Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Any peculiar Doom habits?

Sometimes when faced with a group of bad guys that doesn't pose a large threat, I find myself spreading my damage amongst the group so they all get to the point they will die in one shot from whatever weapon I am using (often Cacodemons in the middle of a room with the DB shotgun).

Have you got any peculiar Doom habits?

Balancing my total ammo such that large ammo pick ups will fill it up evenly (i.e. 300/350 bullets, 80 shells, etc.)

never using the plasma gun and bfg 9000 until i remember i have them when im out of shells,bullets or rockets. lol

i really feel dumb when this happens.

Overanalyzing my options when a sudden trap triggers so hard I forget to actually do anything, and end up getting punched to death in a corner by angry skeletons without doing a single point of damage to any of them.

11 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Always unf'ing doors even if they're very clearly key-locked... Just in case

I know there's a key door in Hell Revealed Map 2 that can just be opened with no keys for some reason.

I always make sure I never kill single imps with the SSG, I always have to switch to the standard shotgun to save ammo no matter what.

I have a habit of never being satisfied clearing a room if I take too much damage. If I enter a map with 200/200 and lose a fourth of it in the first area, I'm loading my save. The level of acceptable loss is less than or equal to 10 to 15 points of health or armor.

However, if a room is particularly hard, and health and armor or a Megasphere is around, it changes the dynamic because now I can accept more damage because I know I have a refill coming up. Of course, even still the less damage I take the better.

In a perfect world, the only damage I take is from hitscanners.

10 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

I always make sure I never kill single imps with the SSG, I always have to switch to the standard shotgun to save ammo no matter what.

in cases, where I decide to save a shell on a imp by switching from SSG to the regular shotgun, the God of Random gives me minimal damage so I have to shoot at the imp for the second time. It's so frustrating.

I don't know how this developed, but I have a weird habit of looking at the automap a TON. waiting for a door to open? Quick glance. Waiting for a lift to go up? I'm looking at my automap. It's kind of like a nervous tick or something, like doom tourettes. Maybe it originated from my obsession with map layout that I had when I first started playing doom. I'm obsessed with the automap image, and I generally don't like it when wads have extensive automap cleanup.

5 minutes ago, dmslr said:

in cases, where I decide to save a shell on a imp by switching from SSG to the regular shotgun, the God of Random gives me minimal damage so I have to shoot at the imp for the second time. It's so frustrating.

Oh yes this is very annoying for sure. I find it happens much less frequently if I get really close to the Imp before firing, like handshake distance. This ensures all the pellets hit.

Collecting all the radiation suit's even when I already have one activated. (I don't know why I do it. but it's just a weird autopilot thing. You know when your driving home, then you get home, and your like "Wow, I don't even know how I got here." Because you were daydreaming the whole drive. Hard to explain.)

Whenever I have to save during a playthrough of a megawad, I have to make sure I'm in a safe room with a medikit or two, plus I have to be pointing my gun out at the door, just in case.

Whenever I can, punch and chainsaw pinkies and spectres to save ammo.

Lining up enemies, wasting ammo, collecting items I already have, such as radsuits, and calling enemies "fucking cunts" when they own me.

After dying once on UV not playing the wad for a week or so. I dont even know why, its not even anger.

I don't know if this is a typical thing or not, but I still use the regular shotgun quite often even after getting the SSG. Generally, there's two reasons: I want to save ammo on weaker enemies, or I want to shoot an enemy from a distance, making the regular shotgun's tighter spread more effective. All in all, not exceptionally peculiar. On the more peculiar side: I like to "finish off" enemies with the pistol. Land a solid shotgun shot on an Imp but RNGesus decided it wouldn't do enough damage to kill it? Whip out my pistol and pop that last shot. For bigger enemies I do the same thing with the shotgun.

never use bfg i prefer the plasma rifle

I know it's weaker, but it's more satisfying to use for me

Typically I approach enemies in a considerably more safe way if health+armor aren't sufficient enough to survive a single maximum damage hit. Also, my memory is somewhat short when it comes to remembering exactly how much ammo I have at the moment so I tend to switch weapons a lot.

Firing the BFG into the door, opening it exactly at the moment the tracers come out and immediately close it giving enemies no chance to ever retaliate. Repeat as many times as needed.

Face rushing every Spider Mastermind I encounter with the BFG, killing them in one hit even if it is not the safest way to dispose of them.

Rarely using plasma on anything that can't be painlocked.

I'm trying to break my habit of only circle strafing to the right. I played Doom for the longest time on shitty keyboards which would not allow circle strafing to the left (due to the matrix layout of cheap keyboards preventing some inputs from registering). So ever since I got a mechanical keyboard, I'm trying to utilize circle strafing to the left. I have to actively think about it though otherwise I immediately fall back to "right only".

I broke my habit of obsessive save-scumming (loading nearly after every hit) many many years ago and I'm glad for that.

I like to have my bullet and shell counts at even numbers.

In a first run of a "new" map, I just stroll through the map, haphazardly shooting/killing stuff. At nearly 50% of enemy kills, a stupid move finally gets me killed. In the second run, being aware of all coming threats, i use a more defensive strategy and I get killed after two minutes or so (not nearly 2% of the map or so).

19 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

All barrels must be destroyed.

Oh, also this.

I often provoke infighting and let the fight run its course even when I have plenty of ammo and could have easily (and much faster) killed all the enemies myself.

Also I used to always switch to chainsaw to deal with pinkies, but lately I stopped to bother and started to just SSG them instead.

Not as much any more, but I used to try to view every line so it shows up on the automap. I'm still a bit irritated when there are lines that can't be seen without noclip.