Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Do anyone play on Nightmare seriously?

I mean, it was literally added as a joke difficulty/ response to some weirdos complained Doom is easy on UV.

But it is a featured difficulty on Doom speedrunning, so beside that, do any of you play on Nightmare regularly?

Well, the original Doom is easy on UV... and yea, it was originally added as a joke difficulty.

But, on topic, regularly/casually? No, although I did make some NM demos a while ago. It isn't fair, the vast majority of wads don't take it into account either, and has a weird addicting effect in the sense that once you get used to it, regular speed will feel just too slow in comparison. After I went through UD on UV-fast many months ago, it took me over a month to get used to the normal speed again as it almost bored me.

Nightmare? No. Respawning basically makes the game into a speedrun, which I have absolutely no interest in.

But Nightmare is also the reason -fast exists, which is the only way I've been playing Doom for many years now. Without it, the enemies pose little to no threat. -fast is what makes the game fun to me.

When that Shotgun Guy doesn't hesitate to smack you immediately the moment he sees you, when enemies just don't walk around harmlessly all the time. When projectiles move faster than a snail. When Demons and Spectres are an actual enemy and not just a useless block of 150 HP on legs. That is when I have fun in Doom.

I once tried E1M1 and died in the second room. Never tried again, I prefer things stay dead forever and mostly moving a bit if possible instead of becoming a static turret. Fast parameter though, makes some stuff -pinkies- hilarious, and cacodemons are scary, yet they all barely walk so, only for giggles.

I like sometimes playing on "Nightmare !" on wads I know very well.

A lot of wads become too easy on UV when you know all the maps and in consequence , boring. Nightmare gives a certain replayabiliy according to me.

I used to speedrun on Nightmare, except on console not on PC. Glad I did it at the time but have no intention of ever returning to that difficulty 

You know I have tried it and manage to reach E1M7 (If I remember right). But then I checked the achievements on BFG and realized I can play it on UV instead.

The only map I've ever successfully beaten on Nightmare is Entryway. There are definitely players for whom UV is flat out boring, but they're pretty much just the god-tier speedrunners.

I always try to UV-Max the maps I play and Nightmare directly conflicts with that goal due to respawning enemies. Same deal with Duke3D's 4th difficulty. If you know the maps and enjoy getting to the exit as quickly as possible then it might be fun. As for -fast monsters, I much prefer the standard enemy behaviour and would rather play a more challenging set of maps with standard monsters over easier ones with -fast monsters.

I do, for the challenge. I haven't succeeded more than a few stray maps so far, but w/e. I see it as a challenge, not as added fun, if that distinction makes sense. Normally I just play UV no matter how hard/easy the map set, because that's what I feel DOOM should feel like.

NM is your coach pushing you above and beyond in the after hours. Think Simmons from Whiplash...

While this is not the common way I play Doom, completing some non-trivial maps can be VERY satisfying. In my case, these were Bloody Realms of Hell and E2M3 from 2002:ADO. I started just out curiosity, inspired by Eugene Kapustin (I had thought that being a keyboarder was such a handicap that the NM thing made no sense at all, I was wrong, you may also check out SAV88's insane NM demos, such as MM2 MAP25). So all this is an occasional challenge, very tense and pretty rewarding.

5 hours ago, CinnamonKilljoy said:

I do, for the challenge. I haven't succeeded more than a few stray maps so far, but w/e. I see it as a challenge, not as added fun, if that distinction makes sense. Normally I just play UV no matter how hard/easy the map set, because that's what I feel DOOM should feel like.

NM is your coach pushing you above and beyond in the after hours. Think Simmons from Whiplash...

That is a great way to put it.

For me the challenge and test of my skill is the fun part. Nightmare forces me to think differently which in turn breathes fresh life into a game I've played a thousand times already. I still haven't completed any specific episode yet (E1M5 is my hangup at this point), but I come back every now and then to see if I can make progress at it.

14 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I always try to UV-Max the maps I play and Nightmare directly conflicts with that goal due to respawning enemies. Same deal with Duke3D's 4th difficulty.

Duke 3D is different because the respawning has counterplay. You can just explode the corpses and enemies won't respawn anymore. I finished all episodes of Duke 3D on Damn I'm Good and it was not that much more challenging. You just have to group enemies more and reserve pipebombs almost exclusively for exploding corpses.

Also use Devastator on Octa-Brains (it always one-shots them and destroys their bodies). Most enemies in Duke 3D are also extremely fragile and ammo is abundant.

Seriously, most of the Duke enemy roster can just be killed with 2 shotgun shots.

I finished Episode 1 through 3 of UD but forget ever trying in E4. |:

That said, it mostly ended up being a "how the hell should I go about speedrunning this one..." situation so it wasn't fun. Playing DOOM on UV with -Fast enabled could be interesting though...

I mean I'll sometimes play on Nightmare for the heck of it. 

A current mapping trend appears to be tightly balanced for UV; don't even think about Nightmare.  So not much incentive to try it these days.

My memory is too scattered to remember but there may have been some releases where the difficulties are switched up such that UV is not the hardest of the main 3 settings as to make Nightmare at least nominally approachable.  If such releases exist, I suspect they number in the single digits.

i would like to see a map made for nightmare mode.  arguably a lot of maps play rather well in NM.  But maybe some RE inspired level that abused doors that monsters cannot open?  and has single-use and re-usable traps?

I think a properly balanced NM level would make you think the backpack is super essential.  And a computer map should really point you in the right direction.