Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Any peculiar Doom habits?

Not sure if this counts as a only Doom habit, But, Quick-Saving every few seconds, for the smallest of reasons. It's the worst for me on any Classic Doom game.

2 hours ago, Tycitron said:

Not sure if this counts as a only Doom habit, But, Quick-Saving every few seconds, for the smallest of reasons. It's the worst for me on any Classic Doom game.

Then i have the problem of doing  a quicksave, but just after getting badly hit since i was just too slow to hit the qsave button, ending up with a save in a starting battle and having only 10 hp. Since the previous existing save dates still from the previous level I have to make it work, now matter how hard it is.

When a map has no or too repetitive music , I like to use ambiance sounds in the background.

Example for a sewer-themed map :

29 minutes ago, grrfield said:

This thread really has a healing effect upon me. I thought I was the only neurotic doomer around...

Same here ;)

I was told recently that it's weird that I clear out each room in a map as I come to it.  Idk, doesn't seem weird to me.

The person who told me this was a speedrunner, lol, so our playstyles probably vary greatly.

4 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I was told recently that it's weird that I clear out each room in a map as I come to it.  Idk, doesn't seem weird to me.

Not weird at all. I thought that's how everyone plays Doom, unless it's a slaughtermap and you purposely let things infight or wait.

16 minutes ago, guitardz said:

The person who told me this was a speedrunner, lol, so our playstyles probably vary greatly.

Not clearing a room entirely before continuing? The horror...

25 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Not weird at all. I thought that's how everyone plays Doom, unless it's a slaughtermap and you purposely let things infight or wait.

Yeah, same here, it is literally the first time I am hearing this.

4 hours ago, Tycitron said:

Same here, I tend to save at almost every 2 steps, usually quicksaving twice, just to be sure...

Some of my DooM habits:

I always play vanilla maps with the PSX DooM sounds/music, I just can't feel confortable playing with the original ones.

Whenever i see a barrel, i get close to it an make it explode, usually killing myself...

I always try to finish off mid tier monsters with a rocket.

I HAVE to find the secret map. Always. I would IDBEHOLDA if necessary.

I bind a key with "kill; kill monsters" command, so when getting killed, massive damage or just want to start last save, I just press that key and everyone goes with me.

3 hours ago, Cacodemon187 said:

Pressing the use button on locked doors, even if I know they're locked

Hey you never know. Especially in older WADs and 90s stuff. I know I've seen cases where doors look like they are key locked but the real key locked door is elsewhere, possibly even unmarked!

14 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Hey you never know. Especially in older WADs and 90s stuff. I know I've seen cases where doors look like they are key locked but the real key locked door is elsewhere, possibly even unmarked!

Similarly, things that should be pain sectors weren't always.  Plutonia for example was VERY inconsistent with it's pain sectors.  This was likely due to the time constraints they had.  Even so, because of this I like to make a save, test any liquid flat, then if it's a pain sector, I reload, and play accoringly.  Plutonia had some regular blue water that was a pain sector in at least one map, lol.  Can never be too sure.

Whenever I encounter an arch-vile, I enter a semi-suicidal state where I charge him with my most potent weapon without any regard for my health. It has gotten to the point where I end up being killed by the situation I put myself in more than the arch-vile itself.

I laugh a little every time I shoot an explosive barrel that blows up and falls forward from a ledge.

I try to get through the map as slowly and carefully as possible, and when I forget to do so, I run like a maniac speedrunner.

14 hours ago, Cacodemon187 said:

Pressing the use button on locked doors, even if I know they're locked

Occasional door humping can be very satisfying.

When there's just Spectres or Pinkies around, I switch to chainsaw. Or if it's a single Caco and he's close enough.

Ever since I learnt that the pistol shoots with pinpoint accuracy if you let the animation end instead of holding the fire button, I keep pistol sniping faraway zombies and imps, despite knowing that the Chaingun can do the same.

I run with the shift key, never autorun and I always turn off autorun in ports.

I find out in advance which maps have the secret level exits and explore them as thoroughly as possible, though I rarely look up how to find the exits themselves.

Killing small groups of zombies or other weak enemies with the rocket launcher, even in situations where I could just as well dispatched them with the chaingun/shotgun and saved precious rocket ammo, just because I like gore and enjoy leaving as much of a mess behind. Or luring them to the perfect position for a kill when given the chance, setting everything up like a painting. The maps are my canvas, my gun is the brush, and the monsters are my palette so to speak.

17 hours ago, Swalzi said:

I laugh a little every time I shoot an explosive barrel that blows up and falls forward from a ledge.

Or even funnier is killing an enemy and the corpse slides up stairs. Physics be damned!

2 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Killing small groups of zombies or other weak enemies with the rocket launcher, even in situations where I could just as well dispatched them with the chaingun/shotgun and saved precious rocket ammo, just because I like gore and enjoy leaving as much of a mess behind. Or luring them to the perfect position for a kill when given the chance, setting everything up like a painting. The maps are my canvas, my gun is the brush, and the monsters are my palette so to speak.

Same here.

I love blowing up groups of hitscanners and imps with the RL.

Saving energy cell ammo for the "big fight" and never actually using it if a "big fight" happens.

Also going around maps not picking health and armor if i don't need it (As in, i have 91% so i won't pick a 10+ stimpack because i'm gonna miss 1% of it) but only extremely rarely going back and picking it up so in reality it's just a waste of health. I really can't get over this one lol

idk if it counts, but I used to stand right in the line of fire for some reason, and even when reloading in newer mods I found my timing way off. ive worked on changing that and don't do it as much anymore though.

When I pick up a Berserk, my brain tells me to stop using ranged weapons and only use the fist, and I listen to it, even if it causes my death. Berserks are damn good.

I've come to the realization that, for whatever reason, I need my Player Start facing north. I'm not sure why it bothers me, but I always work up the map grid rather than down, when I can, and I hate having the Player Start facing south. I don't think I've ever made a single map that doesn't have a north-facing Player Start... 

Switching to my pistol because it doesn’t get enough attention as if all my weapons have feelings and feel neglected if not used to massacre something every now and again.