracks cannot be ripped directly from the disc. They are midi programs that only the Playstations can play perfectly. There's NO WAY to rip the songs directly as they are not actual music files. They are merely a set of instructions for using 1 to 3 midi samples at varying frequencies. For example, the first track only uses 2 midi samples.

Lying? physicaly impossible for my kind. But maybe a bit mistaken. I have the Sega Saturn version of the game, and its tracks play in any old cd player. as far as i know the soundtracks are the same. And now to make that notch on my belt...