Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
diosoth

GZDoom texture stretching/spike glitches

I get this in GZDoom 3.6.0 Legacy in very rare instances, but is an error I can consistently reproduce in the spots it happens. It only happens in GL mode with the "quality" setting- "speed" removes these(yet gives me jagged clear pixels showing the sky texture through on texture seams to the point of being its own problem). I did not see this at all in any prior version using GL and "quality".

(I know Golden Souls 2 says to use the current build, but aside from this it seems to otherwise work fine)

I also have an issue with the texture overlay automap often giving me a solid black or very dark texture overlay, which didn't happen in 3.3 either.

While I would assume the outdated video card is the issue, could there be another texture setting causing this? Unfortunately I am stuck with 3.6 legacy, the current version crashes on startup and while I can run 3.7 legacy some mods I use aren't compatible with it. LDoom doesn't support GL mode so WADs requiring it don't run.

Screenshot-Doom-20191015-032752.png
Screenshot-Doom-20191015-032810.png
Screenshot-Doom-20191015-032840.png

Could you post a crash report? LZDoom of course has a GL renderer (it's based on an old GZDoom), it's mentioned everywhere and even you can select it in the wad selection box and of course in the menus (or use 'vid_renderer 1'). But i'm going to release a new version in a few days.

You could try a DRD team devbuild: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/lzdoom/

Well, GZDoom isn't crashing when this happens. It's just a graphical/texture glitch. It's popped up in Golden Souls 2 and Pirate Doom that I can name recently. I'll try LZDoom again, I only tinkered with it a bit.

Somehow though I hit on a magical combination of settings which let me run in speed setting without the frequent invisible pixel jagged lines on texture seams- something I've been trying to work out for some time in various GZDoom versions. I have no idea how, as I was playing with settings to see if anything would fix it in quality mode, only to give up and switch to speed and find all the jagged pixels gone. I had to switch to windowed mode to cap these, the screenshot key doens't work in settings, aside from usually running fullscreen this is where my settings are at, and I have no idea what some of these even do.

Still no fixes on the black textures in the automap though.

doom1.jpg
doom2.jpg
doom3.jpg
doom4.jpg
doom5.jpg
doom6.jpg

The automap issue- this doesn't happen on every map, most work, but some have this black texture issue. Metroid Doom in 3.6.0 Legacy and g3.3pre-297-g56f656516-x64 which didn't have the issue.

doom7.jpg
doom8.jpg

Edited by diosoth

I think those problems are related to your graphics driver. You mentioned a crash in recent versions of GZDoom legacy, it's discontinued but you could try a more recent devbuild and post the report if it still crashes. https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vintage/

BTW the next LZDoom version will support taking screenshots in menus.

I got the current LZDoon unzipped again today(go figure the day I get around to this, Github has issues delaying the download by 2 hours). Everything seems to be fine, for some reason last time when starting in software mode I couldn't switch to hardware from the in-game menu. No jagged texture pixels on seams and the automap textures work. So unless I have to use another port I'll stick with this.

The last Legacy build I was able to run was 3.7 but I remained with 3.6 as La Tailor Girl(which hasn't seen an update since late last year) and Ultra Crispy(weapons worked, new sounds did not) didn't fully work with 3.7. The current 4.2.1 GZDoom and other recent builds crash due to incompatible hardware, I can try a debvuild but it may give the same issues. My PC is in need of a hardware upgrade, I just haven't bothered as I have enough of a backlog of games as it is though even in browsers and such I may now need the extra hardware. It's a matter of a new PSU, 2 GB more of RAM and the vid card but eventually I may need a new PC, the 2009 CPU and such just won't cut it too much more outside of "legacy" programs(I have a separate WinXP PC for older games that 7 hates but get little use for it beyond that- but is useful if the main PC dies and I need to get online, etc). I'm unfortunately on the last driver available for the onboard Intel chip.

I meant a vintage devbuild but now i see you're talking about a crash with modern GZDoom itself, that's not a crash but an error saying your hardware is not supported.

The current LZDoom is old and i'll release a new version in a few days, i posted a link above to the LZDoom devbuilds.

The old renderer runs better on old hardware, i've seen crashes with legacy GZDoom but not that kind of shit.

BTW web browsers are very heavy, you could try Slimjet 32 bit it's really lightweight.

Heads up, Tartaru3.wad won't load at all, gave me this error-

I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU speed: 2600 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
  Name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
  Family 6, Model 23, Stepping 10
  Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 HyperThreading
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
  Opened device OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Renderer: OpenGL
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script warning, "Tartaru3.wad:DECORATE" line 151:
Tried to define class 'Barbtrail' more than once. Renaming class to 'Barbtrail@Tartaru3.wad@DECORATE'
Undefined drop item class PigCopAmmoDrop referenced from actor PigCop2
Undefined drop item class PigCopAmmoDrop referenced from actor PigCop
Undefined drop item class Heart referenced from actor LargeSpider
Script error, "Tartaru3.wad:DECORATE" line 75:
State RedMiteF.1 links to a state with incompatible restrictions.

Execution could not continue.

1 errors during actor postprocessing

The same happens with GZDoom 3.3.2 and later. Must be a mod bug and older versions were more tolerant. Use ZDoom32 to play it.

yep, this is a mod bug:

Spawn:
PSEN A 0  // +0
PSEN A 1 A_Look // +1
Goto Spawn+2 // +2!

nowai. that goto jumps to the non-existing state. and it is a bug in older zdoom versions too -- they should reject such code.

They surely should have, but back in the day the code had no means to detect that - this only got added when the state management was refactored for ZScript.

yeah. i just meant that previous ZDoom versions weren't really "tolerant", there was a bug there, which has been fixed in later versions.

Metroid Doom worked without problems. I've been able to run Ultra Crispy fine, no sound playback errors from GZDoom 3.7. Doomkrakken's monster mod also works. The Last Sanctuary(tls.wad) is also working, for now- the door code entry at the end may or may not work right depending on the source port, I'll see if that has issues. I also haven't seen that stretched texture bug, which looks to happen with liquid layers covering holes(Metroid Doom has a lot of these).

I am curious if any modern port runs Massmouth 2 without the speed bug rendering it unplayable- by default the mod reduced speed by a percentage by design, but even in older ZDoom versions a bug caused the speed decrease to apply at the start of every level, eventually rendering the mod unplayable.