Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Hi, I'm from Chile, and we're getting shot by the fucking military over here

Violence is NOT the solution. That's what the government wants, to fight against each other and not against the real reason why this country is fucked up...some people needs to see the 2 or 3 sides of the coin apparently. 

Of course, delinquents can take the chance to do whatever they want....

An armed revolution against the government, as a general rule, can only succeed if the army is with the revolutionaries; or at least does not intervene to quash the rebellion. Just look at Syria if you believe having firearms is enough to get rid of a dictatorial government. Seven years of civil war, half the population of the country displaced or dead, rebel forces having spent more time fighting each other than fighting the regime, and Assad still rules.

I don't follow the happenings over there very closely but just be sure that you don't end up being one of CIA's puppets or Soros' great "revolutionary" puppets. If you see the protestors use any US or UK flags or a "fist-symbol" just be careful.

Also, most importantly, never ever ask help from USA or European countries such as Germany, France and UK.

Also, also, I disagree, violence shouldn't be the solution. But what kind of violence did the protestors use? If they were burning local stores you can maybe guess that they are not working for Chilean interests. 

violence is not a solution. but it is a tool that can be used to solve some things.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, nicolas monti said:

Second time? Damn... we have elections next sunday and the two main candidates are a ticket to hell, one of the two will win so I don't expect any good for the next years, the problem with our region is a cultural one.

As I'm in the financial industry a lot of what I hear is how Macri needs to win to prevent a sovereign default...but also from what I hear it doesn't sound like Macri has done much economically whilst he's been in power. And the markets lapped up Bolsonaro in Brazil for his more business-friendly policies but from a social and environmental perspective he's been a bit of a disaster..

@KVELLER @leodoom85 hope the situation in Chile improves soon.

I've heard from an Ecuadorean colleague they've had it rough recently too.

What's this? More fucked-up bullshit the corporate shill media doesn't tell us about? Quelle suprise!

Hang in there, guys. Keep your heads down and hopefully you'll come out the other end of things.

On 10/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, Gez said:

[cgp grey video]

I love this video and give it a re-watch every so often. It can be incredibly demoralizing though as a reminder that there are no easy answers to the many abuses of power still happening around the world.

Hoping for the safety of all of our members. Please take care.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:20 AM, Gez said:

An armed revolution against the government, as a general rule, can only succeed if the army is with the revolutionaries; or at least does not intervene to quash the rebellion. Just look at Syria if you believe having firearms is enough to get rid of a dictatorial government. Seven years of civil war, half the population of the country displaced or dead, rebel forces having spent more time fighting each other than fighting the regime, and Assad still rules.

This video was super interesting and I'm glad I watched it, but it paints a pretty bleak picture for those living under dictatorships. I mean the picture is already obviously bleak but if I understand correctly, the citizens living under most any form of dictatorship by and large have not only a low quality of life, low access to education, low access to food etc, but armed revolt doesn't work unless the military is on their side - and even then it's just to put whoever will benefit them the most on the throne. So if the dictator has enough wealth and influence over his keys (in this case, the military) the citizens have little chance at overthrowing them.

It makes sense, but I can't imagine living under that kind of oppression and not getting violent and protesting. The people seem to agree by and large, it's preferable to die on your feet than live on your knees, the videos don't lie:

Since each individual citizen under a dictatorship has no power over anyone but themselves, and little access to the resources to make themselves smarter, wealthier, more influential, etc isn't their only choice at that point either to accept being stomped on or do some stomping yourself? I'm not saying that's a good thing; it seems like true hell and god damn I'm glad I was born on the right side of some arbitrary line in the dirt where the standard of living is higher. Of course if there was a solution the person who came up with it would be world famous, a vaunted hero, but shit.. it seems like places that are in dire straits are doomed to be there in perpetuity, especially after watching these back to back.

I honestly don't know what the fuck I would do if I was born into this kind of situation. 

17 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It makes sense, but I can't imagine living under that kind of oppression and not getting violent and protesting. The people seem to agree by and large, it's preferable to die on your feet than live on your knees, the videos don't lie:

If you're really miserable, disorganized, and famished, you don't revolt. You don't have the energy for it. Or at least it doesn't get to go very far, and then the survivors are cowed for a generation or two. Historically, successful revolutions have always started by well-to-do people, people who had had a good education -- good enough to understand how society works, and more importantly how it doesn't work and how it could be improved.

Besides it's easier to plan an escape than to plan a revolt. So you're more likely to see refugees than rebels; and that's why dictatorships who actually need their workforce will guard their borders to prevent people from fleeing and will, as a deterrent, enact revenge on the families of the deserters. The Soviet Union did that, and North Korea still does. Of course nowadays it's the rich countries that are doing all they can to deter refugees from leaving poor countries, what with putting kids in cages or just hypocritically hoping they drown in their rickety boats.

