Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Any peculiar Doom habits?

4 minutes ago, komojo said:

Not as much any more, but I used to try to view every line so it shows up on the automap. I'm still a bit irritated when there are lines that can't be seen without noclip.

I used to be like that as well but I grew out of it after playing for so long

Suppose doomguy is on the uppermost step and downstairs are monsters slightly outside of my FOV, so my brain tells me to lean my head up and look down squinting as if that's going to help. Of course it doesn't. 

11 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I like to have my bullet and shell counts at even numbers.

I was wondering why no one else said this and I found one now. lol

7 hours ago, Rathori said:

I often provoke infighting and let the fight run its course even when I have plenty of ammo and could have easily (and much faster) killed all the enemies myself.

Same here. I also tend to finish off enemies like Cacos and Mancs with the Chaingun if they happen to survive 2 and 3 rockets/SSG blasts; assuming it's a low-pressure situation.

If I have an SSG and an odd number of shells, it really bugs me for some reason. Unless the map is very tight on ammo, I'll usually just shoot the shotgun at an enemy or wall to get it back to an even amount.

Memorized the pickup values for health and ammo so that I either always top my stuff off or I leave large amounts around in case I need them later. Berserk is just a bonus full health recovery if I'm in trouble and I don't need the Berserk benefit.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Same here. I also tend to finish off enemies like Cacos and Mancs with the Chaingun if they happen to survive 2 and 3 rockets/SSG blasts; assuming it's a low-pressure situation.

Same here

8 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Memorized the pickup values for health and ammo so that I either always top my stuff off or I leave large amounts around in case I need them later. Berserk is just a bonus full health recovery if I'm in trouble and I don't need the Berserk benefit.

Ayup. I will spend an extra 10 minutes on a map to maximize my health item use like that.

15 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Suppose doomguy is on the uppermost step and downstairs are monsters slightly outside of my FOV, so my brain tells me to lean my head up and look down squinting as if that's going to help. Of course it doesn't. 

I do the opposite thing, say there's monsters on a ledge just above the FOV hurling projectiles at me, I lower my head and peek the top of the screen, as if it would help spot the monsters :)

On 10/17/2019 at 4:27 AM, whirledtsar said:

Always unf'ing doors even if they're very clearly key-locked... Just in case

Always gosta unf.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:52 AM, Octillion said:

For some reason, I just love to chainsaw cacodemons when they are close.

I too enjoy that. Revenants as well.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:57 AM, Gaia74 said:

never use bfg i prefer the plasma rifle

I know it's weaker, but it's more satisfying to use for me

Oh yeah.  

On 10/18/2019 at 3:06 AM, grrfield said:

In a first run of a "new" map, I just stroll through the map, haphazardly shooting/killing stuff. At nearly 50% of enemy kills, a stupid move finally gets me killed. In the second run, being aware of all coming threats, i use a more defensive strategy and I get killed after two minutes or so (not nearly 2% of the map or so).

LMAO yes this

On 10/18/2019 at 9:36 AM, Bauul said:

I sometimes physically lean to try to avoid a fireball.  Never seems to work!

On 10/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

Suppose doomguy is on the uppermost step and downstairs are monsters slightly outside of my FOV, so my brain tells me to lean my head up and look down squinting as if that's going to help. Of course it doesn't

I used to be terrible doing this when I was young, playing nearly any type of game and I was into it (yes, I was that asshole who would swing my hands holding the controller left and right while playing racing games).  I still kinda do these things to this day.

There's also the one where after a big plasma-spam slaughter and you end up with like four cells left, you just expend them into a wall for no reason.  

I like it when I save the game when I'm on less than 10% health, because I think I'm a badass, and not realize that there's a chaingunner right behind me.  

I sometimes fire a rocket point-blank at the exit switch as I press it.

I do the 'jiggle dance' while waiting or riding on a slow-moving platform. 

These days, I immediately type IDBEHOLDL when I encounter a room with fuckin strobe lighting. 

