Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UndeadRyker

CABIN: An Apocalyptic Nightmare

It is an honor that you have made a horror wad based on my melee revenants, I have played the maps using Zandronum, and then I played them using prboom-plus (do not notice difference). The first map is a good horror experience, the enemies are strong, but the good thing is that they do not resist many shots. On the second map, I tried many times until I realized that "I was doomed"

Thank you all for your support and feedback. It means a lot to me! I'm proud to announce v1.1 that has a couple bug fixes and changes made to the map and feel, after @HAK3180 kindly tested the maps and gave his feedback back to me after being asked. I hope you enjoy and have a happy Halloween!

Played on Crispy Doom, UV. General thoughts:

Spoiler

Nice atmosphere and mood. I found it funny that in the story it says doomguy used weapons to "cut down trees", yet he could have just sawed them :P. Well unless he lost his chainsaw somewhere, and that there's one in the first map would explain it.

The new monster is presented in a "big kick in the dick" way, it's scary and physically fits better than the og revenant, but I don't agree with its ability to shoot the moment it sees you, coupled with the high speed of the projectile (2x or 3x faster than arachnotron's plasma!!) it's a guaranteed green ball in the face in close quarters if you A. don't retreat immediately behind cover or B. one-shot it before it shoots. Since this is a merely narrative-based wad with just the revenant variant chasing doomguy in the woods I think it's okay if that's what you intended. Didn't try chainsawing one but from what I could see they can insta-punch you so it might not be useful?. The big horde is hilarious, staying in the house is the safe strategy as they quickly get inside and there's enough room to grind them with quick sidestepping, probably tanking a few stray green balls, those are sooo fast. 

Like 00_Zombie_00, it took me a few attempts to get the idea in map 02, the IoS BGM really fits. 

The titlepic and recolored STBAR are neat. Good stuff overall.

Issues:

- Misaligned texture here.

- Two revenants of the final horde in map 01 used the teleport back into the woods. You might want to put monster block lines on that teleport.

V1.2 is out!

On 10/31/2019 at 6:46 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

Played on Crispy Doom, UV. General thoughts...

Thank you so much! I'm glad it was a good experience for you, and the story was a last-minute afterthought but every little detail is intentional, aside from the issues in the map you noticed. The story is hopefully both semi-goofy, serious, spooky, and immersive, ha. 

As for the extra maps, I have nothing planned at the moment but the possibility of new maps isn't out of the question! But I will say I have been toying around with a few ideas and a feature I'm experimenting with right now as we speak. I'm not sure if I should give away what I have in mind for the ammo types without causing more confusion or changing its purpose I'm thinking of before it actually releases, if it does.

The new v1.2 update I just released should fix these issues you mentioned along with extra stuff sprinkled in to make things more interesting! As for the chainsaw...

Spoiler

they don't fear it.

Very good work :) Absolutely bloody terrifying - I picked this up for a casual play and had the wits scared out of me. The skeletons are overpowered but I think that's exactly what you were going for, keeping the player on edge and having to react very quickly in a maze of them. Here's my playthrough! (Unfortunately I had the wrong window open for reading notes during the playthrough so I may misattribute a couple of things...)

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

http://bit.ly/sendlawyers
https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2

CABIN 2020 (AKA Cabin v1.3) is now OUT! Check the OP for a list of changes and the new version!

Woah. It's really been almost a year since CABIN was released... This update may have changed just one number, but I guarantee you it's a heftier update than you think! Also, little disclaimer, There will probably be a small update or two in late November.  I'm extremely tired right now so I'll come back here once again later, but I'm proud that it's out now and I think I'm beginning to call CABIN a finished WAD. Thanks again to everyone for their support, and I'm looking to hear your feedback and have a spooky Halloween! :)

Full OST stream premiering in 20 minutes as of this post!

Working on the OST for this mod was an absolute blast. I love writing spooky, dark ambient music and it seems to come extremely naturally to me.

Enjoy the mod and see you at the premiere!

There was a hotfix (v1.3.1) released today! When CABIN got renovated, some stuff was broken in the process but it's fixed now!
I'm glad to hear this update was well-received! Thanks everyone! It was also a blast working on this project too. CABIN is a nice little experimental playground for me. :)

31 minutes ago, UndeadRyker said:

There was a hotfix (v1.3.1) released today! When CABIN got renovated, some stuff was broken in the process but it's fixed now!
I'm glad to hear this update was well-received! Thanks everyone! It was also a blast working on this project too. CABIN is a nice little experimental playground for me. :)

Perfect for today!

