Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFlibble

Any maps that encourage careful exploration and conserving resources?

I was thinking the other day about how a level set for Freed∞m could have a more unique theme and imagined a setting where the player would escape from a prison/medical experimentation facility. It occurred to me that if such a map(set) aimed for a more realistic approach to design, i.e. if ammo, health and other supplies were not lying around randomly, but could be only found in appropriate places - ammo in the armoury or in an officer's room, medikits in the ward etc. - and were generally in less supply than in an average map, that would also allow for a sparser placement of enemies which would yet prove challenging, and alter the playing style.

I wonder if anything like this exists for Doom already? I mean the following features:

• supplies are less common and found only in certain appropriately themed locations (armoury, barracks, ward etc.); no random items just lying around on the floor of any given room; player has to backtrack for more supplies if necessary
  • enemy placement more strategic and sparse, but with limited supplies discouraging the player from run-and-gun tactics
  • map design with greater emphasis on puzzle solving and possible avoidance of battles

To make the point about map design more clear, imagine starting the game without the pistol (or with very limited ammo) and having to first obtain it (or more ammo) from a locked room, to access which you need to first restore power or activate a computer terminal elsewhere, whilst avoiding zombies that roam in the complex. Once you get the pistol/more ammo you can take on some greater threats (like an imp) that were previously blocking further progression, while enemy resistance gets proportionately denser. Further you get the armour but not as an immediate freebie as in E1M1 but you first have to go without it for some time and then surmount an obstacle or two (strong enemies, a locked room with no obvious way inside) before you actually get it. Medikits are only found in the ward which you have to find first, also maybe in the canteen or the like, but certainly not everywhere; more ammo and powerful weapons likewise hidden away (but not in the sense of a secret area; just a locked room you have no access to initially) in some parts of the complex, etc. etc. So the player is encouraged to explore and conserve the resources they have, at the same time each item found or enemy overcome becomes more of a feat in itself, rather than routine. I hope you get the idea.

It’s nowhere near as ‘strict’ as what you describe, but my first megawad called UAC Rebellion has health stations, armories, locker rooms, beds in certain areas and that kind of thing. The gameplay is mostly just OS Doom though, while 80% of health kits are at medical stations you can still find the odd random stimpack here or there. There are alternate routes and skippable areas galore though, you can play as few as 10 or as many as 15 maps before reaching the final battle depending which way you go at the forks in the road.

Its a shame, I can think of multiple wads that tick one box, but not the others. Another example is Fragport, it starts with a cool prison escape map, but once again it turns into a (fun) classic oldschool Doom romp almost instantly, there’s plenty of ammo iirc and I don’t recall too much in the way of skippable areas, but it’s been forever since I last played it so I’m not certain.

Eternal Doom definitely has what’s been called puzzle-ish level design and I’m sure there are alternate routes and skippable battles there too. When it comes to the ammo conservation side of things, CHORD instantly comes to mind, but it doesn’t have any of the other themes you were looking for either.

A wad that combines all of these elements would be really interesting imo!

You should try "Disturbia" by Death-Destiny. One of the main gimmick on this map is the gathered ammo/health in "supplies room"