Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

PS2 Backwards Compatibility...

I’m trading in my old PSX and 12 games for a PS2. Now, I’m told that The PS2 is Backwards Compatible, and I was wondering, Will it have any negative affects on PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom? I ask because I’ve used PSX doom on an emulator and it had some strange effects… dose the PS2 Have any advantages for playing doom (Anti analyzing, better sound quality and the like)?

If you're asking if the PS2 will make your PS games seem better, then then answer is no. It will (usually) play all of you PS games without any troubles, but that's about it. I doubt that you'll have any trouble getting your Doom games to run on the PS2... I've only had one game present any compatability issues out of the dozen games I've run on mine. Just in case, though, you might want to make sure there aren't any problems before you sell the original PS, ya know?

There are no side effects. However, in the PS2's system settings (Turn it on without a disc in), you can turn Faster Load Times and Slightly Smoother Textures on.

And also you can now have access to the Digital audio output, which I now use exclusively. Doom works 100% perfect on PS2 and can be made to look slightly better with the texture-smoothing setting. Barely noticable on Doom though. Much more noticable on Vagrant Story.

I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON I AM A MORON

My report: The PS2

Well, on Saturday I Finally grabbed my new PS2. I got a PS2 over an Xbox and game cube for a few reasons, for one, I still have PSX games that I Still enjoy playing (Whipeout, Whipeout 2097, Whip3out, Medal of Honour, Medal of Honour: underground, and of corse, PSX Doom and Final Doom!) I also wanted a DVD player, If I could, I would have got an Xbox, but the only why I could afford the PS2 was to trade my old PSX and 12 games (EB, I could kiss you!) which nocked the price down to $99 (from $299 AUS). I also grabbed dead or alive 2 (they were out of GT A-spec), which is a laugh. But I had lots of fun mucking about with the Backwards Compatibility.

First off, I tried Medal of Honour with fast disk speed and smooth textures. The improvements weren’t Spectacular, but there where some very nice features. The Smooth Textures are very nice! Not only that, but there is less warping (Which was very heavy in MOH). Also the sound quality has improved, and I’m unsure, but I think it’s running a pinch smoother to. Loads faster too (but I never really had a problem with loading times).

Next game, Doom! With smooth textures and fast disk speed on, It looks a bit like glboom, but with coloured lighting. It certainly run smoother, and the higher sound quality really stands out here! It’s fantastic! If I ever need an excuse to finish doom PSX over, this is it!

I am happy with my decision to go with the PS2. Hopefully, my younger sisters wont break it before I’ve got some of the games I’ve been eyeing for the last 3 years. I need to test out the DVD player too.

Sephiroth said:

good luck with the PS2, hope u dont have to return it after a month of use. honestly if u get rid of all your PS1 games i would grb a game cube, better deal. however if u dont get rid of all the games get the PS2, even better on trade in cause it is not worth the 200 price tag. the PS2 will not make ANY older games look better, as said before me. i have never know of any porblems playing playstation games, unless u got imports or games with a ton of scratches. the PS2 is weak, it breaks extreamly easy, so watch out. even a falling cd case can damage it, ask my best friend's brother, and dont leave it one mopre than a few hours, ask another of my friends, left it on for 5 hours and when he and i returned it had died. also old games, very old games will still run the same. no speed boosts here, also many imports will not work, but why the hell would anyone want an import game if that same game is in the US

Sorry, but I suspect you are a Nintendo fanboy. On top of making the Ps2 out to be as horrid as possible (which it isn't that bad) you pimped the Gamecube. That's a Nintendo fanboy tactic.

Since when is a PS2 $299 in Aus? It's fucking $399 here...DAMMORT

Yeah, the backwards compat. feature was a nice idea...you can play all your existing games and yeah...it fucking rules.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Since when is a PS2 $299 in Aus? It's fucking $399 here...DAMMORT

PS2 only costs $199.00 where I am. Price went down a little while ago.

All of my old PS games work on my PS2.

FirebrandX said:

Sorry, but I suspect you are a Nintendo fanboy. On top of making the Ps2 out to be as horrid as possible (which it isn't that bad) you pimped the Gamecube. That's a Nintendo fanboy tactic.

I sort of agree with you but his name(Sephiroth) is a PS1 Final fantasy character name.

Sephiroth is a character with universal appeal. You don't have to be a Sony fan to like him. Besides, I seriously doubt a Sony fan would trash the PS2 and then pimp the Gamecube.

FirebrandX said:

Sephiroth is a character with universal appeal. You don't have to be a Sony fan to like him. Besides, I seriously doubt a Sony fan would trash the PS2 and then pimp the Gamecube.

I guess your right. I would never ever trash the PS2. EVER!

Ct_red_pants said:

Heh. sorry, yeah, your right. it is $399.

Hmm. I am in Utah of U.S. and the price is down to $199.00. Its been that way since May, I think.

If you look up at what sephiroth once said, he has now redeemed himself. We can all forgive him for Bad mouthing the PS2 now.

i dont know why the fuck i got that for saying why i dont like the PS2!! shows the maturity of some of the people here. honestly i am not as impressed with any of the systems out and i support the PC over any of them. I just feel the PS2 falls short in terms on construction. second i dont really support the GC, but i would over the PS2, and I bough the X-box because my brother already owned the GC. if the PS2 was cheaper, like $100, it would be a good buy. the construction is shoty and it is over priced compared to the rest. even in an electronics class they showed us badly made home electronics, guess what was on the list of 5, the PS2 had several bad solders and other flaws. and like i said everyone i know has had to have it returned and repaired at least once. there is only 1 great games system and that is the PC, nothing else(dont even say a mac)

either way i dont know why any of the mods would do that to a post simply because i dont like a product, and i was not flaming. if u want the forums to be a nice place get rid of bad post and keep one with valid statments.

