Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skootroot

Is there anyway to make cave/corridor maps easier to navigate through?

I'm currently working on a wad based in a cave/mineshaft type map but then opens up into bigger areas. I put some light sources around some areas in the small corridor areas like torches and small lava pits to add some lights but I don't know if it helps a lot though. How can I make it so it won't confuse the player or so you can tell where to go?

distinct visual areas? distinct visual areas!

Take MAP19:Remind from JPCP. It's got various small holes in the walls with bits of debris in it, each one distinct to help with navigation (i think). So instead of plain lava pits, place some with corpses on rocks floating in the lava! Additionally, you said that it opens up in to bigger areas, yeah? place the tunnels with windows leading in to the main room! it's a lot easier to navigate if you know where you are in relation to the bigger areas, and windows certainly help with that.

Advanced issues found

2 minutes ago, Tartlman said:

Additionally, you said that it opens up in to bigger areas, yeah? place the tunnels with windows leading in to the main room!

Oh yeah, good idea! I'll add some more detail to the pits then. Thanks for the suggestions!