Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dude27th (2)

Zombies TC: Re-Animated [RELEASE][[MODDB MOD'S OF THE WEEK]]

NOW FEATURED IN MODDB'S MODS OF THE WEEK!!:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/zombies-tc-r ... tober-2019
(Sorry if this is a common thing with newly released mods but this is my first finished project and I'm really excited to see that it has got positive reception <3 <3 <3)

Hi everyone ! This mod is my take of how a modern remasterization of the original "ZombiesTC" from 1995 should be, I had this idea a couple of years ago after trying Zombies:EEE and being severely dissapointed by it , so instead of having a mod that strips away all of the broken things of the original mod I decided to make my own version mantaining the original escense of it and fixing all those problems as well.

[Latest Footage Video]

Anyway

Description:
"Zombies TC: Re-Animated" is a mod which brings back the original "Zombies TC" to the modern Doom sourceports. 
Apart from beign a more faithfull remasterization of the original, this mod improves on the original version with: 
- Completely re-animated weapons 
- Several tweaks to the lighting of the maps to improve the mood of them 
- All of the Dehacked configuration ported to Decorate, MAPINFO, LANGUAGE, etc. 
- Added colission to windows (Doom map format limitation) 
- And more! All to bring back this cult classic mod in a faithfull and respectful way to the modern times!

You can play this mod with: 

- GZDoom 1.6 or newer (or their ZDoom equivalents)

- Zandronum 3.0

Changelog: (In comparison to ZombiesTC)

Spoiler

Weapons:
- All the weapons have been Re-Animated
- Some weapons sprites  for the "Anti Tank" Bazooka or the "Knife" have been extended to work in widescreen aspect ratios like 16:9, 16:10, and even in 21:9 without cutting off
- The Chainsaw sprites where'nt present in the original mod so they where created from scratch to complete the weaponry line-up , made with the original Doom chainsaw and with several samples from the other weapons , to have the hands looking alike
- The GunFlash overlay for all the weapons was remade , and in some cases the fire sprites where remade as well

Keys:
- The "Crowbar" key and the "Mainkey" key where in the place of the "YellowSkullKey" and "BlueSkullKey" respectively, and this made the automap looks confusing in regards of which key opened what. 
Now the "Crowbar" replaces the "BlueSkullKey" and the "Mainkey" replaces the "YellowSkullkey" and all the maps where updated accordingly.

Maps:
- Several tweaks on the lighting of the maps, sometimes it is used to improve the mood of the level and in later levels lighting is used as to make clearer which way the player should go in order to progress
- Some textures where aligned

- Modified slightly the start of Level 2 to connect with Level 1
- Level 4 has a ladder at the starting part of the level, this is important as it is the visual cue for the exit of Level 7
- Some textures which where used as windows in the levels where edited to have a translucent layer to represent the glass
- Also some colission was added to this window type places by using an invisible actor (Instead of changing the map format of the levels and remaking the entire levels)
- The Interpic was changed for something less gory and more reminiscent to Dawn Of The Dead
- The intermission texts have some background textures more according of ZombiesTC

Enemies:
- Charging Zombie is not translucent
- Cop Enemies spawn a Zombie Cop after dying
- Zombie Cop now has a waking up animation
- Zombie With Head has a longer range
- Human type no longer "A_Scream" at full volume
- Box doesn't bleed

Decorations:
- Rescaled Mannequin
- Rescaled Computer
- Rescaled Spotlight
- ToxicFog is translucent

- Some miscellaneous tweaks:
  + Menu sound from scrolling up/down was changed

And probably I'm forgetting some more things...

Some Images:

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_030511.png.5ec073e8b2774d1f2ca1025ad2885eb6.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_030655.png.566080a4d2ffb89ff4c4dabe547de6d4.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_030735.png.b592b60127f7b74a31a4e4e600aaebe8.png

Some Showcase Videos:

Download:
MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!ORMlUILA!9MidTLV11ECeA1wyo96a6tZ8wZezDLZGaEMB8mcEJ0o

Also:
ModDB: https://www.moddb.com/mods/zombies-tc-re-animated/
ZDoom: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=66168

Finally but not less important
Thanks to:
- Randy for Zdoom
- Graf Zahl for GZDoom
- 3saster for "dechacked2decorate" which made a lot of work easier to port
- AstroCreep for somehow inspiring me to make a truthfull and updated version of ZombiesTC, and by being generally a nice dude everytime I criticized him about his broken mod
- The T.C. Hacking Group for creating a cult classic Doom mod, and being an inspiration about what can be done with some creativity and some hacks, and also making me interested about the Doom Modding Community as well

Screenshot_Doom_20191020_014955.jpg

Edited by Dude27th (2) : update

Oh also , while it is a complete port of everything , the Decorate actors don't have an Ednum for now , so they take place instead of the original actors.
Obviously this can be added in future versions, also I want to repack it in pk3 to have a more organized structure of all the content of the mod, and replace all the patches with proper textures names.

