Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HLRaven

What is stuff that you hated but now love?

First topic here,

Mine would be the gloves, i didn't really like the gloves and i wanted them to be black to look cool and what not. I started to love the default gloves and just sticked with them afterwards

Well, for one, I used to hate Barrels O' Fun, but now I really like it. I also used to hate The Chasm, but now I consider it one of the best maps from the IWADs.

I didn't like plutonia when I played it for the first time a few years ago.

But now, I consider it the best 90's wad. Other great 90's wads like Memento Mori 2 or Requiem don't hold a candle against Plutonia.

That's a tough question but probably the city levels in D2. I was skipping them for very long time like first 2 years of playing doom. But these days i dont have problem with them anymore and actually quite enjoying them yet for me they are still the weakest maps From D1&D2

Since i was a kid, i played Original Doom (not Ultimate) back and fort in all the difficult settings, except nightmare. I really loved the idea of episodes and secret levels within them (and some of the doom clones of that time: Duke3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Heretic, etc. thinked the same). When i played Doom 2 for the very first time, i hated it non-episodic nature, then, through the years, it becomes apparent that, albeit not explicit, Doom 2 had a somewhat episode format... but still, only two secret levels is not enough compared to the (when it goes Ultimate) 4 secret levels of Ultimate Doom.
Now i'm cool with that, and i wish Ultimate Doom could have the monsters of Doom 2 in vanilla, then, it would be the best of the two world. Enhanced monster roster and episodic format. That would be totally awesome for vanilla. But well, dreaming is free :P.

i used to hate a lot of doom 2 monsters like revs, arches and PEs but now i find myself really missing them when they are not around. in the weapons department blowing myself up with the RL used to anger me, now it just makes me laugh.

I used to not like the spine textures in Map28: The Spirit World where you enter that hallway and they're scrolling. The other gore in the game never bothered me. I didn't find it nauseating, but when you're moving and the walls are scrolling with those spines, I hated playing through there. It just felt fucking weird.. Now I find all that stuff cool.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Revenants and Archviles. Then I got gudTM, and now I understand why mappers use them all the time, especially the former.

I used to also hate the 5th and 6th episodes of Scythe 2. Then I tried playing them after I improved my skill considerably (thanks Hell Revealed!), and now I love them :D 5th episode is actually my favourite episode of Scythe 2 now.

21 minutes ago, 3saster said:

Revenants and Archviles. Then I got gudTM, and now I understand why mappers use them all the time, especially the former.

I used to also hate the 5th and 6th episodes of Scythe 2. Then I tried playing them after I improved my skill considerably (thanks Hell Revealed!), and now I love them :D 5th episode is actually my favourite episode of Scythe 2 now.

Personally, I beat Hell Revealed again not too long ago and didn't have much trouble with it.  That 5th episode of Scythe 2 is still so extreme for me that I've never beaten it.  Even Going Down in its entirety seems easy in comparison.

To answer OP's question, I used to hate E1M7 and E2M5 cause I used to always get lost in them, but now I like both (especially that plasma rifle secret room in E2M5.)

1 hour ago, Doom_Dude said:

I used to not like the spine textures in Map28: The Spirit World where you enter that hallway and they're scrolling.

Speaking of that hallway, I used to hate the alcoves with the aracnotrons hidden by false walls, I used to think that was really unfair and low, but these days, I still do. 

The vanilla game. A few years ago, I only played with Brutal Doom and considered the vanilla game unplayable. Fast forward to now and I can't imagine playing with freelook. Were it not for the mods I'm using (Smooth Doom, etc. all vanilla-friendly stuff) I'd probably switch over to PrBoom+. Hell, I've been playing some Chocolate recently (I got a MacBook for school and couldn't get Pr to work on it) and I'm even starting to appreciate not being able to see shit that's more than five feet in front of you. 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:30 PM, Diabolución said:

Pistol starting maps. In the past I really disliked the idea of losing all inventory, including that precious blue armour and boost health I had reserved for the next map at all costs, but now I cannot conceive another way of playing.