Thanks for this, pal!

Hey everyone, just released a major update to CABIN! I expect this to be its final update, and if everything goes well for the next month (AKA no major bug reports), I'll submit it to idgames on December 1st. The TLDR of this update is that it contains various polishing and improvements, ESPECIALLY for speedrunners. Have a very Happy Halloween!

v1.4 release notes

Spoiler
  • All maps have been updated and optimized to make better use of visplanes, difficulties, and use ZokumBSP. Also contains texture alignment fixes.
  • ZScript is used (except for the player and weapons) to make CABIN more mod-friendly for other mods for GZDoom.
  • Added new statusbar face, courtesy of Ultra64.
  • Added OPTIONS for DSDA-Doom. It *should* be the equivalent of -complevel 2.
  • Replaced old par times with real, actual par times by myself. The ones up until now were placeholder and I forgot to change them.
  • MAP01: Red door should now be more visible.
  • MAP01: The supershotgun is no longer available. MAP01 was too much of a crash-course of the entire premise of the mod.
  • MAP01: Can now be officially UV-MAXed. The Forsaken at the very end are invulnerable and don't count towards kills.
  • MAP02: Replaced secret photograph.
  • MAP02: Added a secret.
  • MAP02: Fixed a Forsaken being in a part of the maze by mistake.
  • MAP03: Moved the berserk pack in singleplayer to be on top of the exit trigger to guarantee players don't accidentally fuck themselves over by grabbing it too early if they get damaged in any way afterwards.
  • MAP03: The return teleporter out of the small hedge maze is now hidden until the player traverses closer to the button they need to press first to prevent players mistakenly teleporting out of the maze too early.
  • MAP04: Fixed awkward sky by the red skull key.
  • MAP04: Added several teleporter safeguards at the very beginning to ensure no teleport lines get skipped because the player was moving too fast.
  • MAP05: Torches no longer cast light on ceilings that appear too high.
  • MAP05: Lighting consistency fixes.
  • MAP06: The first teleporter now teleports directly to the boss.
  • MAP06: Alastor's arena is now more dangerous. There are no Forsaken to fight alongside with Alastor, but there is little to no health now (except in HMP and below).
  • MAP06: Fixed the candle at the start only appearing in UV. It now appears in all difficulties.
  • Alastor: Various changes. Slightly decreased health, but its projectiles are much more dangerous.
  • Lightmodes are no longer forced in GZDoom.
  • Added a pitch-black options background for Crispy Doom.
  • Fixed the boss opening sound being more than 11025hz.
  • Added useful quit messages for GZDoom because why not?
  • Added a blacklist for Universal Gore.
  • The statusbar borders are pitch-black and no longer uses GRNROCK.
  • The DEHACKED is now in a human-readable format thanks to DECOHACK. This also means that there may be some slight changes to gameplay strings, and messages, but shouldn't be too drastic. Making levels for CABIN is also now marginally much easier as things are now properly sorted and labeled for programs like Doom Builder.

Edited by UndeadRyker : Fixed date typo.

8 hours ago, UndeadRyker said:

Added OPTIONS for DSDA-Doom. It *should* be the equivalent of -complevel 2.

If you want to force -complevel 2, it may be simpler to take advantage of the COMPLVL lump - simply add a lump named COMPLVL to your wad with "vanilla" (without quotes) as its content. But using the OPTIONS lump is a good move since not all ports support COMPLVL yet.

Bit of a late fanfare, but it's my pleasure to announce that CABIN is now officially on idgames. It's now 100% complete and has no major issues worth fixing (please don't force me to eat those words). Since I consider it completed, there will be no updates to it from here on out, so speedrunners are now free to try a stroller run of CABIN without worrying about me possibly updating the wad and causing a demo desync. :^)

Check it out!:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/a-c/cabin

And there's a GitLab mirror too (the one and only version is identical to the idgames release):

https://gitlab.com/unryker/cabin/-/releases

Thanks for playing, and you all have my early Merry Christmas wishes!