But meanwhile the game is fully completed and fully playable as well.
Feedback is very much appreciated! ^^

You did an awesome job improving those weapon animations, they look far smoother now. This is a really impressive effort, glad to see this old rustic TC having some new life injected into it!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

You did an awesome job improving those weapon animations, they look far smoother now. This is a really impressive effort, glad to see this old rustic TC having some new life injected into it!

Thank you ! ^^
I wanted to improve it as much as I can

I’ll test in EDGE and check it out!

The old Zombies TC add on for EDGE was what got me into modding in the first place - so this warms my jellies 🥰

3 hours ago, Coraline said:

I’ll test in EDGE and check it out!

The old Zombies TC add on for EDGE was what got me into modding in the first place - so this warms my jellies 🥰

At the moment I tested it with GZD 1.9 and 3.7 , I should test how compatible is with other ports

UPDATE: You need Zandronum or GZDoom 1.6 at minimum to run this mod

Edited by Dude27th (2)

Footage added to the main post! For those curious people and because the animations is mostly the strong point of the mod and without any good video to showcase that there is no much point ot it

I made a full Zombies TC TAS at the beginning of October and now I see a topic that brings some improvement for such an old WAD. Have I inspired you to do so?

@Dimon12321 This mod idea began in 2016 or 2017 , after the release of Extreme Epidemic Edition.
I decided to finish it up considering the amount of work I already have put into it and would be a nice play for Halloween, alongside my Zombies Ate My Neighbors TC mod and the other several mods that are going to be released this Halloween.

I didn't knew that someone made a TAS of Zombies TC and I'm watching it right now but I didn't knew about it until you mencioned it.
But considering that you probably had a lot time playing the original ZombiesTc , then what do you think about "ZombiesTC:Re-Animated"?
It is not a 100% accurate port as there is some slight changes in the weapons and a couple of enemies which would change any TAS of the original but I believe that is pretty accurate regardless.
Oh also The City level had a monster spawn changed.

Edited by Dude27th

@Dude27th, honestly, I spent just 2 days on a single walkthrough and a single day on TASing. I don't like Zombies TC regardless of whatever changes are made to it. This WAD is a complete mess! It was released too early and got influenced by engine restrictions. Zombies TC is extremely obsoleted. It needs a complete remake, not a re-animation.

Civilians must evade zombies and armed people must attack them. Maybe armed people are insane, but I don't think they should attack the main hero. Everything should be realistic - right now everything is trying to kill you and survivors don't care about anything.

Level design sucks! In spite of following the movies' storylines, I would just throw away some maps.

These women carrying zombies' heads. Did they really exist in those movies? And why do they attack you in such a way?

I would prefer to play a true zombie apocalypse mod with appropriate mechanics and missions. I haven't seen Dawn of the Dead films, so I don't know the plot for sure, but it's definitely a bad base for a Doom mod.

lol this guy has never played a 90’s TC I’m guessing. Of course everything is trying to kill you! Advanced scripting would be required to have friendly AI and for me personally it would remove me from the experience - Doom’s all about killing everything that moves after all.

A more realistic survival horror type mod would be cool and indeed they do exist (earliest one I recall atm is ghouls forest) but that’s simply not what this was going for, it’s trying (and succeeding based on what I played) to be a slightly cleaner, more playable and approachable version of the old TC - if he changed it radically, it would deviate too far from the whole point of this update.

Also, a ZAMN themed mod would be cool, have you announced that anywhere else yet? Keen to see some screenshots if you have some

15 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

@Dude27th, honestly, I spent just 2 days on a single walkthrough and a single day on TASing. I don't like Zombies TC regardless of whatever changes are made to it. This WAD is a complete mess! It was released too early and got influenced by engine restrictions. Zombies TC is extremely obsoleted. It needs a complete remake, not a re-animation.

Civilians must evade zombies and armed people must attack them. Maybe armed people are insane, but I don't think they should attack the main hero. Everything should be realistic - right now everything is trying to kill you and survivors don't care about anything.

Level design sucks! In spite of following the movies' storylines, I would just throw away some maps.

