Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom 3 Leak

As I'm sure the majority of you have heard, rumors of a leak of the E3 demo of Doom 3 have been rampant. We here at Doomworld can now confirm that these rumors are in fact true. There is a leaked version of Doom 3 out there. This is the very same demo that ran at E3 on an Athlon XP2200+ and an ATI prototype video card (now the Radeon 9700). Of course the demo is nowhere near a final product, and anyone who somehow obtains a copy of it should not judge the final product by it. id of course urges everyone to not distribute it or any screenshots of the game, and I assume deletion of it would be appreciated as well. Do the right thing and all that. That's about as far as it goes. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks.

There was a huge difference between the leaked UT2003demo and the real thing.
These games always have leaked versions during the HW tests.
just hold on, folks; we'll be playing it soon enough.
I don't know about you, but I want to EXPERIENCE the game when it comes out... like a good movie, I don't want to know how it plays out until then.

Alientank said:

Damn that guy for having the leak and not spreading it over kazaa

/me goes and checks kazaa again

Damn that retard who hacked into id's computers and leaked the Alpha.

Drakker said:

Too bad its Windows only, can't play it. :(

No, dont ask for it, you wont get it.

Can I get it off you?

Whats so bad sbout the leak of the alpha? I couldn't care what bad things those over paid id folk think could happen to their personal profits.

Drakker said:

Too bad its Windows only, can't play it. :(

No, dont ask for it, you wont get it.

mewse said:

Can I get it off you?

ROFL.

Law said:

Whats so bad sbout the leak of the alpha? I couldn't care what bad things those over paid id folk think could happen to their personal profits.

Those 'Over paid folk' are the ones creating this work of genius. They don't get paid, they make no more games. Now who wants to live in a world with NO Doom 3 after learning so much about it?
I say damn whoever leaked it.

I was tempted (i've heard some very good feedback in forums) but I'm giving it a miss. I don't think it's that negative for id, it's not the full game and people aren't stupid enough to think it is.

Of course it does highlight the problem of warez, the alpha is everywhere.

I'm curious to know how they got it. What id should do is secretly disperse their own version of the alpha but this time with an uber nasty virus inside. :)

I think id would have been stupid to not have stamped each alpha release depending on the recipient. In this case I'd guess they already know who managed to loose it upon the world.

I see nothing wrong with the leaked beta, its still VERY early, and Id will release "official" technology tests later. Just enjoy it while you can... or if you can... Windows only :\

And, no, it wont hurt Id's profits.

Drakker said:

I see nothing wrong with the leaked beta, its still VERY early, and Id will release "official" technology tests later. Just enjoy it while you can... or if you can... Windows only :\

And, no, it wont hurt Id's profits.

so you'll send it to me?

Just because id isn't selling it doesn't make it not warez. It's something like a gig of copyrighted material being distibuted across the internet. That's not particularly legal.

Patience has better rewards in this case, as Opulent pointed out. Waiting for the full game will ensure a better gaming experience rather than getting as much as you possibly can from an alpha test. Downloading a +350mb file for a tech display that might not even work on your system (or if it does, at 1-5 fps) is all they'll get right now. :)

I didnt say it makes it legal cuz its incomplete... but moraly I think its okay. Not paying for a full game is bad, but playing a leaked beta that isnt even for sale? Whats wrong with that? You get an early feeling of the game and helps you wait till the official demo. You will get the same feeling out of the technology test/demo anyway.

Xian> ATI leaked it
Xian> oh we will. We are hoping our rep gets fired.
Xian> John sent them a flame mail yesterday basically saying "This has hurt our relationship"
Xian> haha, no
Xian> not really
Xian> they sent us a development laptop with a full build of Unreal Warfare on it
Xian> yep
Xian> Well, we deleted it
Xian> that's a whole can of worms we don't want to get into
Xian> yeah, well, ATI has clearly violated our NDA
Xian> we thought about that.
Xian> but, no
Xian> ATI is on our shitlist right now
Xian> we are not dealing with them until further notice
Xian> no, it's not public chiQ
Xian> We know ATI leaked it. We watermark all releases
Xian> Squiggle: ATI has a relaxed policy about pre-release software. Remeber, they gave us a laptop that had Unreal Warfare loaded on it 3 months ago
Xian> They don't seem to care about strict enforcement of NDA's
Xian> on a positive note, people seem to *REALLY LIKE* the leaked @#%$

from a post on squabble.org

Of course people *REALLY LIKE* it. It's the best thing to get leaked ever. I can't find a fault with it so far.

All I can say is Heh. C'mon people, you knew this was bound to happen from the start. Don't deny it, you know it's true.

Here's a funny idea.

Maybe Id purposely let the alpha get away as sort of a "public beta". Thinking it's warez, people spread it around more quickly than an actual beta and of course no one can find anything wrong with it because it's already been privately tested. And if they do find something wrong, they'll chalk it up to it being unready.
Those who don't play the alpha hear about it from everyone else, and how good it is, making word-of-mouth more effective than any good review or advertizing campaign, and no advertizing money has to go into it. And of course they would encourage people not to distribute it, so warning bells don't go off. Most people won't delete it anyway, and a lot of people will still distribute it despite the warning because they already thought it was illegal, and id's response wouldn't change that.

Okay, I don't really believe that myself. It's just a wacky theory. But it was fun making you read all of it. :p

Law said:

Don't blaspheme on these forums please.