So much this. It messes with me in some WADs where they design for *not* pistol starting.

Also, it took me a while to appreciate vanilla E2 and E4 (always loved E1 to bits).

Things like Doom the Way Id did It and Ultimate Doom in Name Only kind of illustrate how strong E1 is though (few maps are as good) whereas they highlight how much E2+ (especially E3) can be improved.

TNT grew on me after quite some time, but it's a hard earned love. Loved UD and Plutonia from the start. D2, strangely the one I liked the most when I started Dooming 18 years ago, is the IWAD I dislike the most now.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:21 PM, CinnamonKilljoy said:

So much this. It messes with me in some WADs where they design for *not* pistol starting.

Also, it took me a while to appreciate vanilla E2 and E4 (always loved E1 to bits).

Things like Doom the Way Id did It and Ultimate Doom in Name Only kind of illustrate how strong E1 is though (few maps are as good) whereas they highlight how much E2+ (especially E3) can be improved.

TNT grew on me after quite some time, but it's a hard earned love. Loved UD and Plutonia from the start. D2, strangely the one I liked the most when I started Dooming 18 years ago, is the IWAD I dislike the most now.

I've gotten so used to pistol-starting that I wrote my own autoloaded mod for GZDoom that has a toggleable setting for automatic pistol starting (so you can play smoothly while still having pistol starts for every level). It's toggleable though, since some PWADs I prefer to play continuous, namely episodic mapsets like Scythe 2 or Valiant.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:30 PM, Diabolución said:

Pistol starting maps. In the past I really disliked the idea of losing all inventory, including that precious blue armour and boost health I had reserved for the next map at all costs, but now I cannot conceive another way of playing.

Back this 100%. Seemed so stupid to me at first, but then I made the change about a month or so ago and I'll never go back.

I used to hate Archviles, they were too overpowered my younger self thought. Now I love them because they look sick and are still terrifying to fight, especially in Hunted and Arch-Violence.

Episode 4 (Thy Flesh Consumed) of The Ultimate Doom. I've been playing it a lot more lately and i actually quite like it. I still don't like how it is arranged though. By that i mean it's not arranged from the easiest map to the hardest map like Doom is (more or less). I suppose by the time that it came out people were supposed to be used to playing Doom so it didn't matter although maybe id Software didn't take into account new Doom players? It could also be the fact that it's just a bunch of separate maps made by different people and shoved into an episode. You will notice a difference in difficulty when you come out of EP 3 and start playing EP 4, especially on UV difficulty or higher.

I don't remember why, but for some ungodly reason, I hated the soundtrack. Now I think its one of the best in all of gaming, right next to Quake 2's.

pistol starting. I used to hate doing it since it made some map starts really hard, but now it's the only way i play (unless i'm playing with mods).

Archviles. Thank skillsaw for making me love 'em.

still hate revenants with a passion though, fucking bullshit ass 80 damage homing missile asdjfgkjbdghdfkgghd

Doom 2's map 19, The Citadel. I used to hate everything about it when I was young. I was stuck at it for the longest time, unable to find a single key. Took me a while to complete it on my own. (I refused to look it up.) Now that I look back at it, I find it rather enjoyable and it became one of my favorite maps.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:23 AM, Pokemanic33 said:

Were it not for the mods I'm using (Smooth Doom, etc. all vanilla-friendly stuff) I'd probably switch over to PrBoom+.

There were a few attempts of implementing Smooth Doom in limit-removing source ports/vanilla.

For example: This (which is 100% demo compatible), this and this.

In response to the OP, MAP24 of Doom 2 of course.

Used to hate it because of thin ledges - obviously, and it seems out of place, but looking back, it improves my movement skills immensely. Still don't love it tho, just like it.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

DOOM 2 maps.  I liked the first few levels, but then it seemed like the maps just felt rushed compared to vanilla DOOM .