Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeroa

doom wikis?

I do not know why, but I always felt DoomWiki was the right one, felt more compact to me , so to say.

7 minutes ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

I do not know why, but I always felt DoomWiki was the right one, felt more compact to me , so to say.

Yeah, I'd say it's better organized and easier to read (unless it's late).

Wikia had been up everyone's ass when they started the template changes.

Then comes the ads.

And they will ban anyone who'd even think of moving. Doomwiki is the one you need, Doom Wikia isn't.

It's something of a shame the Fandom wiki still tends to float higher on general searches than the proper Doom Wiki. Fandom clearly got their SEO working overtime despite the lack of content compared to Doomwiki.org

The wikia on Fandom is more generic in a sense (I mean, what game doesn't have a page there?) whereas Doomwiki is focused on Doom and Doom related content. It is also much better structured and organized, and runs much better without a million ads.

Doomwiki is simply of higher quality overall, and also moderated by people from DW.

I miss the days when wikia links used to redirect to the real doom wiki. The old forum software was rusty and ancient but it seemingly allowed some cool shit that the new one doesn’t, such as longer custom titles and the ability to quote/spoiler stuff without your post formatting becoming a garbled unusable mess. The old forum didn’t have the cool little orb reaction thingies though so I don’t miss it. [/confused rambling old man that’s barely on topic]

I used Wikia numerous times for other games that aren't Doom and haven't had much problem with it at all, good place to find good farming locations for WF or for quick info on topics for games like Amnesia, Metro, Prey...etc. but yeah stick to Doomwiki when it comes to Doom, there's even articles in Doom wikia that are just outdated compared to the ones available in Doomwiki. Doomworld article still talks about Post Hell and the "loser" member status like they still exist.

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

It's something of a shame the Fandom wiki still tends to float higher on general searches than the proper Doom Wiki. Fandom clearly got their SEO working overtime despite the lack of content compared to Doomwiki.org

File a complaint with Google, DuckDuckGo and others. I doubt it will help. They clearly do not care that they are helping some web gangsters to make more money. :(

It's clear that there's professional crooks at work here who know how to manipulate the search engines to their advantage.

http://eternity.mancubus.net/stuff/doomwiki-org_20180313T145008Z_SearchAnalytics.csv.gz

Posted by Quasar, obviously. Lol at the top 10, sorted by clicks.

Queries,Clicks,Impressions,CTR,Position
hdoom,5386,21533,25.01%,1.4
doom 3 locker codes,707,1751,40.38%,1.7
h doom,585,3313,17.66%,2.5
h-doom,444,1871,23.73%,1.6
project brutality,420,3571,11.76%,3.3
doom wiki,376,6415,5.86%,6.2
doom 3 codes,303,983,30.82%,2.2
icon of sin,274,2188,12.52%,1.3
doom soundtrack,260,6532,3.98%,4.9
doomwiki,211,333,63.36%,1.9

DoomWiki.org for the win.

I use it quite a bit and i find that it is very easy to find information on anything Doom related.

I rarely ever use the fandom website. Sometimes i do accidentally click on it though as it usually does come up first in searches unfortunately (if i'm just googling something really quickly i may accidently click on it first).

I wrote a bunch of walkthroughs for some Final Doom maps a couple years ago on the Fandom wiki, mainly because I couldn't believe that some maps still didn't have any.  The site was indispensable for me when I found my old Doom95 cd and decided to take a deep dive back into it.  

On 11/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, Mystic 256 said:

My only problem with the doom wiki is there no article about me yet

make some super good maps I guess?