Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Favorite Long Song

What's your favorite song that is over 15 minites long?

Right now I'm listening to 2112 by Rush. The song taks up the entire side of the LP.

Anyways, answer the question and explain why you like it.

Orbital - The Box Extended Version or Iron Butterfly - Inna Gadda Da Vida, primarily because those are the only two songs I have that are that long.

"Nine Feet Underground" by Caravan. It weighs in at 22:40, and takes up the whole of side 2 of the album "In the Land of Grey and Pink". Why do I like it? Because it's long, and it's 1337.

Hmm... Under the dying sun (by Forest of Shadows.) Why? It's just a song I've been listening to it pretty much lately. And it fits in with your request (15:34.)

Yo Cap'n Red: What version of "Thick as a Brick" d'you have? I have a six-minute version; the one on my dad's JT tape is only 3.5 minutes or so.

IMJack said:
Yo Cap'n Red: What version of "Thick as a Brick" d'you have? I have a six-minute version; the one on my dad's JT tape is only 3.5 minutes or so.

You my frend, have the short version made for radio. The original vision goes for 40 minutes. I couldn’t tell you which album, as I’ve only got it as an mp3.

40Minutes?? Holy shit, and I thought Iced Earth's 16 minute long epic Dante's inferno was long.

Iron Maiden - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is my favourite long song at 13:33.
Dream Theatre - The Glass Prison 13:47.

PinkFloyd - Dogs
Phil Ochs - When in Rome
lots of Classical(if you want to go there)
not to burst your bubble, but 2112 is a concept album, those are all seperate songs.

Opulent said:

not to burst your bubble, but 2112 is a concept album, those are all seperate songs.

No, 2112 is one song divided into many (i.e: Temples of Syrinx, discovery, presentation, etc.). There are other songs on the album's other side (A passage to Bangkok, The Twilight Zone, Lessons, Tears, Something for Nothing).

well, Insomniac, you could say the same about a lot of albums... look at ELP's or YES's albums. the whole albums are indexed as i ii iii iv etc...
I agree that RUSH lists 2112 as one song.. with parts, but the songs are seperate. they begin and end. the chords are different and tracks are seperate. and the 2112 cd is indexed, btw.
Roger Waters' Pros and Cons album is not one song... but Shine on you Crazy Diamond is, imho.

well, this is your thread so it's your call. :)

Doubting Thomas: Father don't Cry.

Jean Michel Jarre: Equinoxe part 7.

Jean Michel Jarre: Magnetic Fields part 1.

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells 1 and 2.

Tool: Reflection.

Tool: Disgustipated.

Mark Klem: Dredge (Extended Version).

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. Each side is 25 min long.

Beat that and stay fashionable.

BTW, I got the CD.

The longest song I have is 14:15, "You Always Say Goodnight, Goodnight/Emotion is Dead Pt. II" by The Juliana Theory. It happens to be one of my favorites also. It's actually one song split into two parts, the longer being 9:30.

I don't think i own anything over 15 minutes.
The longest songs are probably 'We're In This Together' and 'Ripe with Decay' by NIN (7-8 min), and the album (full) version of 'Black #1' by Type O Negative (9 min).

ravage said:

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield

A.K.A The theme to "The Exorcist"

That song is amazing. Mike Oldfeild wrote it when he was 17. I have the gold CD of it.

Little Faith said:

Tool: Reflection.

Very interesting you should bring this up. Tool joked in an interveiw once that they might make a +20 min song. If you look at the back credits, Disposition, Reflection, and Triad are all linked together, adding up to over 20.

Tool: Disgustipated.

Heh.

Wow...over 15 minutes long. I don't think i really have any songs that are that long, but there are some fairly long songs that i really like, such as:

DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing..." has most of them, including Stem/Long Stem (9:21) Changeling (7:51) and Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt (6:40)

Like BBG said, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. This is an amazing song, and you should try to download it in MP3 or get a good midi if you haven't already.

Deny by Josh Martinez is another great song. It's about the holocost and has several different parts to it's story

Uriah Heep (Very 'eavy very 'umble album) Gypsy: best rock ever
Jethro Tull: Aqualung, superb theme through whole album
Grand Funk Railroad: Live album: Into the Sun, takes up side 4 of this brilliant 4 disc album
Family: Weaver of Life:Still makes me cry :)

Personal favorite: "Delilah (That's All Right)" by Flogging Molly; their combination cover of the songs by Tom Jones and Elvis Presley, repsectively, from Alive Behind the Green Door.

fodders said:
Uriah Heep (Very 'eavy very 'umble album) Gypsy: best rock ever
Jethro Tull: Aqualung, superb theme through whole album
Grand Funk Railroad: Live album: Into the Sun, takes up side 4 of this brilliant 4 disc album
Family: Weaver of Life:Still makes me cry :)

Heh, You have the best taste in music here in IMHO.

Also, Storm - God Speed you black emperor.

Jimi hendrix live from wood stock and machine gun (one of the versions is EXCACTLY 15 mins long)