Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maxmanium

GZDoom Scythe HOM

Hey folks, sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything about it. MAP22 of Scythe has this HOM, but it only happens on GZDoom (software renderer). I'm just curious if anyone knows why it happens.

Screenshot_Doom_20191019_172249.png.1e76ccb883f9466f2b3907740b9f5daa.png

Cause by sector 236 having the "wrong" floor/ceiling heights. Fix by having floor/ceiling heights of 120/121 respectively.

3 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

Cause by sector 236 having the wrong floor/ceiling heights. Fix by having floor/ceiling heights of 120/121 respectively.

But why does it only happen in GZDoom?

13 hours ago, maxmanium said:

But why does it only happen in GZDoom?

I don't think it does though, I think I've seen this in PrBoom when I went through Scythe.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I don't think it does though, I think I've seen this in PrBoom when I went through Scythe.

Seems fine to me

Did u guys check compatibility settings for both GZdoom and PrBoom+. I don't remember seeing this in either port but the last time I played Scythe was many years ago.

9 hours ago, seed said:

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 at least is fine in software. Also using just zdoom 2.8.1 the area rendered fine. Could not see any compat settings for this issue. Would seem the software code has been modified since 2.8.1 ?

Edited by hawkwind

Seems to be a problem unique to GZDoom, and only in software/softpoly renderers, with no compatibility setting to fix it. It does not occur in PrBoom+ or Chocolate Doom (But ZDoom 2.8.1 does cause the problem for me). This is easily fixed using level compatibility, so I made a pull request for GZDoom. Once this gets committed into the master, this visual glitch will be fixed in the next GZDoom Devbuild, and by extension, GZDoom 4.2.4 and later. As for why this occurs exclusively in GZDoom's software renderer, your guess is as good as mine...

Edited by 3saster

The obvious answer would be that the renderer is not exactly the same, just like it swallows some map constructs others may choke on, the opposite can just as easily happen. It may be related to GL nodes. I remember the floating crate in Suspended in Dusk producing similar HOM in older ZDooms when the textured automap was on. GZDoom needs the GL nodes anyway so you can't switch them off and check, you'd have to do that in 2.8.1.