Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DosMan

What's a good map design for you?

I like challenging maps, full of monsters, secrets and open for exploration. But i ask this question to improve my level design based on what people think is better based on their experience. I don't wanna make just linear maps.

I also like challenging maps, both slaughter maps or normal, hard maps. What I don't like at all are the very open, maze like maps where I have to find the keys or some switch without any hint (so I dislike most of the older maps, for example every level of Memento Mori). 

A linear map, with only a single path to follow but that loops on itself, pushing the player to visit the same areas over and over but with only one path open at a single time is the best. I don't need 5 paths open at any given time, one way is more than enough if it brings me to visit older areas that have somehow changed with new fights, new paths or a new layout.

For example I dislike Ancient Aliens map 27 (If I remember well), with all the teleports and the multiple paths, but I think that it is a beautiful map to look at. 

On the other hand I totally like SF2011 map 30 that is nothing more than a bunch of giant rooms filled by enemies, an unlimited ammo BFG and some detail. It's of course nothing compared to the detail of Ancient Aliens, but I like the linear progression.

Good map for me is mostly about exploration, I actually love environmental puzzles in 2.5 shooters more than shooting itself. This means I always should know WHERE to go, and have to figure out HOW to get there. But without any hidden switches or exhausting labirynth runs, more like: here's the door, I can explore in 5 directions, and I have to go at least in 3 to proceed, the rest will be optional.

12 minutes ago, Simomarchi said:

I also like challenging maps, both slaughter maps or normal, hard maps. What I don't like at all are the very open, maze like maps where I have to find the keys or some switch without any hint (so I dislike most of the older maps, for example every level of Memento Mori).

You shouldn't be getting lost on Memento Mori, most levels have pretty clear progression.

I tend to like shorter & linear levels (preferably with unclear progession/puzzles), with challenge arising more from supply scarcity than filling rooms with meat. I also have a soft spot for instapop enemies, they can be very dangerous if used well.

I personally like maps with a clear sense of progression as well as a good amount of secrets or other hidden goodies for me to find. Maps should be beatable from pistol start but I usually play through the maps continuously.

I tend to like very gimmicky stuff these days. "Classic" doom maps tend to bore me.

I like maps that aren't confusing and also have strategic enemy placements and cover

My only category for enjoying maps is that they are fun for a single blind playthrough and core resources are intuitive to find. The higher the level of difficulty, the more I get annoyed by secrets and elements which require routing/foreknowledge. I can see the appeal of that but I don't tend to replay maps that often.

A few little tid-bits about map design I try to avoid. (not all of them, just a few ^w^).

1 - A good amount of health, armour and ammo. Not so much that I could swim in them for days but enough to not feel like I have to be strict.

2 - Fair traps. I don't want to walk down a hallway and spring a trap containing 3 archviles when all I have is the regular pistol and the chainsaw. Maybe space out the tougher enemies later in the map and not swarm the player unless they're sufficiently armed (WITHOUT secrets).

3 - Not forcing me to kill hell knights, revenants and especially barons with the regular shotgun. There's a reason the super shotty and rocket launcher exist.

4 - Layout. Quite often people make maps that are juuust a bit too confusing. If I make it half way through a map and realise "Oh! I needed a blue key! Okay I'll go find it." and then I have to wander through the maze of a map I just crawled through just to find out the key was in some side room at the start that I didn't feel was necessary to enter at the time... yeah I'd say either add teleporters to shorten the journey back (maybe make the exit side to the key a secret ;) ) or just re-design the map.

5 - Choice. I'm not fond of being forced to play a map the way the map creator wants me to. If I want to go in guns-blazing then I should. Now to be fair not all wads should have this (especially if its one with a story behind it), but wads that don't allow at least some variation to how I can approach a situation tend to lose my interest real fast. (Doesn't need to be drastic, maybe instead of letting me blast away at the enemies with the shotgun I might wanna use the chaingun). 

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Dead Simple but simpler 

Even Simpler :D ?

As said by Romero:

• always changing floor height when I wanted to change floor textures

•  

using special border textures between different wall segments and doorways

• being strict about texture alignment

• conscious use of contrast everywhere in a level between light and dark areas, cramped and open areas

• making sure that if a player could see outside that they should be able to somehow get there

• being strict about designing several secret areas on every level

• making my levels flow so the player will revisit areas several times so they will better understand the 3D space of the level

• creating easily recognizable landmarks in several places for easier navigation 

I like low level lighting, darkness, and flickering lights. It makes things intense for me. I also enjoy some claustrophobic elements that have *just* enough space to dodge enemy fireballs. Oh, and survival elements like scarce ammo and health littered through the map. Things like that will really force a player to slow down, stop, and even catch their breath. Really, I find atmosphere to be much more rewarding than just straight up action. I'm trying to incorporate these elements into my first Doom map, but I also want to retain Romero's classic level design. So this thread is actually great timing for me. Am interested to hear more opinions about this.