Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LouigiVerona

A daily puzzle game I invented

Great!

I am planning to do more development on the game, add authentication and come up with some sort of ratings, so that solving a board means something in the long run as well.

Cool stuff. I read the rules and I thought there were too many, but watching yesterday's solution is the best way to start, and it shows the game is pretty intuitive. How are the boards generated? Do some numbers appear more often than the others, do neighbours ready to pair appear more often than they should with a total "random" board? etc.

2 hours ago, vdgg said:

Cool stuff. I read the rules and I thought there were too many, but watching yesterday's solution is the best way to start, and it shows the game is pretty intuitive. How are the boards generated? Do some numbers appear more often than the others, do neighbours ready to pair appear more often than they should with a total "random" board? etc.

Yes, I am glad the solution helps!

The boards are completely random! You can read more about it here: https://louigiverona.com/ps/?page=faq

The rules of the game and the range of numbers chosen (which I had to experiment with for a bit) makes the boards looks designed, although they are not. Not in any direct way, anyway.

I am soon embarking on a new phase of work on the game, adding authentication, player ratings and so on. Hopefully, that would also add incentive to play the game from time to time. Right now only several people are playing the game, but I feel it has potential.

Nice. I got the daily world record on my first try, and now I tried five more times and couldn't replicate my score. If only I remembered what I did the first time.

On 11/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, Scypek2 said:

Nice. I got the daily world record on my first try, and now I tried five more times and couldn't replicate my score. If only I remembered what I did the first time.

Yes, this happens sometimes and can be very annoying. But it is part of the experience. I am considering if I should fix that by saving your best play on the client for you to replay, but there is also value in not being able to see even your own solution until the next day.

Also, the world record changes throughout the day as several people are playing the game, including one very strong player from California who tends to get the best scores and plays very unconventionally.

I don't think I've ever seen a game where anything short of achieving a world record counts as a failure... and setting a world record just earns you a small happy chirp and a tick mark like "okay, that's adequate enough". Now that's how you make a game called "perfectionist"! Good thing there's a separate counter tracking your personal best, or it would just be depressing. Maybe a personal best could be noted on the ending screen, too!

How about adding a tracker showing how many times the current record has been overtaken? That could be a fun thing to know, and make some victories extra satisfying.

And another thought I just had - how about a second "high" score counter that displays the highest point number ("worst" score) on the current board? All the same rules, but a different objective. Wouldn't that be interesting.

Haha!

Yeah, good points.

I don't think I've ever seen a game where anything short of achieving a world record counts as a failure...

Maybe I should not call it "world record", hehe. But also, if you get within 10 points of the world record, it actually says "Very good", not a failure.

How about adding a tracker showing how many times the current record has been overtaken? That could be a fun thing to know, and make some victories extra satisfying.

Yes! I have this on my roadmap, this had already been requested. I also like the idea.

And another thought I just had - how about a second "high" score counter that displays the highest point number ("worst" score) on the current board? All the same rules, but a different objective. Wouldn't that be interesting.

You mean like getting the worst score as an objective?

One thing that can be done regarding your previous suggestion is that in adding more stats, I can add the initial score, so as to show how much better everything got.

A little bump so maybe new people will join. I am still playing this quite frequently, >3 days per week, however I see very little competition lately.

2 hours ago, vdgg said:

A little bump so maybe new people will join. I am still playing this quite frequently, >3 days per week, however I see very little competition lately.

Ah, really good to know <3

Indeed, the amount of players has dwindled. My ex-colleague is playing almost daily, now I know that you are playing. I advertise the puzzle on reddit every 3 months or so, in the WebGames subreddit - you are not allowed to advertise more often.

And I feel that the puzzle has withstood the test of time for me. It's a really good and deep puzzle, and I would love for more people to make it a part of their daily/weekly routine!

Again, @vdgg huge thanks for playing and thank you for promoting!

On 11/9/2021 at 1:05 PM, vdgg said:

Added board rankings in the app, so now we can see who made the best score!