Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skinpack

Trent Reznor no longer looking after the soundtrack?

Tom Shear of the Industrial/EBM group Assemblage 23 [http://www.assemblage23.com] mentioned on his site's messageboard that Trent Reznor may no longer be looking after the soundtrack of Doom III, information that was passed on to him from Daniel Myer--known for leading the classic Industrial group Haujobb [http://www.planetmyer.de/].

In Reznor's place? That's right. Myer, himself.

Now of course this is nothing more than a rumour that has not been confirmed by Id or sources close to Trent Reznor and at no point should we assume that Myer is now looking after the soundtrack but I ask you, hypothetically, do you think Myer's talents would be suffient enough to tackle the job?

Also, what would your opinions on the switch be if it were to be confirmed?

skinpack said:

I ask you, hypothetically, do you think Myer's talents would be suffient enough to tackle the job?

two words:

hell yes

Certainly Myer would not be the best choice for an ambience themed soundtrack, but imagine some of the string and percussive arrangements he would be able to integrate into the situational music--think of Haujobb's Penetration EP if nothing else.

Ct_red_pants said:

Hmm... dsm will be pleased...

Dunno, I don't know this Daniel Myer's music so I really can't say.
I do find this rumour hard to believe though, because at E3, Reznor seemed to have been pretty much involved in the music part. The little bit of music in the presentation sounded like something he could have done.
Also, judging by skinpack's last comment about him not being able to pull off an ambient sound track, I don't know what to think.

Let's just wait and see.

I hope to God this is not true, this is one musician that can make the best music for Doom3; something ambient, dark, atmospheric, hopefully not monotonous and something which is highly creative and versatile. I hope this is not true...

HateFactor said:

I'm hoping it's not true as what Treznor did for D3 audio-wise so far, is EXCELLENT. =/

I'm sure he'll remain the sound guy - this only suggests that he's no longer doing the music. Removing him completely would be really stupid because he seems to have done a perfect job on environmental sounds so far.

There's over 500MB of Reznor sound in the Alpha, and most of it is quite awesome.

Music is a different thing though.

dsm said:

Removing him completely would be really stupid because he seems to have done a perfect job on environmental sounds so far.

yes. Yes. YES. YES!. Those sounds are awesome!

dsm said:

I'm sure he'll remain the sound guy - this only suggests that he's no longer doing the music. Removing him completely would be really stupid because he seems to have done a perfect job on environmental sounds so far.

He most definately has, and it's certainly something to consider. Granted that Reznor does have computer engineering and programming experience, I would not be at all surprised if he's done additional coding and development of the sound engine itself.

Maybe Reznor doesn't want to do the music, since a) he's already got enough work with the sounds b) maybe he doesn't like making ambient music suiting a game that much. Or who knows.

myk said:

Maybe Reznor doesn't want to do the music, since a) he's already got enough work with the sounds b) maybe he doesn't like making ambient music suiting a game that much. Or who knows.

That seems unlikely to me, judging by his initial eagerness to make the Doom 3 music.

I'm kinda thinking: Rumours tend to be the twisted and mutated result of something a person once heard, maybe id are considering hiring another musician to do a bit of non-ambient music - they hired two bands for the Q3A music so it's not entirely impossible.

And to be honest, that would really please me if they had hired someone else to do a little metal music to compliment some of the heavier action situations in Doom 3 (after all, the first Doom game had great music, partially because it had such a diverse repetoire of music - not just ambient).

Just a thought.

the sound effect he made is really good.that`s only what i heard from video.

however the music,if the music can be anything close to DOOM1/2 +@hal-life,i`ll be pleased.

yes i can agree with that , the sounds Trent did so far are damn amazing , the crys and whispers thos really kick ass , also the demons , what they sound like is pretty damn good to :D specially that hellknight and pinky :X

Sounds are amazing, and its good to hear some people actually complimenting him for a change, he is an industrial metal artist so im sure he will have really nice metal music in the game if it requires it, but imo subtle music and something ambient without repition is what the game needs, cause playing the alpha makes it seem like a movie, and the more piercing the music is, the more it weill effect the flow of the game...so
subtle, atmospheric with a little metal will do nicely.

doomedout said:

Sounds are amazing, and its good to hear some people actually complimenting him for a change, he is an industrial metal artist so im sure he will have really nice metal music in the game if it requires it, but imo subtle music and something ambient without repition is what the game needs, cause playing the alpha makes it seem like a movie, and the more piercing the music is, the more it weill effect the flow of the game...so
subtle, atmospheric with a little metal will do nicely.

Well, I was kinda thinking that Trent isn't too good at doing orchestrial music - so if id hired someone in addition to Reznor, they could hire someone who is GOOD at doing orchestrial music so that we have some really diverse music in Doom 3.

I was a huge fan of NIN from Pretty Hate Machine on and have a large amount of respect for Trent, but... I couldn't be happier to hear that Dan Meyer from Haujobb may be lending a hand in this. I suggest all those who aren't familiar with the group check out Freeze Frame Reality. It's one of the darkest, moodiest, and most fascinating works of the deadened industrial scene of the period. If any of that translates to Doom3 music, I will be quite glad.

Freeze Frame... heh, I remember that hit from the J. Geils Band (sp?)

how can you people possibly be happy about news like this?
the quake soundtrack is quite simply the best soundtrack for any game, ever, and although I don't like nine inch nails' normal music, trent reznor has MAD skills and is a DEFINITE bonus to doom3

ragusauz said:

the quake soundtrack is quite simply the best soundtrack for any game, ever, and although I don't like nine inch nails' normal music, trent reznor has MAD skills and is a DEFINITE bonus to doom3

Heh, like two years ago my reaction to Trent Reznor doing the Doom 3 soundtrack would've been "How can you people POSSIBLY be happy about Trent Reznor doing the sound track for Doom 3??? His music for Quake 1 is simply the WORST piece of junk of a game soundtrack I've EVER heard"
Fortunately, I've learned (at least gradually) that people have different views and perceive music differently. And if I were you, I'd try not to take these rumours serious, because I can't see why Trent Reznor would suddenly back out now, nor do I see why id would let him go.

ragusauz said:

I'll agree the quake 1 sounds were among the best game sound work done in memory, but the music was surprisingly par imo.

I have no doubt that Trent can kick the living sh*t out of this project, but I also have faith that Daniel can as well.

ehh.. if i am not mistaken.. there is NOT going to be any background music in doom3.. exept some stuff in the cutscenes or so, or to make it even more creepy.. : thats what the pc gamer article said

Hmm... that's a flaw. Imagine a horror movie without background music. But in such an advanced game it would have to be scripted, and that's probably pretty complicated, since a game has many possibilities, unlike a movie.

There's going to be music in some places, to build up tension and horror - just like in a horror movie.

dsm said:

There's going to be music in some places, to build up tension and horror

What?? I'm already scared!
Where have you read that, by the way?

dsm said:

There's going to be music in some places, to build up tension and horror - just like in a horror movie.

thats what i ment with "exept in some cutscenes or so to make it more creapy"

i like the fact that there is olmost no music.. its way scarier like that.. i mean every background ambient is created by the level itself.. alle the sounds from machines, steam filled pipes and the enemies etc makes it way more scarier .plus. some cryes and screams of wounded victems can built up a pretty scary BG sound

I don't know if music will work in this game or not, but if there's hardly music at all I will definitely miss it. Doom and Doom II had great music and I still play it every now and then. It would be sad if I couldn't do that if there's hardly any music in Doom III at all. But, maybe it's for the best.

Disorder said:

What?? I'm already scared!
Where have you read that, by the way?

I think it was in the PC Gamer mag.