Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

my school blocked DoomWorld

my school district added a new chrome extension that finds links students visit, and allows teachers to block them, this means most unblocked game sites are now blocked, Ebay is blocked, Facebook is blocked, and sadly yes, Doomworld is blocked, thankfully this is a chrome extension so if you download an external browser from the chrome web store(these are chromebooks so we can't download something like Opera) you can still visit sites, hopefully they don't realize we are downloading the browser from the web store, or else they will block it.

now this seems reasonable but what's annoying is they can stop Google from opening any links whatsoever, rather than just telling your students to put them away, so if your teacher forgets and you don't realize it until the weekend and you don't have a computer at home(a lot of students don't) your fucked and won't be able to do any work. 

edit: they also blocked GitHub

Honestly I can't type anything without it devolving into you shouldn't be on gaming forums in school especially on their own devices. I can't figure out why would GitHub warrant a ban though? Are they banning it so students don't learn stuff before teachers teach them? What a nightmare! 

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Honestly I can't type anything without it devolving into you shouldn't be on gaming forums in school especially on their own devices. I can't figure out why would GitHub warrant a ban though? Are they banning it so students don't learn stuff before teachers teach them? What a nightmare! 

Ya, was about to say the same thing.

Still, github? Why? Social cancer media and gaming sites I can understand, but I'm sure everyone loves staring at code and what else on github during the classes...

This reminds me of my last year at school in 2001 , my school went hell bent on trying to block every site you can imagine. Though they hadn't heard of Rotten.com yet. Anyway, when they had a shit ton of unwanted explicit images coming off on the printers they were less than chuffed XD

Yours blocked Doomworld? seems a bit silly. The time I've had here has been nothing but positive and enjoyable full of decent people, a far far cry from the likes of Facebook.

I would say to try and use cacoworld.com but I think it's a forward so it wouldn't actually let you browse.

I’m so glad I was out of school before “computers you have to take home” became a thing. I just hope they don’t have you lugging text books around as well, that’d be a nonsense overload.

Are you old enough to get a little job on the weekends or do your parents give you money for chores? You can get a cheap little Dell computer or something for 100 bucks that could easily play a big handful of great games (Doom ofc) and browse the web without any goons blocking you. Christmas is also coming up, if your family celebrates it this might be a decent gift to ask for.

Certain sites were starting to get blocked when i was in highschool too but we'd just go to vpn sites such as "hidemyass" or something like that and we'd get through. Not sure if those work anymore (probably not). Sucks to hear though that it's even worse nowadays! TBH i only had a few classes that utilized computers fully (accounting was one of them i really remember) so it didn't affect me much and i didn't really have internet at home through out my highschool years (yeah i know very odd) so i didn't do much with the internet tbh.

25 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’m so glad I was out of school before “computers you have to take home” became a thing.

Same man. Hell we never even had tablets or used laptops in school. Just desktops and they weren't very new tbh. I know that cell phones didn't work in my school cafeteria. Too much interference or something so no one used them during lunch and you weren't allowed to even be caught with one on you at all, or it got confiscated (normally just told to put it away though). I didn't have a smart phone until a couple years ago anyways (way late to the game i know) so i rarely used my flip phone in school.

57 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’m so glad I was out of school before “computers you have to take home” became a thing. I just hope they don’t have you lugging text books around as well, that’d be a nonsense overload.

Are you old enough to get a little job on the weekends or do your parents give you money for chores? You can get a cheap little Dell computer or something for 100 bucks that could easily play a big handful of great games (Doom ofc) and browse the web without any goons blocking you. Christmas is also coming up, if your family celebrates it this might be a decent gift to ask for.

actually I have a job(janitor at an auto shop) and a pc, it's just that a lot kids at my school don't have a pc so when their school computer is locked for the weekend, they're kind of fucked, and as far as I know the teacher that locked the pc is the only one that can unlock it so if you have a substitute who doesn't know how to use the school software, you're double fucked.

My high school had a one-to-one program with Macbooks. And, @Doomkid, yes, we still had to lug around textbooks as well. Usually you were kinda fucked if you couldn't do something on your laptop (although with certain things the student tech team could help out). Usually people just used their smartphones for certain stuff, and we'd use a VPN (or mobile data) to access stuff blocked on the WiFi.

On the one hand, you shouldn't on Doomworld during school, you should be doing your work. It was only a matter of time before they blocked it, and they're well within their rights to do so.

On the other, the fact they blocked Github shows that your school/school district is run by a bunch of old, out-of-touch fossils that just assume Github is just for "them vidya games or whatever", and therefore bad. That's dumb.

And, as someone who graduated from high school rather recently (about 4 years ago), I can say with certainty that the projects they have you working on with those crappy Chromebooks are about the most tedious, gimmicky, filler you can imagine, and you don't learn anything, or really get anything of worth done. 

If you're screwing around on doomworld during your Chromebook time, you're at least having a good time chatting about doom/other games, which is more than can be said about the sad state modern public curriculum in is these days. So, I can't really say that's causing any harm.

10 hours ago, Eurisko said:

This reminds me of my last year at school in 2001 , my school went hell bent on trying to block every site you can imagine. Though they hadn't heard of Rotten.com yet. Anyway, when they had a shit ton of unwanted explicit images coming off on the printers they were less than chuffed XD

Yours blocked Doomworld? seems a bit silly. The time I've had here has been nothing but positive and enjoyable full of decent people, a far far cry from the likes of Facebook.

LMAO, god I laughed way too hard at that first part.  Sounds like something my friends and I would do back then.

I do agree with your sentiment though, there's nothing BBQgiraffe could be doing on his laptop that's more important than Doomworld while at school.  He should try putting a small party browser-installation-executable on a flash drive and installing it that way so he can avoid being blocked on Google all together.

At elementary school, we bypassed blocked sites using Google Translate. Try it out. It changes the URL.

2 hours ago, STILES said:

LMAO, god I laughed way too hard at that first part.  Sounds like something my friends and I would do back then.

LOL! Yeah , we were a nightmare for stuff like that. Anything to make us laugh.....

7 hours ago, STILES said:

I do agree with your sentiment though, there's nothing BBQgiraffe could be doing on his laptop that's more important than Doomworld while at school.  He should try putting a small party browser-installation-executable on a flash drive and installing it that way so he can avoid being blocked on Google all together.

actually you can't run standard Windows or Linux programs on these things, they use ChromeOs, however earlier I did find a thing called Bit Browser, it can't get past the standard webblocker but it lets you open websites if your teacher locked your device

I don't think any of that is reasonable, I grew up during a time where most of the internet was allowed to be used as a resource. We went to Kongregate, we had games like Icy Tower, but these school systems really need to emphasize time management better. Especially if they're supposedly preparing you for college. What I mean, none of that stuff is necessarily bad if you do it in moderation and still get your work done. Students should be rewarded for their hard work, not punished.

But public schools are a joke here in America. I dropped out as soon as I could and haven't looked back. It's just bs bureaucratic nonsense at this point, no wonder we're being outperformed by other countries.

Oh finger pistols on the playground when you're 7 years old? NO THAT'S BAD, YOU CAN'T DO THAT

Ahem, sorry, I had flashbacks.

Edited by F_SKY Fitzgerald

My school blocked it too for "being a forum based website" which is bullshit because that implies that a lot of websites are bad but ok. I just go to Google Translate, put the language to Spanish to English, and type in the url. You cant see any photos and the whole website is text but after a few minutes you can tell what everything is.

Just now, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

I just go to Google Translate

i do that at work whenever they block a site i like