I always check destination teleporters to make sure that they take me back to original one (or if it takes me somewhere else).

Ever do the thing where you screw up in a fight and then just stand there and say "ok kill me, hurry up, kill me" instead of reloading a save?

The Plasma Rifle is virtually obsolete once I have a BFG, the mileage I get for cells vs. attackers and proper application of the BFG means I kill more and I save more.

I never, ever pick up +1 health potions unless my health is already at 100%. Because that way you maximise your health - you can have 101%, 102% health etc. Even if this means carefully dancing around the +1 health potions so I don't bump into them.

I feel sad and empty if I pick up the health potions and then find a big medikit in the next room. Or if I end up with 97% health.

When i pick up the chainsaw i do that kind of sound pressing fire like when you are knocking at someones door...lol..

I clear the map of baddies all the way to the exit and then backtrack to the very start to restock on goods and makelove to the walls to find secrets. I'd be a terrible lets play/speedrunner lol.

7 minutes ago, Delete said:

I clear the map of baddies all the way to the exit and then backtrack to the very start to restock on goods and makelove to the walls to find secrets. I'd be a terrible lets play/speedrunner lol.

"Make love to the walls" looool!

8 minutes ago, Delete said:

It always peeves me when mappers won't let you return past the exit region, rendering this move impossible at times. As bad as putting powerful items or ammo in the way so you waste it when already in the green.

Blowing myself up with my own rockets near a wall because I fired too early or too late. Bonus points if I hit a Spectre instead and it survived a direct hit + splash damage.

1 hour ago, Austinado said:

When i pick up the chainsaw i do that kind of sound pressing fire like when you are knocking at someones door...lol..

Shave and a haircut, two bits?

Using archviles to launch me onto places that should'nt even be reached. Not really much of a habit since its kind of rare to not get blown up in the process of take off from the archvile

I don't pick armor bonuses unless I have already picked up an armor or I am absolutely sure there are no armors to pick up in the level. Likewise, no picking up health bonuses unless I already have 100+ health.

Even when I play continuous, I like to only use the weapons that I've actually found on the level I'm playing, as opposed to using the weapons brought from previous levels.

For instance, even if I start the map with a plasma gun, I don't use it until I actually find a plasma gun on the level I'm playing.

Edited by JudgeDeadd

Just now, JudgeDeadd said:

Even when I play continuous, I like to only use the weapons that I've actually found on the level I'm playing, as opposed to using the weapons brought from previous levels.

There is a great term for that coined by @galileo31dos01: Continuous with a Pistol Start mindset.

Myself, I like to exit maps so the seconds timer ends with either 4,5,9, or 0. i.e. A time of 30:32 is no bueno. 30:30, 30:34, 30:35, and 30:39 appear far more aesthetic. Which is why in a lot of my casual demos I waste a few seconds before flipping the exit switch.

38 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Myself, I like to exit maps so the seconds timer ends with either 4,5,9, or 0.

Now THAT is strange! any particular reason?

I’m a ‘lean to dodge fireballs’ kinda guy. It literally looks like this when I’m deathmatching.

Also put me down for the ‘trying to keep the ammo at an even number’ crowd, though I’ve mostly grown out of that one.

My most peculiar habit of all however is that I keep posting on these forums and social media sites devoted to Doom. There’s this one in particular... DoomLand I think it’s called? DoomPlanet maybe? Either way, very peculiar indeed.

Edit: Okay this is an actual one, though I guess it’s more a peculiarity as a mapper: I deliberately implement things I see people complaining about. I don’t know if I’m a masochist or what but since my maps are usually easy people never tend to notice. Points of no return, unskippable items, hitscanners from afar (as long as they’re not impossible to hit)... I dunno why but that stuff always made the experience feel “arcadey”. I’m a fan of linear design.

20 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’m a ‘lean to dodge fireballs’ kinda guy.

Yeah me too, and I would guess probably half the people who play doom are like this too. Sometimes I wish I could film myself playing doom because I do some comical dodges