PS2 is a piece of shit, nowhere near as powerful as it was hyped to be. The defect in the current model is a lense that only lasts about a month more than the three month warranty.

Sony has screwed up the console industry so bad. Their systems do get some good games, but I'll take a Sega OR Nintendo OR NEC system over Sony anytime. My NES,SNES,Saturn, and Dreamcast collections kill my PSX collection. My Genesis and TG16 collections are a bit lacking though (but it's not their fault).

And Microsoft is just a bigger Sony, possible way worse. When their system fails, they just pour more money into it and buy up companies. Also they switched to lower quality video components and removed the processor's cooling fan to save on production costs.

None of the three newest consoles have interested me enough to buy them and last I heard the discontinued Dreamcast was still outselling X-Box in Japan. If I was willing to blow the money I'd pick GC followed by PS2. It's shame that Sega's been in debt since the Genesis days and couldn't continue support for Dreamcast. The recently resurrected SNK (now called Playmore in JPN) is still supporting it though (rereleased Last Blade 2 and Garou, released KOF2000, and KOF2001 is coming). Treasure released Ikaruga for DC a few months ago.

I only have a PS1. =P But I'm going to get a PS2 sooner or later. Being able to play my old games is one of the deciding factors. The DVD player is a plus. And some great games are for the PS2. I want to get Kingdom Hearts, w00t. Sephiroth is in it. =D

As for the other systems, I don't want a Gamecube. Has dumb games and it looks like it was made by Playschool. Not that that bugs me a lot, just wanted to point it out.

Be neat to have an X-box, but if I had a choice, I'd take the PS2.

i wish sony did a much better job, the PS1 is great. sega also had a good thing going, if it had a hard drive it would have rocked. it was basicly a very good game system that doubled as webTV, also games are easily ported to it. i got doom for mine, a bit funcky but it works.

there are a number of good games for the PS2 but if that same game is out for PC, get the PC version.

sephiroth in that kingdom hearts game!! i feel sorry fro him, being around those disney ass rapers. honestly i bet it would be alright if u got rid of the disney part. i hate disney, walt disney was a very nasty person(he agreed with and supported hitler, in secret after 1940) infact there are many older disney cartoons with refernces to nazi ideas and the nazis them selvs

Sephiroth said:

sephiroth in that kingdom hearts game!! i feel sorry fro him, being around those disney ass rapers.

Regardless of the Disney characters the game was pretty much made for, it is very nice, has a cool battle system, and... Sephiroth is in it. =P I've heard from a friend that it's a very good game. The gameplay is more imporant than the fact that a dumb person was the original creator of the characters that happen to be in the game.

Gokuma said:

PS2 is a piece of shit, nowhere near as powerful as it was hyped to be.

Since when did they hype it up that much? They hyped up how much some of the games rule, and that's about it. Also remember : The PS2 technology is well over 2 years old now...back then that was powerful. Still is. Well, it may seem crap and unpowerful, but the games for it fucking rule, in terms of graphics. Well some.

Sephiroth said:

there is only 1 great games system and that is the PC, nothing else(dont even say a mac)

Amen to that statement but I will always be a Loyal PS2 fan the way some people are to their country. Even when the country sucks there is always something beautiful in the eyes of the patriot. I meant no real offence to you. If I thought that I was going to hurt you that bad I never would have joined in. I humbly apologize and hope you except my apology. However, I did mean to offend the Nintendo. LOL! :) Oh! Not the origional nintendo. Just the games on game cube.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

but the games for it fucking rule

Oh yes! The games do rule. I just bought the new Contra. FUCKING BAD ASS GAME!!! Very hard though. Just like the good old days. Absolute nostalgic bliss!

Archaeo, or whatever your nick is, quit double-posting. Say what you have to say in a single post, and wait for someone to reply before you post again.

If you don't know how to do that, there's a little 'edit' link in the bottom left, when you're viewing your post. Click that, and add your comments via that.

[edit]There. I fixed the offending posts for you. Don't let it happen again.[/edit]

Katarhyne said:

Archaeo, or whatever your nick is, quit double-posting. Say what you have to say in a single post, and wait for someone to reply before you post again.

If you don't know how to do that, there's a little 'edit' link in the bottom left, when you're viewing your post. Click that, and add your comments via that.

[edit]There. I fixed the offending posts for you. Don't let it happen again.[/edit]

He he heh! Thank you. I owe you one. I guess I had something else to say and just couldn’t hold my horsys. :P

Hey Kat. Katsbox.com is weird!

Kat- How did you do that with my two last post replies? I tried and botched it up somehow.

COOL! I just noticed how many times I did that. Who knows how many times I’ve ben doing that this past month.

All I did was click "edit" on your second post, select and cut the text from that one, delete it, edit the first post, and paste the text from the second post at the bottom of the first one. It's pretty simple, methinks.

Katarhyne said:

All I did was click "edit" on your second post, select and cut the text from that one, delete it, edit the first post, and paste the text from the second post at the bottom of the first one. It's pretty simple, methinks.

It gives me this mesage:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to.
2.Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
3.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Or something like that.

Oh well. It doesn’t mater any more now that its all over with. Proceed with the post everyone. Ugh! I just got sick of seeing my replies.