Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moo Moo Armageddon

help with my map

Question

i was making a doom wad an6d tryed to play it i6n gzdoom. it just goes the the first doom 2 level help?

(dont mind the numbers its just a stupid keyboard glitch)

edit: it doesn't work in gzdoom but works when i test it in doom builder

Edited by Cut The Chit Chat YT : I'm bad at grammar

14 answers to this question

There is no problem with opening the pwad directly with GZDoom. Just drag the pwad file on top of the GZDoom exe or icon.

So, your pwad has MAP01, MAP02 and MAP03. These are very rudimentary maps with a few common mistakes, but that is expected with first maps. Practice some more and soon you will get the hang of mapping.

The best advice I can give you right now is to take apart some pwads made by others and see how they constructed the maps. One famous pwad of old is Ledges, which is a good practice pwad. Try to improve on it by adding more detail, align textures, change the layout, etc. Use a resource pack like RETRES.WAD to change textures and monsters.

Yi4maiE.png

Some excellent reading material is available in the tutorials section.

{Addendum}

Since you are using Doombuilder2 (probably version r1715), which in itself is not a bad thing, I should point out that GZDoom Builder Bugfix is the latest iteration in the Doombuilder family. While the GUI layout has more icons , it also has added features which make the mapping process a bit easier. Since you are using the 32bit version I would suggest to stay with a version before r3018, or for installing a version after r3018 (32bit or 64bit if your computer can handle 64bit apps) see my tutorial about how to do that.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Have you actually placed your map in the slot 01? Your map name in the configuration page of your wad (default key F2 in gzdb) has to be MAP01 

You are testing the wad from the Doom Builder right ? Or are you saving it and loading it later ? 

If it is the second try to use SLADE 3 in order to check if the map is actually stored and What lump name it has (if it is EXMX then it wont run on DOOM 2)

6 minutes ago, Cut The Chit Chat YT said:

im using gzdoom 

And that doesn't answer any of my questions at all. 

Are you testing your map using Doom builder (launch gzdoom with your map loaded from it) ? Or loading it directly to gzdoom ?

1 minute ago, Cut The Chit Chat YT said:

im loading it directly into gzdoom. it work when i use doom builder

Then as I said before open it with SLADE 3 and see what it has

If you test the map from the editor it will play the map you are working on with whatever engine you set the editor to, regardless of the map slot. What you have to be aware of is that you need to specify the map slot at the start of the editing session.

IFaIvfm.png

If it is not MAP01 then, of course, after saving the map and playing it with GZDoom, it is hardly surprising that GZDoom will start with the original MAP01. To play your map then you have to warp to it.

If it is MAP01 then you have a definite problem, in which case I suggest you upload the map for perusal.