Thank you for sharing this news. I also believe that spreading more awareness of the injustices happening is a good step to take. It's all I can think of as a response, especially from behind a computer screen (reminding me to be grateful that we have the Internet and the free expression it can provide). It may not have many immediate effects but it's what I vouch for in hopes of future healing (using the likes of butterfly effects). Your country's people can find the active unifying support they need and (as non-violent or violent it may come about) make life better. This, I hope and pray for and I wish you the best.

Sorry to hear about this, @KVELLER. From what I've seen, I don't think it's been covered a great deal in the US media. I haven't heard much about what was going on down there, other than hearing something about student protests and seeing a video or two of a high rise building that went up in flames. 

On 10/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, Gez said:

If you're really miserable, disorganized, and famished, you don't revolt. You don't have the energy for it. Or at least it doesn't get to go very far, and then the survivors are cowed for a generation or two. Historically, successful revolutions have always started by well-to-do people, people who had had a good education -- good enough to understand how society works, and more importantly how it doesn't work and how it could be improved.

That is true. The overwhelming majority of the people who are protesting over here are from the middle class.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:50 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

Chile's president just happened to dismiss all of the cabinet ministers.

Yeah, but that's not very useful. He's the one who needs to gtfo. Besides, the interior minister we have now is even worse than the previous one! He apparently supports the military wholeheartedly, which led to them behaving even worse last night. I don't know any details though.

And here's a fun fact for everyone: a math teacher who damaged a subway tollbooth was identified and imprisoned in a maximum security jail. On the other hand, a policeman confessed having raped a woman and he's free. His only punishment is having to go sign a document every fifteen days.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:50 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

Chile's president just happened to dismiss all of the cabinet ministers.

The ministers replacement was a total joke. Period. They were changed with the same fucking people that had other similar charges.

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Yeah, but that's not very useful. He's the one who needs to gtfo.

If he quits, then who's left? Because it's the same bunch of fucking flies around the political parties. Needs a complete reorganization and a new constitution as well for this country...

On 10/31/2019 at 7:19 PM, KVELLER said:

And here's a fun fact for everyone: a math teacher who damaged a subway tollbooth was identified and imprisoned in a maximum security jail. On the other hand, a policeman confessed having raped a woman and he's free. His only punishment is having to go sign a document every fifteen days.

Always check the sources. Who says which claim and do they have proof. 

On 10/27/2019 at 11:04 PM, Doomkid said:

... but armed revolt doesn't work unless the military is on their side... 

Just wanted to say that I have never seen or heard of a military coup that ended well for anyone. Usually a military coup ends up with so called legal executions, basically getting rid of the unpleasant educated people and establishing a military dictatorship. We witnessed it in Egypt and Sissy is still ruling. He did execute about 8 or 12 young men just for their thoughts. I don't know why USA, Israel and EU are supporting Sissy to be honest. Also it is surprising that no news media talked about those executions. Whatever... 

i just wanted to say even though everyone else here has already said the same thing is that i am very sorry this is happening. this is not right what there doing its fucked up and it really fucking sucks to because were i am the only banging i heard last night was fireworks going off for Halloween not gunshots from the military shooting people. i really hope things get better.

stay safe.

Edited by pop13lolol

Well, I'm afraid we are on a really big socio-economical pit called Latin-America, as an Argentinian myself, I feel this is going to eventually trigger a Domino-effect on the rest of the adjacent countries. From one side, Banana-like politicians that can't/won't handle economic or social situations in their respective country, while they fill their pockets or give to the citizens a low quality of government (or both things). From the other side, left-wingers or progresist people that thinks protesting in a manner which involves destroying public roads, or avoiding other citizens to get to work or move with roadblocks and stuff is the way to go. This happened in Venezuela these last years, moved to Ecuador, now is in Chile, and could possibly happen on Argentina and Uruguay, as we are confronting elections and government changes (which won't help you whoever you vote for). 

I just hope this ends soon for everyone, and I wish the best of luck for fellow Chilean doomers Leodoom and Kveller.

As it was stated in other discussions involving countries and political “weather”:

FOR FUCK SAKE PEOPLE KIND JUST CRUMBLING AND EATING ITSELF

Can’t to disagree with that.

Stay safe, things are seriously fucked up but there always hope for better things to come.

I am, meanwhile, here living in Bangladesh, which isn't exactly known for being a very good country. Mass-scale corruption, problematic education system, anti-social activities, broken nature of "democracy" etc. is currently eating this country.

And I do agree on the fact that people at this rate will eat up themselves.

All that I can say is, stay safe.

@DJVCardMasterDon't ignore the fact that the other countries like Brazil, Peru and Bolivia, as well as Colombia and Paraguay also have some issues inside. 

Basically, this continent is a fucking shitty cesspool...