These women carrying zombies' heads. Did they really exist in those movies? And why do they attack you in such a way?

I would prefer to play a true zombie apocalypse mod with appropriate mechanics and missions. I haven't seen Dawn of the Dead films, so I don't know the plot for sure, but it's definitely a bad base for a Doom mod.

Jesus dude! Why did you made a TAS about it then ?
I was expecting some aprecciation to detail that someone who has played it several times could notice , but damn....
Ok then 

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

lol this guy has never played a 90’s TC I’m guessing. Of course everything is trying to kill you! Advanced scripting would be required to have friendly AI and for me personally it would remove me from the experience - Doom’s all about killing everything that moves after all.

A more realistic survival horror type mod would be cool and indeed they do exist (earliest one I recall atm is ghouls forest) but that’s simply not what this was going for, it’s trying (and succeeding based on what I played) to be a slightly cleaner, more playable and approachable version of the old TC - if he changed it radically, it would deviate too far from the whole point of this update.

Also, a ZAMN themed mod would be cool, have you announced that anywhere else yet? Keen to see some screenshots if you have some

Yeah , that is the whole point of this re-animation.
Also about the ZAMN Mod yes!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/zombies-doomed-my-neighbors-mod
(It says ZDMN but that's the old name and I don't want to change it tbh)

And with some luck I could update as well for this Halloween.
I haven't posted it here because I kinda lost some of the credits and I try to find them.
Some of the resources are from 2014 so.... yep

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I played some. Don't you think Zombies TC is different from the rest? It should have friendly NPCs, but it doesn't. Most 90's TCs don't imply such things and shooting everything that moves is quite fine for them, but not for Zombies TC. That's why I complain about it.

Edited by Dimon12321

I understand where you're coming from, but that sort of thing just wasn't really possible in DeHackEd, which is what Dude27th is trying to retain the feel of.

His work is valuable (at least, I appreciate this kind of art), but I expect this Re-Animation won't get much attention comparing to other works in 2019/2020. I'm happy to be wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 10/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, Dimon12321 said:

His work is valuable (at least, I appreciate this kind of art), but I expect this Re-Animation won't get much attention comparing to other works in 2019/2020. I'm happy to be wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean , not because people expect every mod to play like a Brutal Doom clone I'm going to make a Brutal Doom clone of my work as well, do you know what I mean?
Just take a look at the rest of the modding scene, most of the time or it is just another thing with stolen and reused assets or it is Brutal Doom with another theme to mask it in.
You can choose to make something that people expect for sure and it's going to get the expected attention as well, but where is the originality in that?
What would be the point of making something new if it's going to be the same shit that's been recicled several times?

Im sad to see that you make TAS of something that you don't appreciate because you expect to get some sort of attention by doing it, and at some point I even can understand you.
But I prefer to have a work that stands out for being more original rather than for beign just another person reusing the same popular formula and not being daring enough to take risks and make my work representative of what I'm offering to the modding scene.

Thank you for commenting.

16 hours ago, Dude27th said:

What would be the point of making something new if it's going to be the same shit that's been recicled several times?

Im sad to see that you make TAS of something that you don't appreciate because you expect to get some sort of attention by doing it, and at some point I even can understand you.

You have just described what EA and Ubisoft actually do =)

I have been making TASes primarily for myself for a long time. I like rewatching my old videos over and over. In 8 years, I got 1143 subscribers. If I needed attention and hype, I would abandon this hobby and switch to something different. Attention is more like a consequence. If someone occasionally finds my video in recommendations, well fine, have a nice watch. If no, so what? I got curious how a TAS of Zombies TC would look like. Firstly, it's short. Secondly, it's rare. I found so few videos on YT about it and I though "Why not to show it up?"

9 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

You have just described what EA and Ubisoft actually do =)

I have been making TASes primarily for myself for a long time. I like rewatching my old videos over and over. In 8 years, I got 1143 subscribers. If I needed attention and hype, I would abandon this hobby and switch to something different. Attention is more like a consequence. If someone occasionally finds my video in recommendations, well fine, have a nice watch. If no, so what? I got curious how a TAS of Zombies TC would look like. Firstly, it's short. Secondly, it's rare. I found so few videos on YT about it and I though "Why not to show it up?"

Well , if you've been doing it for 8 years then yes, that's at least determination for making TAS so I rectract my statement.
And about ZombiesTC TAS would be really nice of you!
I mean I consider it buggy and broken as it is still in beta but if you like it then it would be nice from your part