Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TravyB

Black skies when using PRBoom+?

Question

Working on my first PWAD, which uses only OTEX (if that's somehow causing an issue, but I doubt it), and the skies, when tested with PRBoom+, are all black with only the top inch of the screen causing a HoM effect. I haven't done anything to add a custom sky or anything yet, its just the plain ol' Doom 2 ep1 sky and works fine with GZDoom. What even causes this? I'm REALLY worried that what it is is my use of varying sky heights since that'd mean scrapping everything, but I'm pretty sure even Doom 2 takes advantage of that. Any help would be greatly appreciated... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hdggzkq9e1ssde/MEGA.wad?dl=0

8 answers to this question

You need to set the sky using a sky transfer for OTEX in order to display properly in prboom, in the wad you had a square with a sky transfer line, but it's not defined properly.

The correct way to use sky transfers is to set it to the tag of a sector that has a visible sky and set the sky on the upper texture of the line 
8Xsm5TG.png
In this case you can leave the tag at 0 since all your sectors with a sky technically are tag 0. It's that simple
urtgYKq.png

For every sector tag that has a visible sky, you'll need to define a diferent sky transfer line pointing to the different sector

Your problem is that you didn't tag sectors where sky shows up. Better remove tag and sky will be draw properly, only tag sky/outside sectors where sky gets draw when it's needed(like if sky gets broke by sort of differently tagged floor). Besides, I prefer draw square inside, lower it, put needed sky and assign action 271 when I need transfer sky. There might be a better methods than mine one...

p.s you can cut that inner square lines into smaller ones, it should work too.

MEGA_edit_area_at_2019.10.25_03-14-24.37

etrn349.png

10 minutes ago, Misty said:

Your problem is that you didn't tag sectors where sky shows up. Better remove tag and sky will be draw properly, only tag sky/outside sectors where sky gets draw when it's needed(like if sky gets broke by sort of differently tagged floor). Besides, I prefer draw square inside, lower it, put needed sky and assign action 271 when I need transfer sky. There might be a better methods than mine one...

p.s you can cut that inner square lines into smaller ones, it should work too.

MEGA_edit_area_at_2019.10.25_03-14-24.37

etrn349.png

So I completely removed everything linked to that little sector outside the map, which I was only using for that imp trap and can simply do without that till I find a different way (I just 'reversed engineered' the method I saw while playing Sunlust and wanted to try it), and the problem still persists. 

1. I drew square inside.

2. Used 3d mode to lower ceiling and applied sky(your texture) on upper untextured side.

3. Gave action 271 and left it untagged.

4. Saved map and tested and it worked. 

My method should work, but there might be other ways, wait for more answers. 

Well what I mean is, if I delete the outside sector entirely, the sky still doesn't show up. This is confusing me since you'd think the sky would just show up by itself at that point, no? You don't NEED to do anything special just for the sky to appear outside when using Boom format, right?

nope. there is nothing at the screen by default (in most sourceports you'll see the contents of the previous frame, this is infamous "HOM effect"). if you want to see the skies, you have to explicitly create a sky sector.

Thank you all very much. I apologize for the confusion, I didn't create that sector on the outside for ANYTHING besides that little imp trap it was linked to. As I said, I kinda reverse engineered it from Sunlust (this one was also inside) to try it and I simply didn't know that you needed to explicitly set up the sky and everything for it to work in the Boom format on PRBoom... hence the confusion. Sorry about that :\

12 minutes ago, TravyB said:

Thank you all very much. I apologize for the confusion, I didn't create that sector on the outside for ANYTHING besides that little imp trap it was linked to. As I said, I kinda reverse engineered it from Sunlust (this one was also inside) to try it and I simply didn't know that you needed to explicitly set up the sky and everything for it to work in the Boom format on PRBoom... hence the confusion. Sorry about that :\

It's alright, no need to apologize. Use this knowledge well and make great maps ;)