Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JoyDivision

NJ legislation trying ban sales of M Rated games to children under 18.

Please excuse any literary errors in this message, it was written in haste.

I was eating breakfast this morning and I saw in the front page “Video game curbs urged. State lawmakers have proposed a bill to keep ‘mature’ games from kids.” Yes you read it right, a group of lawmakers in New Jersey are trying to promote a law which will ban the sales of M rated games to “under aged” gamers. (As they are in New York, Illinois and Florida.)

They are CONTINUING to wage the dog with the unbacked argument that video games demoralize the innocent minds of youth. Assemblyman Gary Guear is speaking for this group of bastards stating “Clearly children should not be subjected to this level of violence and aggression.”

If that wasn’t enough the article in this paper featured a ludicrous quote from Ronald Coughlin, a “child psychiatrist.”

“Violent images on television and the movies cause aggression in children immediately after being viewed.” (-which is true but those effects are very temporary and the aggression show by children is not towards another child, studies proved that their temporary and often THERAPEUTIC aggression was taken out upon their toys. Now, here comes the lies.) “But the effects of on-screen violence pale in comparison to those in video games, he said, leading to increased hostility that often lingers for up to two years.”

It gets even better:

“What video games do is teach (youngsters) how to kill someone,” said Coughlin, who drew a direct link between video games and the Columbine shootings.”

They’re fabricating facts YET again to bring leverage towards their arguments and at the same time they are trying to bring life into a dead media cashcow, Columbine, yet again.

First off these idiots are trying to ban the sales of M rated games to any minor under the age of 18 even though the M rated label states that it is for ages 17 and older. Secondly these “lawmakers” are again trying to step into your homes and are trying to control your choices in a dictator fashion.

We all know about why this is simply wrong, we know the facts about gaming violence and youth...we need to act now.

Now, if you don’t live in New Jersey, New York, Illinois or Florida where similar legislation is trying to be passed you may wonder why you should care? Well it’s simple folks, there are fifty states in this great country and it only takes ONE to start a chain reaction...sooner or later, state after state after state, they will add up to fifty.

This article was produce from the Gloucester County Times: nj.com
The writer of this article is Terrence Dopp: tdopp@sjnewsco.com.
The editors page of this paper is gcletters@sjnewsco.com

I do not know the e-mails and names of the lawmakers who are trying to pass this bill but the assemblyman Gary Guear’s e-mail is AsmGuear@njleg.org

Also, here is a webpage going deeper into his idiotic bill. http://www.politicsnj.com/guear091202.htm

Please respond in a mature manner to these people, back up what you say with sources, don’t throw random curses at them, we cannot allow them to continue the thought that the gaming community is a senseless, juvenile lot. Gamers, we must allow our voices to be heard. Take a stand now with your wallets, your e-mails and your votes.

“It’s hardly surprising that political attacks typically come from a generation of people 45 and older...” Doug Lowenstein, IDSA President.

I have this to say to the proposers of that bill: Human stupidity cannot be concealed.

I live in NJ, it sucks.
I'm also 19.

I'm worried these bills will spread like a political plague. We may soon see more attempted bans upon the games that we love, that's why you should worry.
- They tried it before, they will again.

Strange how our government is supposed to be "for the people"...yet it seems the lawmakers are thinking for themselves, their agendas or literally, "for the people" and not letting the people think for themselves.

JoyDivision said:

Strange how our government is supposed to be "for the people"...yet it seems the lawmakers are thinking for themselves, their agendas or literally, "for the people" and not letting the people think for themselves.

i hope you didn't just notice this. cause that'd be really sad.

When I was a kid I played with toy guns or with plastic soldier (or knight) miniatures all the time... video games aren't very different, so I wouldn't know what to say. Though it's true that there seems to be a disparity between how games are treated and how movies are dealt with. In any case, wouldn't a child's parents still be able to buy their kid these games if they "banned" them?

Those stupid fucks! Why don't they ban that teen magazine shit which is really responsible for warping the minds of teens everywhere! I hate them and I wish an army of rabid sqirrels would scratch their eyes oud and burrow inside their skulls!!!! That's how much I hate those political snooty fat cats! >:(

Um, who cares? I honestly wouldn't mind one iota if laws were passed making it ilegal to sell M-rated games to minors. You have to be 17 to see an R-rated movie, and there are plenty of games just as gory or with as much foul language as any R-rated movie.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Heh, I am 18 in half an hour so, unless the law passes in the next half an hour, i'm not bothered...

Happy birthday! ;-)

I'M 16 DAMMIT!
Sorry, what I meant to say was:

Oh. My. Gawd. --Hee hee, squirrels.

Ct_red_pants said:

Hope your 18th is better then mine. :(

Well, me and my friend sat around listening to music and drinking beer...pretty much what we do every other weekend :P

mmnpsrsoskl said:
Well, me and my friend sat around listening to music and drinking beer...pretty much what we do every other weekend :P

Bloody hell, everyones 18 was better then mine! :(