Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Exporting scale-accurate map images via slade for use as a backdrop

Let's say I want to export a map image from slade, and then bring said image into Doom Builder as a backdrop and have it match to scale with the map. How do I do this? Imagine I am trying to trace over the image to make a perfect recreation.

The only way I can see to do this would be to take a screenshot with the grid at an easily recognizable setting like 64x64 for relative comparison. I've done this before with blueprints but never .wad images.

In doombuilder2's grid settings is where you set and change the scale/offset of the background picture, and in my experience the only way to get it to line up properly is trial and error. That's where the 64 grid setting might help, also I would try keeping the scale and offset numbers in multiples of 8 in an attempt to get it to match. Hope this answers your question.

Unless the scale is perfect this approach is useless. Offset I can deal with, but if the scale is wrong compensating is more trouble than it is worth. I'm not giving up on an answer though.

this is almost pathological. what circumstance would get you access to a slade screenshot, but not the wad itself that you could just load into doombuilder?

No magic bullet here, I'm afraid. too many variables wrt how slade scales automap pictures based on map size, image resolution, and the limitations of how db overlays images. Theoretically, given infinite time and patience you could tweak the scale and offset of an arbitrary pic to be basically-coordinate-perfect. However, db2/dbx/(presumably gzdbbf?) decided to quantize image overlay scaling factors to integer percentages instead of actual floats, so this could very well be impossible to get accurate enough to your satisfaction.

There was a wad2svg tool somewhere. With this you might be able to export a certain .wad to the vector based .svg which you can then scale down to the millimeter (mini-inch?!) and export as a picture.

You can add little markers to the map before taking the map image. Like having two 128-length linedefs crossing at the [0, 0] point, and then adding little 64x64 squares at some empty spots in the corner at a known power of 2.

I suppose you already know about SLADE's map image scaling options. Using -1 width and -1 height will give you 1 pixel per map unit.

19 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Let's say I want to export a map image from slade, and then bring said image into Doom Builder as a backdrop and have it match to scale with the map. How do I do this? Imagine I am trying to trace over the image to make a perfect recreation.

I assume that you want an image of a map from a game which Slade3 can load but not any of the DB2 family. Else I am as perplexed as Ribbiks.

There is a tutorial on the Slade3 WIKI about map image.

Alright, people missing the point of the example here. I guess I should have figured someone would know how to do this by now if it were that easy.

Maybe you can make an image of the Doom Builder grid and then add it as a translucent layer in your image editing software? Then you could stretch the map image to the proper size before you import it into Doom Builder.

4 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Alright, people missing the point of the example here. I guess I should have figured someone would know how to do this by now if it were that easy.

So that we are not missing the point.

It would be exceedingly helpful if you would point us to which map you stuck into Slade3!

I suppose the idea is to copy the layout but without having to also copy the rest -- texture choices, sector heights, etc.

You know like that map contest a few years ago where people had to take E1M7's layout and then build an entire new level out of it. It gave us maps like dead.wire.