Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

he was right!!

i got the last copy of doom2 at EB today. It rocks, all is there. however i didnt like how dark it is, fixed once i back light it. i recomend it to anyone. plus at $25 it was a steal. the guy told me he was sold out and only had the display box and game(i would have gotten for $12 because it was opened and played) then he found one last one burried under order fourms for GTA. I am impressed and it shows that the GBA CAN hadel doom in all its glory. my biggest complaint is green blood and no courpses, next is the weapons changeing. next up Final Doom! however another great game that will be mine... Metroid

Lost Soul said:

.. Are they making Final Doom for the GBA as well??

Nothing's been announced, but I doubt it. YOU try shoving 64+ levels onto a GBA cart. I'd imagine it's a tight squeeze.

deathz0r said:
they'd probably do a PSX to GBA conversion.

That's what I was thinking... But I can't imagen it sell that well... I'd buy it tho...

Trasher][ said:
Nothing's been announced, but I doubt it. YOU try shoving 64+ levels onto a GBA cart. I'd imagine it's a tight squeeze.

I wouldn't be suprised if they could. Have you seen how much stuff is on the Mariokart game? There is like 44 racing tracks, 8 3d models for the racers, good graphics, different music for almost every level, Multiplayer games, and loads of other stuff. You can even save 10 ghosts in Time Trial mode... I think they could fit Final doom on the GBA :)

Here's an entertaining thought: What format is the info for the GBA Doom in? I doubt it's in wad form, but it'd be nice if it was. My friend has a machine that makes Gameboy games. You can upload the bits from the cartridge to your computer and vice-versa (You can get blank cartridges). You could edit your own vanilla doom wads and burn them onto the gameboy games, then play them on your GB. If that worked, I'd certainly buy a gameboy advanced.

Trasher][ said:

It could happen. Quake 1 is coming to GBA, And I have seen test videos of the game and it looks so close to PC it's not funny. Quake is a bigger filesize than Final Doom. So why not?

Lightning Hunter said:

I wouldn't be suprised if they could. Have you seen how much stuff is on the Mariokart game? There is like 44 racing tracks, 8 3d models for the racers, good graphics, different music for almost every level, Multiplayer games, and loads of other stuff. You can even save 10 ghosts in Time Trial mode... I think they could fit Final doom on the GBA :)

Hmm, well, the tracks are basically a heap of 8x8 tiles on a flat files, compared to the polygons used in the GBA Doom 2 engine. The 8 characters aren't actually 3d models: They're just like, 32-angle single-frame sprites digitised from 3d models.

So, yeah. While I'd KILL for a GBA Final Doom, I doubt it'll happen.

If anyone knows, something in GBA Doom II has been driving me INSANE!
I've been trying to find the hidden exit to go to Wolfenstien in the Industrial Zone B. I know exaclty where it is, but I can't make the exit open to me. Has the way to open this door changed? Do I need another Key?

Sephiroth said:

plus at $25 it was a steal.

Uh, are those U.S dollars? All of the games I've seen on GBA have cost 50-65 € and I bet Doom2 will too.

Oh, how I wish I would live in some other country with cheaper games... :(

Lost Soul said:

If anyone knows, something in GBA Doom II has been driving me INSANE!
I've been trying to find the hidden exit to go to Wolfenstien in the Industrial Zone B. I know exaclty where it is, but I can't make the exit open to me. Has the way to open this door changed? Do I need another Key?

I'd venture to bet it was removed to avoid issues with selling the game in Germany. For PC DOOM II, id just removed those levels, but to do that in cartridge form would require a whole new ROM to be "mastered" and so it was probably deemed not worth it.

With green blood, no corpses, and no Wolf stuff, DOOM II should be legal in Germany. But then with green blood, no corpses, and no Wolf stuff, is it really DOOM II? :P

Elbryan42 has been to those levels, and has said so in another thread. The computer map aslo shows the exits location, it's just a matter of making the wall open to me ;).

JavaGuy said:

Here's an entertaining thought: What format is the info for the GBA Doom in? I doubt it's in wad form, but it'd be nice if it was. My friend has a machine that makes Gameboy games. You can upload the bits from the cartridge to your computer and vice-versa (You can get blank cartridges). You could edit your own vanilla doom wads and burn them onto the gameboy games, then play them on your GB. If that worked, I'd certainly buy a gameboy advanced.

That is an entertaining thought. Can you make new stuff with that thing?

Yeah, provided you know a little about how the gameboy works, you could buy blank cartridges (a little expensive I hear, but my friend fit 200 games on just one) and make your own games.

Trasher][ said:
Hmm, well, the tracks are basically a heap of 8x8 tiles on a flat files, compared to the polygons used in the GBA Doom 2 engine. The 8 characters aren't actually 3d models: They're just like, 32-angle single-frame sprites digitised from 3d models.

So, yeah. While I'd KILL for a GBA Final Doom, I doubt it'll happen.

hey, I can hope can't I? :)

Lost Soul: Are you sure you're opening the passage right? Here's how I did it:

1) Drop onto the island in the middle of the lava, hit switch.
2) Drop down to lava, go into secret passage. Get onto platform in secret passage, which opens the door.
3) Go to the lava tunnel and voila, the passage SHOULD be open.

Maybe they did take it out of the German version. I don't see why they would've, since the content is changed to RTCW pics instead of Wolf3D pics. The SS Soldiers still speak german though. Maybe that's enough to cut the levels out. :(

Thanks Elbryan, I found them. I hit the switch as always, but i thought that was what opened the doors, but now I know better. ;)
In any case, I think they would have had to of left the Wolfenstein levels out. I know they are RTCW images instead, but if you've installed RTCW on your comp before, you'd see the big 'THIS GAME IS ILLEGAL IN GERMANY' dialog box before installation began. I think it's strictly the Nazi content. It's not propaganda or anything, but your enemy is the Nazi army, regardless.. so.. mayeb that's it methinks.

it would be cooler if kozmo or something that was originally for dos. like jill of the jungle. hell, i can think forever.

JavaGuy said:

Here's an entertaining thought: What format is the info for the GBA Doom in? I doubt it's in wad form, but it'd be nice if it was.

I quite highly doubt it. I only have a very limited knowledge of the GBA's innards, but I'd take a guess that all the graphics are compressed tiles that load their colors and pallete when you load them in the game (so they look really weird-shit in a tile-editor), and the maps would probably be made out of polygons, making it just a tad tricky to manipulate them. Shift "things" around, maybe, but altering the main level structure would be (pun intended) hell on earth.

I'll have to talk to an online buddy of mine who's delved into GBA roms (Found the sound data for SMA2 and 3, Mario Kart) and ask him to glimpse into the DOOM 2 rom and see what he can find.