Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cloud

Basic Crispy Doom questions

wasnt sure whether i should post this in the main Crispy doom thred or make a separate post. i just wana play doom along the philosophies og stated projects anf dont have much experience with this stuf.

i hav a saved game (ep1 ultimate doom wad uv difficulty) from chocolate-doom, how do i go about playin it in crispy since im under the impression it works with em?

i guess if the saved game runs my main goal would b to record 

more important i read that u could use the SSG in doom 1. i couldnt see how to do this?

and lastly do i hav to build this myself thru github etc. i just downloaded choc-doom and ran it, didnt see dat wid crispy which is much preferable to me as far as i know atm. instructions on how to do dat if so would b appreciated, i couldnt find em (only the msys2 instructions)

thanks!

thanks for these ports

In my experience, transferring a save game from Chocolate to Crispy is usually fine. I have noticed weird effects in the past but I think it should be fine with the IWAD. All you have to do is move the save file into your Crispy Doom directory; it is called doomsavx.dsg, where x corresponds to the slot it occupies (i.e. doomsav0.dsg is the first slot).

You don't need to build it on your own. You can download it from here: https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

To use the SSG in Ultimate Doom, load doom.wad as your IWAD, and then use the -file parameter to load doom2.wad. This will load levels from doom.wad while using assets from doom2.wad, such as the SSG and the sky texture.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the most important part for that last bit. Since the SSG doesn't appear in Ultimate Doom, you'll have to type TNTWEAP9 to get it.

curious whats the point of building it yourself when you can jus dl it yourself? advantages?

i didnt see that i thought i needed to build it; the way things were organised or described on the webpages are very clearly not specific enuf or simple, maybe even misleading and i didnt know that.

whats an IWAD? i assume put doom.wad in the crispy folder, then -file doom2.wad (in target when you right click, or cmd prompt). where do u put doom2.wad?

thanks

crispy is compatible wid my cfg in choc rite? what file do i move from choc and where do i put it in crispy? 

can i just set the mouse speeds etc, in the crispy setup menu the same as i had it in choc too?

thanks

awesome ports

You'd only build it yourself it you made changes to the code. So, for most people, it's not necessary at all.

An IWAD is an official wad containing the resources necessary to run the game. For Doom, there are 4 separate IWADS: doom.wad, doom2.wad, and for Final Doom, tnt.wad and plutonia.wad. Putting all of the IWADS in the same folder as Crispy should work. By default, if there are multiple in your directory, it will load Doom 2; to change it, use the -iwad parameter (i.e. -iwad doom.wad).

Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom each have two configuration files. There is one that can be copied from one to the other, which is default.cfg. This contains your keybinds, mouse sensitivity, sound settings, etc. The other settings can be configured via crispy-doom-setup.exe, as well as using the in-game crispiness menu.

I'm pretty sure Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom use the exact same file saving system, you just have to put your save in the Crispy folder and it should work

7 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

I'm pretty sure Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom use the exact same file saving system, you just have to put your save in the Crispy folder and it should work

I think so too, but I distinctly recall moving a savegame of Scythe from Chocolate to Crispy and it resulted in some weirdness with the flats. No idea. Everything else was fine tho.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:38 PM, maxmanium said:

I think so too, but I distinctly recall moving a savegame of Scythe from Chocolate to Crispy and it resulted in some weirdness with the flats. No idea. Everything else was fine tho.

This happens because in Chocolate Doom the DEHACKED lump inside SCYTHE.WAD isn't loaded by default (you have to pass -dehlump to load the deh lump inside a WAD after its name). In Crispy Doom the DEHACKED lumps inside WADs are loaded while merging WADs, so what you had experienced may have been the DeHackEd lump loaded twice.

Or maybe the reason is that you were playing Scythe in Choco loading it with -file, and in Crispy -file acts like -merge.

If you are going to share savegames between Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom, make sure to load all PWADs with the -merge parameter in the latter (Crispy Doom Wiki->Compatibility).

Edited by Zodomaniac

5 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

This happens because in Chocolate Doom the DEHACKED lump inside SCYTHE.WAD isn't loaded by default (you have to pass -dehlump to load the deh lump inside a WAD after its name). In Crispy Doom the DEHACKED lumps inside WADs are loaded while merging WADs, so what you had experienced may have been the DeHackEd lump loaded twice.

Or maybe the reason is that you were playing Scythe in Choco loading it with -file, and in Crispy -file acts like -merge.

If you are going to share savegames between Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom, make sure to load all PWADs with the -merge parameter in the latter (Crispy Doom Wiki->Compatibility).

I don't see a DEHACKED lump in scythe.wad, but that's still good to know. I just now learned about the -dehlump parameter, too... I've just been manually loading the separate DEHACKED patches this whole time...